LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another LS400 Brake squeal question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 08:52 AM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS400 Brake squeal question.

Hello All,

As evidenced by a search, others have had a brake noise issue and I've taken steps that were suggested in other posts but to no avail.

Let me give you a brief summary and hopefully someone can offer some further advice:

Picked up a 2000 LS400 for a song from a family member. Car has 200k on the ODO.
Brakes had some wobble in the rotors so I did a full brake job about 6 mos ago; new rotors, pads, hardware, and fluid.
Bought the mid-grade parts at O'Reilly's (Brake Best select).

Did everything by the book; brushed the hubs, sprayed down calipers and new rotors with brake clean, lubed back of pads and hardware with copper anti seize, did the break-in procedure as per instructions on the pads.
Worked great for a week. Then I started to get a viscous squeal in the morning, on the first couple of stops...like wake the neighborhood loud. Once they warmed a bit it went away for the rest of the trip.

So I start reading on the forums and find out that copper antiseize isn't the correct product for this application. So last week I take the pads out, clean the backing of all antiseize residue (being careful not to get any cleaner on the friction surface). I also cleaned the calipers and rotors with liberal amounts of brake clean. Also took some 100 grit sandpaper to the friction surface of the pads, then used proper brake lubricant on the backs of the pads, the shims, the outer edge of the pad backing, and the pins.
Reassembled and the squeal was gone...for 3 days. Now the noise is back in full force.

So my questions are:

1: Could the problem come from the quality of the pads? I've used this brand on other cars with good results. Strange that a light sanding would help things.

2: Could the antiseize have dripped onto the pad at some point and ruined them? Again the sanding helped so I'd be confused if this was the case.

3: Is it possible that the original bedding procedure was somehow not done correctly and if so should I repeat it? Do i need to resurface the rotors since they've been used a couple of thousand miles?

Sorry for being so long winded.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-19, 09:10 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

There are pads out there which will squeal no matter what, so you may be out of luck. They typically squeal once or twice when cold only. Used to drive me nuts when I installed a pair of pads which were guaranteed not to squeal (thermoquiet). Then I replaced them with akebono and no more problems.
I use copper based lubricant and get zero squeal. I don't like the sticky kind because it only attracts dust and turns into mud after a while. For me, 3M, copper based lubricant is the best.
The following users liked this post:
AlfaMetal (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 09:16 AM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Originally Posted by peterls
There are pads out there which will squeal no matter what, so you may be out of luck. They typically squeal once or twice when cold only. Used to drive me nuts when I installed a pair of pads which were guaranteed not to squeal (thermoquiet). Then I replaced them with akebono and no more problems.
I use copper based lubricant and get zero squeal. I don't like the sticky kind because it only attracts dust and turns into mud after a while. For me, 3M, copper based lubricant is the best.
Thanks for the reply. The antiseize I used was definitely sticky when I went to remove it.
O'Reilly's has a warranty on their parts. I might try another set if they'll swap them out. Do you recommend another bedding and /or turning the rotors?
Old 10-02-19, 09:30 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfaMetal
Do you recommend another bedding and /or turning the rotors?
I don't think your rotors would need to be turned after only a couple thousand miles, just run some sandpaper over them. I would bed the brakes again. I do mine every once in a while, about every 5k- 10k miles, just to get any dust off of them. Just make sure they are somewhat cooled down before your last stop.
AlfaMetal (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 09:39 AM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
I don't think your rotors would need to be turned after only a couple thousand miles, just run some sandpaper over them. I would bed the brakes again. I do mine every once in a while, about every 5k- 10k miles, just to get any dust off of them. Just make sure they are somewhat cooled down before your last stop.

Great, thanks again.
Old 10-02-19, 11:43 AM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

These often get discarded during a brake job, you need them...

Anti Squeal Shim Kit- 0494550012
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...494550012.html
AlfaMetal (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 11:46 AM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
These often get discarded during a brake job, you need them...

Anti Squeal Shim Kit- 0494550012
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...494550012.html
I reused the old ones when I installed the new pads. Should I get new each time?
Old 10-02-19, 11:57 AM
bradland

I reused the old ones when I installed the new pads. Should I get new each time?
They can be reused.
With the shims intact you shouldn't need any anti-seize or anti-squeal compound.
AlfaMetal (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 11:59 AM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
They can be reused.
With the shims intact you shouldn't need any anti-seize or anti-squeal compound.
But the brake lube that I applied can't HURT, right?

Thanks for the tips BTW
Old 10-02-19, 12:19 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I am driving my 12th LS400 and have put brakes on a lot of them.... but being a retired shop owner i do now and did for 30 years in my shop used:
As part of the BG Stop Squeal® Service, BG Stop Squeal® is a safe and effective product for eliminating or preventing brake noise by infusing the brake pad with ingredients that reduce sticking between the pad and rotor. When pressure is applied, the vibrations are significantly reduced, thus brake noise is stopped.
Old 10-02-19, 12:40 PM
bradland

But the brake lube that I applied can't HURT, right?

Thanks for the tips BTW
I wouldn't think so.
Old 10-02-19, 12:44 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
I'd used wagner thermoquiets in my other cars without any problems, but immediately got a squeal when I put them on my Lexus. I ended up throwing them away and buying another brand because it drove me crazy. I think I'll try your akebono next time I change them out.
Old 10-02-19, 02:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

When reusing the shims, make sure they are clean and smooth. Most the hardware has a fair amount of wear so I don't reuse those on my brake jobs. If the guide pin on the front calipers is bent, it may be a cause of squealing too. Those are easy to check by removing and letting them roll on a flat surface.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...735-50010.html
Old 10-02-19, 02:17 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

I used the cheap stuff before, squeaking when cold. But went with centric and akebono. Good so far, just a small light squeak when wet or cold.
Old 10-02-19, 02:21 PM
AlfaMetal
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe

I am driving my 12th LS400 and have put brakes on a lot of them.... but being a retired shop owner i do now and did for 30 years in my shop used:
As part of the BG Stop Squeal® Service, BG Stop Squeal® is a safe and effective product for eliminating or preventing brake noise by infusing the brake pad with ingredients that reduce sticking between the pad and rotor. When pressure is applied, the vibrations are significantly reduced, thus brake noise is stopped.
Thank you.
Do you do a standard break in after applying the product?

Quick Reply: Another LS400 Brake squeal question.