LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C Condensation - Nope. It's coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 08:12 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,278 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Hiding in plain sight.

I believe that this type of sealed system also requires "burping" at this fitting to get air pockets out and restore coolant flow to all areas.
Old 01-20-20, 11:23 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I believe that this type of sealed system also requires "burping" at this fitting to get air pockets out and restore coolant flow to all areas.
I agree that is the "right" way to do it if you are a professional mechanic and need to hand the car back to the owner in a 100% surely filled state, with no need for further topping off. And that's one good reason it is part of the official procedure for refilling. Another reason for pro's is that it is probably a faster way to fill. And if you have the exact right washer ready to go, to add to the bill, and if it leaks you can replace the thermostat housing, and add that to the bill, yes, that's how you do it. No doubt. But ...

In my case, I know that any smaller air pockets (big ones might be a problem - of course if the WP is pumping air ...) or bubbles will work their way to the overflow tank, which I can conveniently top off a day or two after the re-filling procedure. I also have a slightly (4*) sloping driveway, and generally have the front jacked up when filling, and I believe the angle makes air pockets less likely to be an issue. Of course, I do things like repeatedly squeezing the upper radiator hose until no more bubbles come out in the overflow tank.

Not touching that fill port + washer gives me one less thing that could go wrong, so that's what I do.
Old 01-21-20, 07:52 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed the radiator and upper and lower hoses. I realize that most say this is very easy but I'm in my 50's and this is my first real attempt at actually fixing something on any vehicle myself. I have an FSM and I get to justify buying a bunch of tools. I'm going to try to link a short video here of something I don't think is right. In case it doesn't work I'll try to explain. When I push on the drive belt, what I have recently learned is the drive belt tensioner, clicks and moves a little bit. Like it's not tightened down enough. As it is called a tensioner I assume that you don't just crank on it, there is some point when you should stop tensioning it. Therefore, not sure if it's supposed to do this or if there is something wrong. Just re-read what I wrote there and man, I really hope the video works so someone understands what I'm talking about.

So... it's an mp4 file and I couldn't attach it. Here's a screenshot. The location is right behind the fan. When I push down on the belt the pulley right below my hand moves to the left about 1/8" and makes a clicking noise. Let off the belt, it moves back to the right, push down, it clicks and moves to the left, etc..

Old 01-21-20, 08:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I agree that is the "right" way to do it if you are a professional mechanic and need to hand the car back to the owner in a 100% surely filled state, with no need for further topping off. And that's one good reason it is part of the official procedure for refilling. Another reason for pro's is that it is probably a faster way to fill. And if you have the exact right washer ready to go, to add to the bill, and if it leaks you can replace the thermostat housing, and add that to the bill, yes, that's how you do it. No doubt. But ...

In my case, I know that any smaller air pockets (big ones might be a problem - of course if the WP is pumping air ...) or bubbles will work their way to the overflow tank, which I can conveniently top off a day or two after the re-filling procedure. I also have a slightly (4*) sloping driveway, and generally have the front jacked up when filling, and I believe the angle makes air pockets less likely to be an issue. Of course, I do things like repeatedly squeezing the upper radiator hose until no more bubbles come out in the overflow tank.

Not touching that fill port + washer gives me one less thing that could go wrong, so that's what I do.
There's more than one way to do it, as long you get the job done!!
Old 01-22-20, 07:32 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Nobody knows about the pulley with the tensioner moving when I push on the drive belt?

New Denso radiator arrived. Hole in the box where the lower hose connection is but everything appears to be OK. Nice big ol' Made in China sticker on it mocking me and my budget. Compared it against the Toyota 5013 I removed and all the connections, etc... appear to be in the right place.

Old 01-22-20, 08:24 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 96DWPLS400
Nobody knows about the pulley with the tensioner moving when I push on the drive belt?

New Denso radiator arrived. Hole in the box where the lower hose connection is but everything appears to be OK. Nice big ol' Made in China sticker on it mocking me and my budget. Compared it against the Toyota 5013 I removed and all the connections, etc... appear to be in the right place.

denso made in China upsets my stomach
Old 01-22-20, 11:32 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

I removed the radiator and upper and lower hoses. I realize that most say this is very easy but I'm in my 50's and this is my first real attempt at actually fixing something on any vehicle myself. I have an FSM and I get to justify buying a bunch of tools. I'm going to try to link a short video here of something I don't think is right. In case it doesn't work I'll try to explain. When I push on the drive belt, what I have recently learned is the drive belt tensioner, clicks and moves a little bit. Like it's not tightened down enough. As it is called a tensioner I assume that you don't just crank on it, there is some point when you should stop tensioning it. Therefore, not sure if it's supposed to do this or if there is something wrong. Just re-read what I wrote there and man, I really hope the video works so someone understands what I'm talking about.

So... it's an mp4 file and I couldn't attach it. Here's a screenshot. The location is right behind the fan. When I push down on the belt the pulley right below my hand moves to the left about 1/8" and makes a clicking noise. Let off the belt, it moves back to the right, push down, it clicks and moves to the left, etc..
It should not click. It should smoothly move under tension. So that's a problem.

