LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trusted sources for OEM parts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 11:53 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Trusted sources for OEM parts.

Just looking for what the community uses for cheaper reliable OEM sources besides dealer.

Rock auto was.my choice followed by summitracimg

Reason for this post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lexus-SC400-1990-2000-Engine-Mount-Front-OEM-12361-50101-/283601842944?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-09-19 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 12:07 AM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

If it's a genuine Lexus/Toyota part it's ultimately coming from a dealer. It may not be the dealer parts counter in your local area but anyone selling online is somehow tied to a dealership.
Butler Lexus of South Atlanta, MyLParts (IIRC) is Lexus of Sacramento, are 2 examples. Some Toyota dealers also have an online presence but you'll find fewer parts through a Toyota dealer.
The easiest way to sort through the options is by Googling the part number. Not sure what's going on with Amayama...?
Old 09-09-19, 12:16 AM
bradland

Scroll down and read the fine print-

Unless otherwise stated, ALL products sold through listings on Speedypartsdirect are AFTERMARKET. We have no affiliation with the Original Equipment Manufacturer or Vehicle Manufacturer (“OEM”). All references to the OEM are for identification purposes only. Speedypartsdirect is an independent parts and accessories retailer and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by the OEM manufacturer of this product. All usage of the OEM trademark, brand, and logo, are purely for reference purposes only. Speedypartsdirect makes no claim of ownership in such marks, and no claim of affiliation with the OEM.
Old 09-09-19, 07:30 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Just looking for what the community uses for cheaper reliable OEM sources besides dealer.

Rock auto was.my choice followed by summitracimg

Reason for this post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lexus-S...4383.l4275.c10
That's not an OEM part. If you are buying from E-bay or Amazon, make sure the LISTING says "OEM", and that the picture shows the part in the original Lexus packaging with Lexus part number printed on it. After some experience buying OEM parts you will learn to recognize them quickly. Basically, if a listing does not explicitly say that their parts are original, OEM, made by Toyota/Lexus, then, the part is not OEM.
Rockauto, has very few OEM parts (and even then, they are only made by the same company that makes OEM parts for Lexus which is not the same quality as OEM - we discussed that here, look it up). Amazon has one seller that is called "LEXUS" I believe, and they seem to have OEM parts. E-bay has few reliable sellers of Lexus OEM parts. Amayama is good too, although not always the cheapest.
Old 09-09-19, 07:48 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by peterls
That's not an OEM part. If you are buying from E-bay or Amazon, make sure the LISTING says "OEM", and that the picture shows the part in the original Lexus packaging with Lexus part number printed on it. After some experience buying OEM parts you will learn to recognize them quickly. Basically, if a listing does not explicitly say that their parts are original, OEM, made by Toyota/Lexus, then, the part is not OEM.
Rockauto, has very few OEM parts (and even then, they are only made by the same company that makes OEM parts for Lexus which is not the same quality as OEM - we discussed that here, look it up). Amazon has one seller that is called "LEXUS" I believe, and they seem to have OEM parts. E-bay has few reliable sellers of Lexus OEM parts. Amayama is good too, although not always the cheapest.

Which is the reason why I posted the question where does everyone get their genuine OEM stuff.
Old 09-09-19, 10:03 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 305 Likes on 112 Posts

The statement you circled is indicating that the part replaces OEM PN 12361-50101, not that it is the OEM part. If you look at the brand it states it is not OEM: "Other Part Number: 12361-50021 Surface Finish: Brand New Like OEM
Brand: Vollig"

I buy all my OEM parts from https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/ you will rarely find the same part cheaper elsewhere unless you happen to find someone on ebay re-selling a new OEM part that they just never used and need to get rid of.
Old 09-09-19, 10:04 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

To me that e-bay listing reads as:

"We are selling this part for Lexus which is OEM part #..." Normally, a seller will tell you what OEM part they are replacing with their non-OEM part.
If you do a search for "lexus sc400 engine mount OEM" on E-bay, the very first result will be for OEM, genuine engine mounts. Try it. Notice that in the description it will say:

"Genuine OEM, toyota factory warranty, 30 day money back if unopened", etc...
Old 09-09-19, 10:20 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

This is why I'm asking where do y'all get your OEM parts from. I'm not gonna go through eBay.
Old 09-09-19, 11:18 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

OEM and Genuine are not the same thing.

As you can see from the posts and the eBay wording just in this thread alone, it's clear that "OEM" is used so loosely that it is almost meaningless. At the very least, you need to be sure what the other guy means when they say "OEM."

Definitions that make sense to me, that I believe are standard for those that are careful about the wording:

original - the part that came on the car when it was originally sold. Usually the auto manufacturers don't manufacture hardly anything that is a replaceable part; they just do the vehicle assembly. So all these original parts are made by other companies, with more details below.

genuine Toyota (or whatever manufacturer) - a replacement part branded by the car manufacturer, distributed through dealers. Also called OE (with no S or M) for original equipment. Toyota can have those built by whomever they want; typically try to match original quality, sometimes superseded with improvements.

OES - original equipment supplier - the company (sometimes more than one) that manufactured a particular original part. For example, Koyo might be the OES for the timing belt idler bearing in 1991. So if you want to buy a replacement part, you might feel that buying the Koyo branded one is just as good as the higher-priced genuine Toyota one.

OEM - original equipment manufacturer - a broader definition than OES. So for example if SKF was the OES for the timing belt tensioner pulley but not the idler pulley, they could reasonably call themselves OEM for replacement idler pulleys, since they are similar components. Similar if they made idler pulley bearings in subsequent years.

True OEM, by this definition, is pretty legit, as are all of the above.

