LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS 400 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 07:12 PM
Meracdo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS 400 starting problem

I have a LS400 1990 I was driving it with my wife to the bank and it just stop when I pulled over it wouldn't crank it wouldn't turn on it was nothing like the motor wasn't even there I've checked the fuel pump thinking it was that it's getting fuel now when I go to turn it on it's not even sending any signal to the starter and it was before I need help to get the problem solved I can't understand what it could be I turn the key and there's no crank no start no indication at all I checked the lights it's not the battery can someone help me with this let's have the problem already
Old 09-24-19, 07:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Welcome Mercado! That's one long sentence so a bit hard to decipher what exactly you tested and what the issue is, but it sounds like the engine isn't cranking at all?

What 'lights' did you check (how do you know the battery is good)? Are you getting any check engine lights?

Sounding to me like something in the battery / alternator / starter if I understand correctly, but don't think the starter being bad would have caused it to die on you while driving.
The following users liked this post:
Meracdo1 (09-24-19)
Old 09-24-19, 07:41 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

If it's not even cranking there was no use in checking the fuel pump. But anyway, it sounds more like a dead battery, or the starter relay is bad or the positive battery cable to the alternator has a bad connection. My 93 would shut off like this when the battery died when I was driving with a bad alternator. All the lights still worked but not enough juice to crank the engine. Try another battery and check ALL the main fuses and relays. IF the battery is dead then your alternator might not be charging.
I agree with Dave, punctuation goes a long way to understanding when we're reading.
Old 09-24-19, 10:13 AM
Meracdo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I was driving it it was running it turned off like if it was the fuel pump so I checked the fuel pump either way now it won't crank are getting any spark whatsoever at least that's how it seems normally you would hear a click on the starter if the relay was out. The battery it's good it's brand new so I know it's not the battery is there some kind of safety when you switch out the battery that I don't know about. Are these 1990 LS400 known for the ECU to go out.? Is there anyone that has had the same problems with their car.?
Old 09-24-19, 10:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If your alternator was out, the battery could have drained without charging too - even a new battery sometimes has faults. Have you at least tried jumping it? Would eliminate the easiest potential issue to diagnose.