LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400 With 34K Miles Sets the Gold Standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 09:59 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus LS400 With 34K Miles Sets the Gold Standard

Lexus LS400 With 34K Miles Sets the Gold Standard
By Brett Foote

Lexus' LS400 has forged a reputation for reliability that will last a lifetime, and this one's got plenty left to give.
Old 01-06-20, 01:15 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

daaaaaamn that thing is nice

here's the original listing with more pics: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-lexus-ls400-2/
Old 01-06-20, 01:51 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like it sold for $15k!
Honestly I didn't think it would go much beyond $10k. But this is a gem for a Toyota/Lexus collector, and at that price I'm sure it ended up in good hands.
Old 01-06-20, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Stunning car!
Old 01-06-20, 04:40 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

There aren't many vehicles where I'd opt for this color combo. But it really works for the LS400. Beautiful car.
Old 01-07-20, 08:10 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks nice, missing heated seats and nav.
Old 01-07-20, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Looks nice, missing heated seats and nav.
This car is about condition and mileage not equipment lol

Not having the nav would be a plus for me, it does have the Nakamichi audio which you couldnt get with nav.
Old 01-07-20, 08:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This car is about condition and mileage not equipment lol

Not having the nav would be a plus for me, it does have the Nakamichi audio which you couldnt get with nav.
Would also rather not have nav. However the article states well equipped....
Old 01-07-20, 08:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That car is actually really well equipped. The heated seats were regional, cars in southern regions didnt have heated seats. The sticker shows an MSRP of 58k which is pretty highly equipped, that was a similar MSRP to my 98 LS400 equipped this same way except with heated seats since I was in a northern region. Its either/or with Nakamichi or nav.

Only thing its missing is the air suspension which was really really rare.

In any event, would you buy a wrung out car because it has heated seats over this one? Crapping on a special car like this because of equipment makes zero sense to me.
Old 01-07-20, 09:08 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

That car is actually really well equipped. The heated seats were regional, cars in southern regions didnt have heated seats. The sticker shows an MSRP of 58k which is pretty highly equipped, that was a similar MSRP to my 98 LS400 equipped this same way except with heated seats since I was in a northern region. Its either/or with Nakamichi or nav.

In any event, would you buy a wrung out car because it has heated seats over this one? Crapping on a special car like this because of equipment makes zero sense to me.
Almost indeed

But yes I'd buy a "rung out" car with meticulous maintenance records than this one. Since I drive my cars not collect them.

Regional huh my car has always been in CA and has heated seats so....
Old 01-07-20, 09:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

That car is actually really well equipped. The heated seats were regional, cars in southern regions didnt have heated seats.

I don't think he's "crapping" on it, just pointing some things out.
My next car will be bought from Florida and I would buy a different one WITH heated seats. (cuz I'm in the north) I also wouldn't pay that much for this car. I can point out alot of things wrong with this one (if ya pay that much) but I'll just mention a couple; When sent to Wa. they had it spruced up by getting rid of the "door dings", they touched up some paint but not all and why wouldn't they fix the tiny rust spot on top of the drivers door? The thing about this car that bugs me the most is the seats, they all look like they were run through a washer and dryer. The material is soooo loose. I'm not saying the car isn't good, just not for me. I'm putting down the price, not the car.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 09:16 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
I don't think he's "crapping" on it, just pointing some things out.
My next car will be bought from Florida and I would buy a different one WITH heated seats. (cuz I'm in the north) I also wouldn't pay that much for this car. I can point out alot of things wrong with this one (if ya pay that much) but I'll just mention a couple; When sent to Wa. they had it spruced up by getting rid of the "door dings", they touched up some paint but not all and why wouldn't they fix the tiny rust spot on top of the drivers door? The thing about this car that bugs me the most is the seats, they all look like they were run through a washer and dryer. The material is soooo loose. I'm not saying the car isn't good, just not for me. I'm putting down the price, not the car.
I'm not even "crapping" on it just stated it's missing somethings , some people are just so sensitive and don't look past their own prejudices.

Low miles on a 20 year old car is not a win for me...

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 01-07-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The price was arrived to via an auction with no reserve and over 40 bids...so clearly that was the market price for the car.

Bottom line is, thats a special car. If you want a perfect 98-00 LS400, thats as close as you're going to find nowadays. You can install heated seats.

And who here bought a 98 LS400 new? I did. Heated seats were absolutely a regional thing. Cars down south even highly optioned ones commonly lacked heated seats.
Old 01-07-20, 09:32 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

The price was arrived to via an auction with no reserve and over 40 bids...so clearly that was the market price for the car.

Bottom line is, thats a special car. If you want a perfect 98-00 LS400, thats as close as you're going to find nowadays. You can install heated seats.

And who here bought a 98 LS400 new? I did. Heated seats were absolutely a regional thing. Cars down south even highly optioned ones commonly lacked heated seats.
My car is a California car...with heated seats.....also like deanshark mentioned not for him....40 bids from 40 people? Obviously someone will enjoy it...prolly won't drive it though.

14k soley due to miles? Nah needs to be pristine and this one is not ..even then I wouldn't as you said I prefer a "wrung out" with meticulous maintenance records.

Now a low mileage 2018 Lexus....that's different.
Old 01-07-20, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd have spend $15k for it to keep as a special car. Clearly more than one person was interested in the car at that price. Thats what its for, its not a driver. I wouldn't buy any car that old as a driver.

California has areas that have winter weather. This car originated in FL, and in FL in 1998 you commonly saw cars that were highly optioned (like this car) and did not have heated seats. In my region ALL LS400s had heated seats even low option ones. Remember in 1998 HIDs were an option, wood/leather wheel was an option, Nakamichi Audio was an option OR Navigation, and air suspension. At a $58k sticker that is absolutely a highly optioned LS. The only option its lacking in the FL region is the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS400 With 34K Miles Sets the Gold Standard