LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coolant expansion tank cap - pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19 | 01:31 PM
peterls
Instructor

Default Coolant expansion tank cap - pressure problem

Has anyone noticed that on gen-1 LS (maybe on the 2nd gen too?), the coolant expansion tank, or reservoir in everyday speak, will rather blow the coolant level sensor than open the cap in case of high pressure?
To make things worse, I only now realized that at some point few months ago, I had increased pressure and it blew my heater valve and my OEM radiator, but the stupid cap did NOT open!!! I even found tiny trace of coolant around the fill hole at the front (so it even leaked there, that's how high the pressure was), but NOTHING around the cap.
Now, that angers me. OK, there is a chance that my cap is old and not performing to spec (I may have to check that), but so many others complain of the level sensor leaking, which points to a problem with the cap not letting the pressure out, that I am begging to think that we have a systemic problem with that cap. A $20 part that can inflict expensive damage.
The rated pressure of the cap is 88kpa, which is 12.7psi. That sounds a bit too high to me. Any way to lower that? Any "adjustable" aftermarket caps" I would much rather have a leak at the cap then have to replace radiator ($350), heater valve ($100), coolant level sensor ($200) and who knows what else.
Old 09-22-19 | 03:49 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by peterls
Has anyone noticed that on gen-1 LS (maybe on the 2nd gen too?), the coolant expansion tank, or reservoir in everyday speak, will rather blow the coolant level sensor than open the cap in case of high pressure?
To make things worse, I only now realized that at some point few months ago, I had increased pressure and it blew my heater valve and my OEM radiator, but the stupid cap did NOT open!!! I even found tiny trace of coolant around the fill hole at the front (so it even leaked there, that's how high the pressure was), but NOTHING around the cap.
Now, that angers me. OK, there is a chance that my cap is old and not performing to spec (I may have to check that), but so many others complain of the level sensor leaking, which points to a problem with the cap not letting the pressure out, that I am begging to think that we have a systemic problem with that cap. A $20 part that can inflict expensive damage.
The rated pressure of the cap is 88kpa, which is 12.7psi. That sounds a bit too high to me. Any way to lower that? Any "adjustable" aftermarket caps" I would much rather have a leak at the cap then have to replace radiator ($350), heater valve ($100), coolant level sensor ($200) and who knows what else.
The radiator is $100, heater valve is $60, thermostat is $20 and coolant level sensor is $100 or buy from ebay used.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,radiator,2172
Old 09-22-19 | 06:15 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

No I never noticed that. I have noticed that these engines tend to generate a lot of heat though.
Old 09-23-19 | 08:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
No I never noticed that. I have noticed that these engines tend to generate a lot of heat though.
That's cuz you've only been here a few months. Stick around for 10 years, you'll notice it. And yes, these engines sure do get hotter then you'd think.
peterls; I've had the sensor go bad and leak on both my LS's. Not sure if the caps were bad, I never changed them. I just put some kind of sealer around the sensors. Don't ask what it was cuz I don't know. It was a sealer we used at work on our spray foam insulation machines. Wish I grabbed some before I stopped working.
Old 09-23-19 | 11:50 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
I didnt either, but then again I also been here a few months. But I did replace the cap early on.
Old 09-23-19 | 08:16 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by peterls
The rated pressure of the cap is 88kpa, which is 12.7psi. That sounds a bit too high to me. Any way to lower that?
I don't think that 88kpa is too high. Almost every JDM car is designed to use a cap of 88kpa.
I worry that the cap you used was not working right when you had the problem.
Old 09-24-19 | 07:44 AM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yamae
I don't think that 88kpa is too high. Almost every JDM car is designed to use a cap of 88kpa.
I worry that the cap you used was not working right when you had the problem.
That's my impression too. Guess I will be getting a new OEM cap ASAP.
Thanx everyone for the responses!