LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'93 LS400 Speedometer starts "late"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 06:56 AM
Gbewley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 LS400 Speedometer starts "late"

I have a fairly recent problem with my speedometer and could use some guidance. The unit works, but sometimes it take five miles of driving, sometimes more. I am wondering if anyone has had this particular problem and could point me towards the culprit. I have read a good number of the posts dealing with speedometers, but most seem to be electrical in nature and as I understand it this issue (mine) could be mechanical or electrical.

Any and all help appreciated!

Glenn
Old 09-18-19, 07:53 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Is your problem temperature related?
If so, it would be the common problem caused by the liquid used for the lubrication of the needle shaft.
The confirmation can be done whacking the dashboard hard by your hand while the meter is still indicating 0.
Old 09-18-19, 08:04 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
If so, it would be the common problem caused by the liquid used for the lubrication of the needle shaft.
The confirmation can be done whacking the dashboard hard by your hand while the meter is still indicating 0.
Mine does it when its chilly out. A wack to the dashboard frees it.
Old 09-23-19, 05:01 AM
Gbewley
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info from both Yamae and Sin1UZFE. It appears this is exactly the problem on my car. Can we now talk about how to repair it? I removed the instrument console a number of years ago to have a broken solder repaired, and this was not too difficult. Can I assume that the needle shaft can be accessed from the rear of this cluster? Clean then relube or just relube? And what lubricant to use?

Thanks for any help!

Glenn
Old 09-23-19, 05:02 AM
Gbewley
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both...please see my follow up if you can help me with some questions therein.

Glenn
Old 09-23-19, 07:03 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

My 97 does it from time to time also. I don't think anything can be done about it as far as a permanent fix goes. Like Yamae said its some type of liquid in there, it seems like the whole needle is floating.
Old 09-23-19, 07:28 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Gbewley
Thank you both...please see my follow up if you can help me with some questions therein.

Glenn
Sounds like a lubrication liquid issue and it's not caused by the circuit. You can find more about it at the FAQ page How to fix your speedometer needle when it does not work.
The following users liked this post:
LS400FAN (09-25-19)
Old 09-23-19, 03:40 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Then after you break the needle messing around with this magical fairy lubricant come to us so we can replace it

https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...luster-repair/
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 09-23-19, 04:33 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Then after you break the needle messing around with this magical fairy lubricant come to us so we can replace it

https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...luster-repair/
Where in CA are ya? Whats the going rate for the type of repair OP needs? I need as well.
Old 09-23-19, 04:37 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

We are in Wisconsin. There is no way to determine the depth of repairs without seeing and testing the cluster first. One problem turns into 2, 3, or more. Any time someone sends a cluster for one issue we end up repairing a handful of other problems or doing preventative work.

However, to simply get the MPH gauge working would be the base labor cost of $84.99 plus $199.

We do appointments in San Diego only here https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...uster-repairs/
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 09-23-19, 04:46 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
We are in Wisconsin. There is no way to determine the depth of repairs without seeing and testing the cluster first. One problem turns into 2, 3, or more. Any time someone sends a cluster for one issue we end up repairing a handful of other problems or doing preventative work.

However, to simply get the MPH gauge working would be the base labor cost of $84.99 plus $199.

We do appointments in San Diego only here https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...uster-repairs/
Damn, Im in fresno. I only asked cuz it said WI and CA in your location
Old 09-25-19, 01:00 AM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm dealing with the same issues, sometimes the speedometer sometimes the tach and sometimes both. I haven't thought about whacking them, I'll give it a try the next time it happens. Its so infrequent when it happens that it doesn't bother me, I guess I'll get more serious if it does it more often or becomes a permanent situation. Thanks for the advice Yamae.
Old 09-25-19, 06:50 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Recommended Instrument Cluster Needle Shaft Lubricant?

What is the correct lubricant to use for speedometer and tachometer needle shafts?
Old 09-25-19, 08:14 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
What is the correct lubricant to use for speedometer and tachometer needle shafts?
I myself use a silicon fluid Shin-Etsu KF96. So far everything has been OK for 8 years without any issue. But I must add that to use this to a door lock motor was a big problem to me due to the side effect of the siloxane gas causing too much resistance between brushes and the commutator. You should not use KF96 to where there exist electric contacts.
Old 09-25-19, 06:56 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

I myself use a silicon fluid Shin-Etsu KF96. So far everything has been OK for 8 years without any issue. But I must add that to use this to a door lock motor was a big problem to me due to the side effect of the siloxane gas causing too much resistance between brushes and the commutator. You should not use KF96 to where there exist electric contacts.
Excellent information.

The properties of lubricant are especially critical to tachometer and speedometer needle shafts.

Only knew of Shin-Etsu from their rubber weatherstrip grease.

KF96 is available in different grades.

Can you clarify which part number you used?

...or post an image of the container.

Cleaning old lubricant is critical before applying new lubricant....

I wonder if anyone offering instrument cluster repairs is actually performing necessary cleaning.

The following link discussed cleaning and oiling of watch movements:

https://nobswatchmaker.com/blog/art-of-oiling-in-watchmaking

The next challenge will be to source Shin Etsu KF96 in the United States.

Have attached the specification manual contained in your link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
kf96_e.pdf (262.9 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-25-19 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (09-25-19)

Quick Reply: '93 LS400 Speedometer starts "late"