LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Draining the coolant from full - only 3 gal come out!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 10:01 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Draining the coolant from full - only 3 gal come out!?

So, while I was replacing my strut rod bushings, I decided to do a total flush of the cooling system. Last time I did it was about 5-6 years ago, and I just replaced the radiator (not OEM) not long ago, so I figure now's as good time as any.
First: that one drain bolt and little drain on the left side is an absolute female dog to get to! I did this procedure way back and don't remember it being that difficult... but there is barely enough space there for a child's hand, and definitely not enough for my chunky fingers. Still managed to stick the plastic tube on it and unscrew the 14mm bolt. Tip: use two long extensions with your 1/2 in wrench. The bolt is 14mm. The biggest problem is attaching the plastic tube to the drain hole - mine fit perfectly, and I believe the inner diameter is 3/8" (best to buy few different ones at Home Depot - you'll need them all anyway, for brake bleeding (which is smaller) and so on). Another tip: to get the hose on the drain thingy, push your right hand through the space next to the oil filter - it can fit, you just may not be able to get it out of there, but who cares, at least you got the plastic hose in place! (just kiddin, but it is tight) And then left hand through the space near the O2 sensor. That's how I did mine.
The right one was easy, plenty of space, but you still need the extensions.
The front bleeder is at the bottom of the radiator, opens up with that plastic **** and has its own tube, so all you need is to position it inside a nice, big jug (there will be MORE than 1 gal coming out off there, so careful!)
Anyway, as I did all this, I got about:
1.25 gal from the radiator
1 gal from the left side (maybe a tad less?)
1 gal from the right side
Which makes for just a bit over 3 gallons. Yet my system was full to the top. Where did that one gallon go? (or almost one gallon). The car was on the ramps at the time, but still, that should not make it keep 1 gal of coolant, right?
I filled it up with water and prestone flush, using both the fill/drain plug on the front and the overfill tank, and got only about 2.5 gal in. Will do the check now, when the car is cool to add more.
Any ideas why I only got 3 gals out and could not fill up with more than 2.5 gal? Is there a serious blockage somewhere??? (But the car performs fine, while before, when I first bougth it, there were all kinds of little issues due to poor cooling, because the previous owner used green coolant)

Last edited by peterls; 09-22-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 03:54 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

You fill through the water inlet/bolt near the inlet manifold and let it run. It would empty/drain from your coolant reservoir and you need to fill your reservoir next time. I would emptied the reservoir before starting my car and filled with fresh fluids and then again after a day I refilled/topped up my reservoir as it was below the FULL mark.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html
Old 09-23-19, 08:26 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

And when you're draining it the coolant doesn't come out of the heater core. You don't get every drop just by opening the petcocks, that's why ya flush it. Hopefully when you flushed it you had the heat on high to open the valve to the heater core.
Old 09-24-19, 08:01 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
And when you're draining it the coolant doesn't come out of the heater core. You don't get every drop just by opening the petcocks, that's why ya flush it. Hopefully when you flushed it you had the heat on high to open the valve to the heater core.
OK I have to plead ignorance here. How do you flush it if not by opening all three petcocks? Should I have the engine running while adding water to have it push out the old coolant?