LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Steering column rattle (possible bearing problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 12:48 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Steering column rattle (possible bearing problem)

Future me edit: This turned out to be my lower ball joints. Replacing those tightened everything right up. How they affected the steering wheel is beyond me, but hey, it did the trick.

I've been trying to track down this for quite some time, and I've finally found what seems to be the issue with help from my local shop who were on a hunt to find what was going on.

Symptoms:

Steering column can move. I can grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and move it vertically up and down by a millimeter, maybe two, it's very very slight. It wobbles up and down by a tiny amount and "clunks" as it moves. When driving over bumps at low and high speeds, I can feel the wheel and entire steering column move a tiny bit. If I get in the driver footwell, I can grab the shaft and press up on it and it will move up and down a tiny bit. So it would appear there is something worn down outside of tolerances and allowing the entire column to move. It does not move left and right at all, only vertically up and down.

I made a audio clip of the sound it will make during normal driving:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1MM68ujdVp0

So the shop took apart the column. At first we tried to do a OEM TSB that my car was a part of:
http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/L...B-ST001-04.pdf

Once they got it apart, they said this didn't make any sense for what was happening and the parts that I acquired for it weren't what was at issue.

They dug down and their best guess is a lower bearing at the lower end of the column. The gentleman who did the teardown physically looked at the bearing itself and got a P#: 18BSW-05A.

Sadly they couldn't source one. You can only buy from NSK (the oem) themselves in quantities of 100. I can find some sources on google, but I can't tell if the item itself is actually in-stock and I trust their judgement that they couldn't source one. Dude was looking on ebay and everything.

The only other option is to find a used steering column and replace the entire assembly, but that brings in other problems as potentially the tilt motors could be impacted from this. I'm not gonna replace the entire column.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Insight? I'm trying to chase down this damn noise and would really like to nix this.

If this is the problem and it parts really don't exist, then let this be a warning to anyone trying to find a solution to their noise!

Last edited by 400fanboy; 11-02-21 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 02:12 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

If they found what the issue is and can't get a part just shim it somewhere so it does not move anymore. I don't know where it could be shimmed but if possible it might work. If it only makes noise and is not causing more damage it might not be worth it. Even if you find a single part that you need, could not fix it.
Old 09-28-19, 08:35 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I've been trying to track down this for quite some time, and I've finally found what seems to be the issue with help from my local shop who were on a hunt to find what was going on.

Symptoms:

Steering column can move. I can grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and move it vertically up and down by less than a millimeter, it's very very slight. It wobbles up and down by a tiny amount and "clunks" as it moves. When driving over bumps at low and high speeds, I can feel the wheel and entire steering column move a tiny bit. If I get in the driver footwell, I can grab the shaft and press up on it and it will move up and down a tiny bit. So it would appear there is something worn down outside of tolerances and allowing the entire column to move. It does not move left and right at all, only vertically up and down.

I made a audio clip of the sound it will make during normal driving:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1MM68ujdVp0

So the shop took apart the column. At first we tried to do a OEM TSB that my car was a part of:
http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/L...B-ST001-04.pdf

Once they got it apart, they said this didn't make any sense for what was happening and the parts that I acquired for it weren't what was at issue.

They dug down and their best guess is a lower bearing at the lower end of the column. The gentleman who did the teardown physically looked at the bearing itself and got a P#: 18BSW-05A.

Sadly they couldn't source one. You can only buy from NSK (the oem) themselves in quantities of 100. I can find some sources on google, but I can't tell if the item itself is actually in-stock and I trust their judgement that they couldn't source one. Dude was looking on ebay and everything.

The only other option is to find a used steering column and replace the entire assembly, but that brings in other problems as potentially the tilt motors could be impacted from this. I'm not gonna replace the entire column.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Insight? I'm trying to chase down this damn noise and would really like to nix this.

If this is the problem and it parts really don't exist, then let this be a warning to anyone trying to find a solution to their noise!
Check out this post;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aft-clunk.html

For some reason the lower column shaft outer diameter does not watch the lower bearing inner diameter.
Old 09-28-19, 10:56 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Check out this post;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aft-clunk.html

For some reason the lower column shaft outer diameter does not watch the lower bearing inner diameter.
I remember this thread vaguely from my searchings, but this was ages ago before I knew what the problem was. Thanks for this. Unfortunate there doesn't appear to be any kind of reasonable solution.

The below visually looks like it makes sense for the vertical play I experience within my entire column.

Steering column rattle (possible bearing problem)-irdkbri.png