And you don't do anything to adjust tension. The tension is set by the spring inside the assembly. You just install it to the specified torque, then when you torque the 14mm bolt (lefty loosey) to "loosen" the tensioner, you're pivoting the pulley so you can slip the belt on it. Then at that point, the tension is set based on the spring. And slightly based on the length of the belt if it is not to spec.
Old 01-23-20, 04:10 AM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Originally Posted by oldskewel
It should not click. It should smoothly move under tension. So that's a problem.

And you don't do anything to adjust tension. The tension is set by the spring inside the assembly. You just install it to the specified torque, then when you torque the 14mm bolt (lefty loosey) to "loosen" the tensioner, you're pivoting the pulley so you can slip the belt on it. Then at that point, the tension is set based on the spring. And slightly based on the length of the belt if it is not to spec.
OK, I get it. Thanks very much for the explanation. I'll have a look and see if I can figure out why it's clicking then. Appreciate it.
Old 01-23-20, 07:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

OK, I get it. Thanks very much for the explanation. I'll have a look and see if I can figure out why it's clicking then. Appreciate it.
I went to acknowledge how much courage it takes to something like this for the first time. Obviously, a few issues will come up, as they always do in most repairs. Glad you've gotten started! Cotton gloves to avoid busted knuckles please.
Old 01-23-20, 06:26 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

The stuff that concerns me the most is the stuff "everyone" knows that I don't. "Well everyone knows that you're supposed to xxx before yyyy."

Other than that I think the formula is..
5% courage
5% right tools
15% FSM (that thing is great)
75% internet (thanks to sites like this one)
Old 01-24-20, 07:36 AM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

The stuff that concerns me the most is the stuff "everyone" knows that I don't. "Well everyone knows that you're supposed to xxx before yyyy."

Other than that I think the formula is..
5% courage
5% right tools
15% FSM (that thing is great)
75% internet (thanks to sites like this one)
i started to type 40% experience and 40% right tools and I realized the 2 function hand in hand.

Your experience, much like an education, is a tool so-
80% experience AND the right tools
20% varies depending on the person and the task
Just my 1.5 cents...

Edit-yes the internet is a tool as well but all the bandwidth and tutorials in the world can never replace a simple10mm wrench.

Last edited by bradland; 01-24-20 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 01:39 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

I find the same thing too, when I try to learn how to do something in a new field. Toughest are those things that are very important, but so obvious to anyone not completely new, that nobody bothers to say it.

I've found that watching youtube videos that don't edit out the obvious boring stuff are great for that. I pay attention to the little details. Also, when watching videos of mechanics work on cars, even if I know the main stuff they're making the video about, but if I notice they are really skilled, I'll watch carefully just to pick up the little tricks about how they do things as simple as loosening a nut.
The following users liked this post:
96DWPLS400 (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 06:11 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

You Tube has been really great to help many DIY'ers now. There are some really great tips from members here who've done the tasks. Saves time and some of the frustration knowing what is ahead. Breaking things is part of that education when I started to wrench. Sometimes a $$ lesson and lots of colorful words as well. Those Chilton's manuals were a bit thin on details for noobs.
Old 01-24-20, 07:17 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Well, I've been looking at "my cart" nightly for about a week now, adding and removing stuff. Then re-adding, etc... Finally pulled the trigger and hit the checkout button. Items marked red are for the LS (others are for the Land Cruiser). This same list on LexusPartsNow was just shy of $1100 shipped. It's a savings, but still a lot of money. I hope to take care of the power steering before putting the radiator back in. And got some engine mounts and suspension stuff. Timing belt kit I'll get from rockauto.

Old 01-24-20, 09:08 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
You Tube has been really great to help many DIY'ers now. There are some really great tips from members here who've done the tasks. Saves time and some of the frustration knowing what is ahead. Breaking things is part of that education when I started to wrench. Sometimes a $$ lesson and lots of colorful words as well. Those Chilton's manuals were a bit thin on details for noobs.
Yes, I quite agree with you, Mike.
I have been a soldering tool and an oscilloscope guy and not good at to wrench. But thanks for Youtube videos. Watching those, I now can do many kinds of mechanical jobs. I used to ask mechanics to fix mechanical problems.

The other day, I needed to replace a hub bearing of my wife's car and requested a local shop owner to do it. He is a guy who is not good at electronics related issues and often requests me to assist.

He said,"Yes, of course for free thanking your assists". But his shop was quite busy on that day and I dare tried to do the replacement job myself using tools in that shop. I just watched
by a young lady and understood how to do it. All I needed was to do the job in accordance with that lady's explanation and to use special tools such as a bearing remover and a press machine in that shop. You can find how the bearing was bad seeing here and here although everything is written in Japanese.

Youtube videos really help me to maintain 8 old cars in my family.

Quick Reply: A/C Condensation - Nope. It's coolant.