LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Knock Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 09:13 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Replacement

So I am having P0330 code which says Knock sensor needs to be replaced. It requires removal on intake manifold and this guy just lifted the whole thing
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjiR16ojLjU&t=93s

Can someone confirm this work for 98 LS 400 (California) cars as well?

I think throttle body gasket, intake manifold (only lower) needs to be replaced. What other gaskets/parts suggested to be replaced during this process?

Starter is only 20k miles old.

Last edited by Sherl; 09-19-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 09:21 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherl
So I am having P0330 code which says Knock sensor needs to be replaced. It requires removal on intake manifold and this guy just lifted the whole thing

I think throttle body gasket, intake manifold (only lower) needs to be replaced. What other gaskets/parts suggested to be replaced during this process?

What would a "california" car have differently?
Old 09-19-19, 09:27 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
What would a "california" car have differently?
Dont know. They have different cats and ECU AFAIK and the video is for Australian cars.
Old 09-19-19, 09:47 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Dont know. They have different cats and ECU AFAIK and the video is for Australian cars.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ck-repair.html
Old 09-19-19, 09:50 AM
Sherl
Advanced

It doesn't fix the real problem though right?
Old 09-19-19, 09:59 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

It doesn't fix the real problem though right?
https://www.google.com/search?q=98+l...iw=412&bih=743
Old 09-19-19, 10:04 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Indeed I made the search already. Let me know if you can answer those specific questions I posted. Go-ahead and read my post history.
Old 09-19-19, 10:32 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Indeed I made the search already. Let me know if you can answer those specific questions I posted. Go-ahead and read my post history.
Yes the answer would be yes based on those links I sent.
Old 09-19-19, 10:39 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Can I remove the 98 LS as in the video?
Only the lower gaskets and throttle body gaskets require replacing?

Also to tighten the knock sensor the service manual wants SST 09816–30010. Any way to get around this?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-19, 10:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Can I remove the 98 LS as in the video?
Only the lower gaskets and throttle body gaskets require replacing?

Also to tighten the knock sensor the service manual wants SST 09816–30010. Any way to get around this?

Thanks!
I'd personally replace all gaskets since I'd be in there anyway. Same reason why I had the timing belt kit doneas I needed to replace water pump and ps pump.
Old 09-19-19, 11:40 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I just read through those links you posted. (I have too much time on my hands now) I have more knowledge now but I didn't see the answers to Sherl's questions about Cali engines (more smog stuff) or which other parts to replace. Plus, I think Sherl is looking for someone with first hand experience. (someone who has done it themselves)

The "hack repair" had some good info even though it was for an RX, I'm sure it would work on the LS with the right wiring diagram. Thanks for that link.
Old 09-19-19, 11:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
I just read through those links you posted. (I have too much time on my hands now) I have more knowledge now but I didn't see the answers to Sherl's questions about Cali engines (more smog stuff) or which other parts to replace. Plus, I think Sherl is looking for someone with first hand experience. (someone who has done it themselves)

The "hack repair" had some good info even though it was for an RX, I'm sure it would work on the LS with the right wiring diagram. Thanks for that link.
Yup.......
Old 09-19-19, 11:48 AM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

I'd personally replace all gaskets since I'd be in there anyway. Same reason why I had the timing belt kit doneas I needed to replace water pump and ps pump.
Not the same, this is not a "convenience" situation, the intake and throttle body gaskets are non-reusable parts that must be replaced with new when they are disassembled or disturbed.
Also, the wire cutting vid is from a Lexus RX. So aside from the fact that it's not smart to cut wires to the ECU it's also a completely different vehicle...

To the OP- yes you can lift the upper and lower intake as one with fuel rails intact. The lower intake gaskets must be replaced.
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...&searchString=

The throttle body gasket should be replaced as well but many have re used this one so it's your call if you want to save a little $$$.
The SST (IIRC) is basically just a 27mm deep socket which you should be able to buy individually from a parts retailer like AutoZone. A 1-1/16" socket will work as well as it's 26.988mm.

Last edited by bradland; 09-19-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 11:50 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Not the same, this is not a "convenience" situation, these are non-reusable parts that must be replaced with new when they are disassembled or disturbed.
Also, the wire cutting vid is from a Lexus RX. So aside from the fact that it's not smart to cut wires to the ECU it's also a completely different vehicle...

To the OP- yes you can lift the upper and lower intake as one with fuel rails intact. The lower intake gaskets must be replaced.

The throttle body gasket should be replaced as well but many have re used this one so it's your call if you want to save a little $$$.
The SST (IIRC) is basically just a 27mm deep socket which you should be able to buy individually from a parts retailer like AutoZone. A 1-1/16" socket will work as well as it's 26.988mm.
So I'm essence, replace them right?
Old 09-19-19, 12:25 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradland
Not the same, this is not a "convenience" situation, the intake and throttle body gaskets are non-reusable parts that must be replaced with new when they are disassembled or disturbed.

I also read the Knock sensor wiring (splitter, I think) for CA is slightly different. Is that so? Also what if I leave knock sensor without replacement what am I looking at?

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor Replacement