Anyway, I think I saw a description breakdown like that at pelicanparts.com or something many years ago and it makes sense to me. It may not matter much if so much of the world uses all of the above interchangeably, unfortunately calling everything OEM, but at least it's probably good to understand these multiple levels of authenticity in parts.

In looking at what sellers call their stuff, be wary of the simple word "for" that they tuck in there sometimes. For example "genuine ___ for Lexus PN 12345-67890". It's a genuine what? Genuine cardboard and paint built in a shed? OK that counts. "For" that Lexus part number? OK, it's a low grade part for that application. But it's not genuine Lexus at all.

They also say stuff like "same as OEM" - which means nothing at all. There's also a brand called OEM that makes tools. So read carefully.

I get my genuine parts usually from online dealers (e.g., Toyota / Lexus dealers). But I have had luck sometimes buying genuine parts from an individual seller on eBay - not a business, but some guy who bought these parts and then plans changed and he never got around to using thm. And of course, when time is of the essence and the part is small, I drive over to my Toyota or Lexus dealer.

I do knowingly use a lot of aftermarket parts, depending on the application. Those can be fake. I generally trust RockAuto.com to weed out the fake aftermarket stuff.

Last edited by oldskewel; 09-09-19 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (09-09-19)
Old 09-09-19, 12:02 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel
OEM and Genuine are not the same thing.

As you can see from the posts and the eBay wording just in this thread alone, it's clear that "OEM" is used so loosely that it is almost meaningless. At the very least, you need to be sure what the other guy means when they say "OEM."

Definitions that make sense to me, that I believe are standard for those that are careful about the wording:

original - the part that came on the car when it was originally sold. Usually the auto manufacturers don't manufacture hardly anything that is a replaceable part; they just do the vehicle assembly. So all these original parts are made by other companies, with more details below.

genuine Toyota (or whatever manufacturer) - a replacement part branded by the car manufacturer, distributed through dealers. Also called OE (with no S or M) for original equipment. Toyota can have those built by whomever they want; typically try to match original quality, sometimes superseded with improvements.

OES - original equipment supplier - the company (sometimes more than one) that manufactured a particular original part. For example, Koyo might be the OES for the timing belt idler bearing in 1991. So if you want to buy a replacement part, you might feel that buying the Koyo branded one is just as good as the higher-priced genuine Toyota one.

OEM - original equipment manufacturer - a broader definition than OES. So for example if SKF was the OES for the timing belt tensioner pulley but not the idler pulley, they could reasonably call themselves OEM for replacement idler pulleys, since they are similar components. Similar if they made idler pulley bearings in subsequent years.

True OEM, by this definition, is pretty legit, as are all of the above.

Anyway, I think I saw a description breakdown like that at pelicanparts.com or something many years ago and it makes sense to me. It may not matter much if so much of the world uses all of the above interchangeably, unfortunately calling everything OEM, but at least it's probably good to understand these multiple levels of authenticity in parts.

In looking at what sellers call their stuff, be wary of the simple word "for" that they tuck in there sometimes. For example "genuine ___ for Lexus PN 12345-67890". It's a genuine what? Genuine cardboard and paint built in a shed? OK that counts. "For" that Lexus part number? OK, it's a low grade part for that application. But it's not genuine Lexus at all.

They also say stuff like "same as OEM" - which means nothing at all. There's also a brand called OEM that makes tools. So read carefully.

I get my genuine parts usually from online dealers (e.g., Toyota / Lexus dealers). But I have had luck sometimes buying genuine parts from an individual seller on eBay - not a business, but some guy who bought these parts and then plans changed and he never got around to using thm. And of course, when time is of the essence and the part is small, I drive over to my Toyota or Lexus dealer.

I do knowingly use a lot of aftermarket parts, depending on the application. Those can be fake. I generally trust RockAuto.com to weed out the fake aftermarket stuff.
Other than rock auto where do you get your genuine OEM stuff?
Old 09-09-19, 12:26 PM
bradland

Other than rock auto where do you get your genuine OEM stuff?
Please stop using the acronym "OEM" you are only further confusing your own question. The acronym is absolutely meaningless. When you use it we have no idea if you are looking for a Toyota / Lexus part or a Denso part. Rockauto DOES NOT SELL Toyota / Lexus parts...

https://www.mylparts.com/
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html

All 3 of the above examples are either a Lexus dealership or affiliated with a group of Lexus dealerships.
Old 09-09-19, 12:32 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Please stop using the acronym "OEM" you are only further confusing your own question. The acronym is absolutely meaningless. When you use it we have no idea if you are looking for a Toyota / Lexus part or a Denso part. Rockauto DOES NOT SELL Toyota / Lexus parts...

https://www.mylparts.com/
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html

All 3 of the above examples are either a Lexus dealership or affiliated with a group of Lexus dealerships.
Awesome been ordering from both those top two for OEM stuff. I will clarify when I say OEM is from factory/dealer right? Basically replacing the original factory part.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-09-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 02:19 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Awesome been ordering from both those top two for OEM stuff. I will clarify when I say OEM is from factory/dealer right? Basically replacing the original factory part.
Right? No. If you care and you want to know, you can read post #9 carefully. If you want to be like most people, carry on.
Old 09-09-19, 02:20 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Right? No. If you care and you want to know, you can read post #9 carefully. If you want to be like most people, carry on.
I already did. Thus it's factory replacement is what I want. What came with the car from factory.
Old 09-09-19, 03:50 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

I use: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

I find that using dealerships isn't all that bad. my local dealership will price match what I find online (from another dealership's site of course).
this is very helpful when I need a part immediately, and cannot wait for shipping.

Quick Reply: Trusted sources for OEM parts.