LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

We need more cars like the ls400

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 06:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Buyers stateside are continuing to buy SUV and crossover types. Buyers aren't concerned with longevity as they treadmill at 3-6 year intervals to have something new. OTOH car payment schedules are at 7 year terms now. Much discussion about can the "middle class" afford to buy their mid-class cars. Read through the LS500, 460 section on some of the owner experiences. Disheartening to read of the issues that are coming up. The complexity of the gadgets are more so to contend with.
Old 10-03-19, 07:53 PM
vassiton
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Producing what the majority wants is how businesses make money and stay in business. The result of not producing what sells is bankruptcy.
Boutique and niche market players would disagree, but I get your point. Toyota is one of the largest car producers in the world who can afford to do things like the LFA which is certainly not what the majority wants. They can afford to re-release the car that created Lexus.
Old 10-03-19, 08:15 PM
vassiton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Buyers stateside are continuing to buy SUV and crossover types. Buyers aren't concerned with longevity as they treadmill at 3-6 year intervals to have something new. OTOH car payment schedules are at 7 year terms now. Much discussion about can the "middle class" afford to buy their mid-class cars. Read through the LS500, 460 section on some of the owner experiences. Disheartening to read of the issues that are coming up. The complexity of the gadgets are more so to contend with.
Which is why I said the 460 is not a viable used car. Unnecessary complexity, obsolete tech, and particularly, crap that takes control away from the driver are pet peeves for me.
Old 10-03-19, 09:24 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vassiton
Boutique and niche market players would disagree, but I get your point. Toyota is one of the largest car producers in the world who can afford to do things like the LFA which is certainly not what the majority wants. They can afford to re-release the car that created Lexus.

Right now, Toyota would go to Buick and re-badge a LeSabre. I don't want to see that.
Old 10-03-19, 09:45 PM
vassiton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Right now, Toyota would go to Buick and re-badge a LeSabre. I don't want to see that.
Are you still upset that Toyota didn't do the Supra all by itself? LOL.
Old 10-04-19, 07:12 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by vassiton
The current LS has become a niche market vehicle. Sales of the LS have been declining since I bought my first one nearly 30 years ago. I've seen only two or three LS500's on the road since they came out and I might have seen the same one multiple times.

By the way, we love the "crap that takes control away from the driver". Pre-Collision System (PCS) on one of our current vehicles saved me from a high speed crash in 2014 when a stopped car pulled in front of me on an Interstate highway. We just plain love the adaptive cruise control on our vehicles - it makes long road trips much less stressful ... like the 200 mile drive we're doing today. And Lane Departure Warning with Steering Assist is incredible. When I couldn't see the lane lines in a late night torrential rainstorm on an Interstate highway north of Seattle earlier this year, Steering Assist kept me in my lane - it was like magic. I suspect some people in this discussion have never experienced this technology. Even the least expensive vehicle Toyota is making these days has it.
Old 10-04-19, 08:50 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

The current LS has become a niche market vehicle. Sales of the LS have been declining since I bought my first one nearly 30 years ago. I've seen only two or three LS500's on the road since they came out and I might have seen the same one multiple times.

By the way, we love the "crap that takes control away from the driver". Pre-Collision System (PCS) on one of our current vehicles saved me from a high speed crash in 2014 when a stopped car pulled in front of me on an Interstate highway. We just plain love the adaptive cruise control on our vehicles - it makes long road trips much less stressful ... like the 200 mile drive we're doing today. And Lane Departure Warning with Steering Assist is incredible. When I couldn't see the lane lines in a late night torrential rainstorm on an Interstate highway north of Seattle earlier this year, Steering Assist kept me in my lane - it was like magic. I suspect some people in this discussion have never experienced this technology. Even the least expensive vehicle Toyota is making these days has it.
I have, but then im still young and alert. So its more annoying right now, when im older and all those diminish im sure I would welcome it. But right now its added cost I do not need yet.
Old 10-04-19, 02:24 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I have, but then im still young and alert. So its more annoying right now, when im older and all those diminish im sure I would welcome it. But right now its added cost I do not need yet.
LOL, it's the young and alert that have the highest crash rate.
Old 10-04-19, 04:12 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

LOL, it's the young and alert that have the highest crash rate.
They are not alert obviously....
The following users liked this post:
vassiton (10-04-19)
Old 10-04-19, 04:35 PM
vassiton
Driver School Candidate

You are not the market I'm talking about. Enjoy all the crutches provided as do the majority. The car makers will provide. The market I'm talking about wants to be in control, doesn't want to pay for silly (to us) crap like soft close doors and electronic baby sitters. These things not only add unnecessary expense and break down but invalidate personal ability. But as I already said, this is all academic. I think I'll start looking for a 1936 auburn without seatbelts.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (10-04-19)