LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

87 Octane Gasoline with ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19 | 09:53 AM
fondu
Intermediate

Default 87 Octane Gasoline with ethanol

I know this topic has been discussed time and time again but I was looking through my UCF10 owners manual the other day and found the attached statement.

I assume that 87 octane with 10% or less ethanol is OK to run in our machines. Personally i use 90 octane ethanol-free. My local station has good prices along with always fresh fuel since I live in a coastal town in florida and people are filling their boats up constantly.

Idk what to think honestly after reading this haha
Old 10-11-19 | 11:25 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Mine mentions the same thing but also said this
Old 10-11-19 | 11:52 AM
fondu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Mine mentions the same thing but also said this
Meaning gasoline without ethanol? Correct?
Old 10-11-19 | 11:57 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by fondu
Meaning gasoline without ethanol? Correct?
My manual matched what yours says. No lower than 87 and no more than 10% ethanol. Idk if I'd run 87 tho.
Old 10-11-19 | 12:08 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
My manual matched what yours says. No lower than 87 and no more than 10% ethanol. Idk if I'd run 87 tho.
Okay i gotcha. Yea i wouldnt either, just found it interesting.
Old 10-11-19 | 12:26 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Latest push now is to raise the percentage to 15 from the current 10.
Some push back from the manufacturers. Alcohol is very corrosive (ask my liver!)
and a lot has to be changed to use E85 (85% Alcohol/15% Gasoline).

Apparently is does not take much if any modifications to run 10%.
If they start selling 15% it will degrade the fuel systems and those companies
that are not already making fuel tanks, lines, pumps, filters, sensors, gaskets,
fittings and caps will have to switch over.

It was apparently more Politics than Engineering to begin the whole Gasohol
transformation. If you built a car that Could use E85 you could qualify for
extra MPG credits (only burning 15% as much gasoline from foreign sources, right?)
Did not matter whether anyone Did use the stuff or not.
Old 10-11-19 | 01:31 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
Some push back from the manufacturers. Alcohol is very corrosive (ask my liver!)

that are not already making fuel tanks, lines, pumps, filters, sensors, gaskets,

extra MPG credits (only burning 15% as much gasoline from foreign sources, right?)
Aside from the corrosive effects of Ethanol, and proposals to increase E-10% to E-15%, which results in 3-4% and 5-6% less MPG respectively, the auto manufacturers have been allowed to provide fictitious mileage and emissions date using E-0 (100% "certification" gasoline-which is not available to 95% of us)

We're being scammed at the pump and via false mileage/emissions data on the window stickers.
Old 10-11-19 | 06:25 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer

Yes, from my limited understanding on the topic i believe corn growers are subsidized by the US government. So one would think they really dont have to grow any decent crop that would be considered edible by human standards, just something that can be processed into ethanol.

The whole thing is a mess and done for the sake of "cleaner" emissions at the cost of fuel efficiency and many folks hard earned cash.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (10-14-19)
Old 10-14-19 | 11:34 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

ethanol is not something you want to use if you are letting your car sit for months, use it regularly and it will do fine just like any other car just follow the instructions. I tested running ethanol averaging up to 50% alcohol fuel in my 1995 jeep wrangler for 10 years I did that, it idled a little higher but it did excellent for 10 years of very high mix of alcohol fuel, no issues at all, in fact the whole fuel system was very clean, cleaner than most any other car, letting it sit is where you will run into problems because of its evaporative qualities similar to alcohol that you drink, it has closer relations to water than it does oil, like pure gasoline so you have to be mindful of that
Old 10-15-19 | 12:06 PM
timmy0tool

lucky you can get ethanol free gas. we have our own special blend here in CA, mostly all with 10%.

I would never go below 91 octane on the 1UZ but that's just me.
The following users liked this post:
OMAHA (10-17-19)
Old 10-16-19 | 05:49 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fondu
I know this topic has been discussed time and time again but I was looking through my UCF10 owners manual the other day and found the attached statement.

I assume that 87 octane with 10% or less ethanol is OK to run in our machines. Personally i use 90 octane ethanol-free. My local station has good prices along with always fresh fuel since I live in a coastal town in florida and people are filling their boats up constantly.

Idk what to think honestly after reading this haha
Personally I would NEVER use anything less the 91 octane and whenever possible no ETHANOL, luckily we have this in our area. I strongly recommend Shell premium mainly because it contains nitrogen which really does a great job dissolving the carbon build up on your valves. There's no question that you can run cheaper fuels but there is no long term benefit in doing so imo, in fact I believe it does more harm to your engine. If you haven't done so yet, just try using a couple of tankfuls of Shell Premium with nitrogen, I guarantee you will notice the difference in the performance of your engine. Imo, we have some of the best cars ever built and I've always had the mindset of maintaining them with nothing but the best. I have a '98 LS with 330k miles and a '95 LS with 275k miles and they both kick butt once you touch the accelerator, we didn't get this kind of performance until I switched to the Shell premium exclusively about 5 yrs ago. Yes my friend, there is a difference, a huge difference imo. Give it a shot.
Old 10-16-19 | 08:38 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Personally I would NEVER use anything less the 91 octane and whenever possible no ETHANOL, luckily we have this in our area. I strongly recommend Shell premium mainly because it contains nitrogen which really does a great job dissolving the carbon build up on your valves. There's no question that you can run cheaper fuels but there is no long term benefit in doing so imo, in fact I believe it does more harm to your engine. If you haven't done so yet, just try using a couple of tankfuls of Shell Premium with nitrogen, I guarantee you will notice the difference in the performance of your engine. Imo, we have some of the best cars ever built and I've always had the mindset of maintaining them with nothing but the best. I have a '98 LS with 330k miles and a '95 LS with 275k miles and they both kick butt once you touch the accelerator, we didn't get this kind of performance until I switched to the Shell premium exclusively about 5 yrs ago. Yes my friend, there is a difference, a huge difference imo. Give it a shot.
Damn, i only have 182k on my 94. I will definitely give Shell premium a try for a couple of tanks.
Old 10-16-19 | 11:05 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Great let us know if you notice any difference, good luck.
Old 10-17-19 | 12:03 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i get the feeling 87 will be perfectly fine for just puttering around, which is generally all i do in my cars... however the puttering around is intermittently interrupted by a nice 2/3 throttle sustained pull to 120, and other moments of briefly reaching 5000+ rpm (gotta let the ACIS activate every now and then) so i always use premium gas
Old 10-17-19 | 12:07 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Default 94 ls400

I've had my 94 for about 5 years and I've use nothing but 91 or higher and Costco gasoline, sometimes QT.....they have 10% ethanol tho as I live in nebraska. my 1UZ had 199k when I bought it and 280k now and I like blowing away unsuspecting street riders who wanna test this old Lexus....LMAOOO

Quick Reply: 87 Octane Gasoline with ethanol