LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car won't start after fuel pump replacement,

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 02:52 PM
Rad1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after fuel pump replacement,

I replaced the fuel pump on my 94 lexus ls400 it only has 68'000 miles, it still won't start I have not checked the fuel filter yet I will as soon as some the snow melts... how can I check to see if there's gas getting to the injector rails ??? what should the pressure be there ???I replaced it with an OEM TYC pump.. I know it's working I can here it 2-3 seconds after trying to start the car, I took the line off and tried to start it.. gas was coming from it, I put heftier clamps on all the hoses..... thanks
Old 12-09-19, 04:23 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, it's fuel, spark, and timing basically.
If you have all of those three then generally it should start.
It has low miles, that's great. It seems you are getting fuel.
Are you getting spark?

Old 12-09-19, 05:19 PM
Rad1
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel pump

I have not checked for that yet... up to the point of the fuel pump crapping out on me one night it was running fine,checking for spark will be next, I had fuel coming out of the new pump while in the tank but is there anyway to make sure it's getting to the injector rails... has it ever happened where air gets in the system that needs to be bled out ??? I'd like to make sure there is fuel at the end of the system.. I know there are bolts at the end of the injector rail... can those be removed, is there a washer there, that would need to be replaced ?? if there is fuel there then I'm going to check for spark, but up to the fuel pump issue it always started right up and ran without any problem, I do live in upstate NY and since it's in good shape do not drive it unless the roads are dry.... I did once in the snow and never again....so sometimes it may sit for a week or two before being driven...
Old 02-11-20, 01:42 PM
Rad1
Driver School Candidate

Just an update on my 94 lexus ls400 that will not start, I had it towed to the Mechanic, he said the camshaft, crankshaft sensors etc are all getting 5v when done manually, but when going through the car they are not, I replaced the ECU, he said he replaced a few years ago, he thought the new one may be bad as it's not throwing any codes... I sent it back to where I got it.. they told me my core was good and so was the new one they sent me, I asked for my core back, they said to look for a relay or broken wire... I'm not sure what relay I should check and/or where I should check for a broken wire... ( I know there are many to check ) someone said to look in the trunk ??? it's still at the shop... my mechanic said he spent 3 hrs working on this last week I was just looking for some advice or direction I could give him... could there be a bad ground ??? thanks for any info
Old 02-11-20, 02:43 PM
Rad1
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Just an update on my 94 lexus ls400 that will not start, I had it towed to the Mechanic, he said the camshaft, crankshaft sensors etc are all getting 5v when done manually, but when going through the car they are not, I replaced the ECU, he said he replaced a few years ago, he thought the new one may be bad as it's not throwing any codes... I sent it back to where I got it.. they told me my core was good and so was the new one they sent me, I asked for my core back, they said to look for a relay or broken wire... I'm not sure what relay I should check and/or where I should check for a broken wire... ( I know there are many to check ) someone said to look in the trunk ??? it's still at the shop... my mechanic said he spent 3 hrs working on this last week I was just looking for some advice or direction I could give him... could there be a bad ground ??? thanks for any info
Old 02-11-20, 03:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

check all fuses in the engine bay and driver side kick panel to ensue all fuses are not broken.
there are relays in those fuse boxes as well.

we need to know more of what you are experiencing with a no-start condition.
is the starter able to engage when the key is turned or is there just silence? many things could be wrong so let us know how it's not starting.
could be fuel related, where fuel pump do go bad, and not spark related.
do all the dash lights turn on when the key is set to ignition? more details you provide the better.
Old 02-11-20, 05:00 PM
Rad1
Driver School Candidate

Yes the starter kicks the engine over, the dash light come one.... I just replaced the fuel pump, and can hear that running, I did not check any under the kick panel, my Mechanic did say the ECU for the fuel pump was fine.... the car one night died I was able to get it started long enough to coast in the driveway, did not hear the fuel pump running so replaced that with an OEM pump and filter... it never would start after the last time coasting into the driveway....