LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C Condensation - Nope. It's coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 05:22 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A/C Condensation - Nope. It's coolant.

1996 with 142k miles.

Did a 3 hour / 200 mile drive today and parked in the garage. Went in the garage about 3 hours later and there is what I feel is a lot of water on the floor. More than I've ever noticed previously from the a/c condensate drain. The drive was from Houston to Corpus Christi, TX. Temps ranged from low 50's to low 70's during the drive and it is humid - it's always humid. Climate control in the car was set on auto at 71 degrees.

The LS is fairly new to me and I never looked to see where the condensate drains exactly but I'm accustomed to seeing it near or just behind the passenger side front tire. This puddle (or any wetness) was not near the area I would typically expect to see it.

Looked as best I could but couldn't see an active drip anywhere. I'm too fat to get under the car very far without putting it up on stands - that'll have to wait some days till I get time.

The coolant level is about an inch below the LOW mark on the reservoir - I've had to top that up a couple times already but it's never been as low as it is right now. Didn't notice any movement of the temp gauge while driving.

I sopped up a bit of the liquid on the floor with a paper towel and it appears clear - no pinkish tint to it like I get doing the same thing sticking a paper towel into the coolant reservoir.

I need to get this thing up on stands and remove the under cover (or whatever it's called) and see what I can see but thought I'd check in here in case there is some common failure I need to check when I get under there. Or if everyone thinks it's the condensate drain and I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks in advance.

View from in front of passenger side front tire

Laying on the ground at driver's door looking toward passenger front tire

Rolled up paper towel has coolant on it. Square one is from the puddle.

Last edited by RA40; 01-15-20 at 02:45 AM. Reason: title adjust
Old 01-12-20, 07:50 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Being so clear, AC condensate is all it could possibly be, assuming your engine coolant and your windshield wiper fluid are not as clear as that.

I'd top up the coolant though, so that when the engine is cool it is up to the high/max mark.
Old 01-13-20, 03:59 AM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Didn't even think about wiper fluid. I'll check that. Thanks.
Old 01-13-20, 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

When using the A/C that seems like the condensation draining out. If it were any other fluid with color it would show up on that white paper towel and it would likely have some sort of chemical odor. The bluish tint in washer fluid does lighten with age as well some of the alcohol aroma will subside yet it can still be smelled.
Old 01-13-20, 12:58 PM
ja1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your AC starts to smell bad, the drain could be starting to get clogged with rotten leaves. Happened to my tundra.
Old 01-13-20, 05:51 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

I knew I wouldn't be so lucky. I topped up the reservoir tonight with some 50/50 Toyota Red and started the car, let it run for 15-20 minutes. No A/C on. Sure enough another puddle began to form. This time there was definitely a pinkish hue. No idea why I didn't get any color last night. So I quickly started removing screws from the under cover to see if I could tell the origin. It's coming from the passenger side of the radiator area. Didn't have the car up on stands so couldn't get under to eyeball it but I shined my light up there and stuck my camera underneath to shoot a couple pics. Can see the pink drips but still can't tell where exactly the leak is. At this point not sure if it's from the radiator itself or a hose or something else. Next step, get her up on stands and start taking things apart till I can see where the leak is. Included a picture of the radiator - I think it's original. Can't blame it if it has decided to retire. Also the first time I've even removed the plastic covers in the engine bay. Yes, it appears my radiator is secured with zip ties. At least on one side. So here's a loaded question on any other forum I've been on...any recommendations on a radiator? I see Walmart has one for $133.

View from underneath just in front of the passenger wheel well.

Old 01-13-20, 05:54 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

that does seem excessive but it all depends on humidity which you say is high!
it's dry where I am so we don't see that much water, but we do see it and it's draining on the correct side of the car (pass side almost aft of the front wheel near the frame rail).

edit: ah it's coolant. likely the endtank cracked which is common.
Old 01-13-20, 06:25 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,278 Likes on 987 Posts

Glad you found the leak before any damage!! I'd look into Toyota radiator, you've got the part number already number. If Toyota is crazy expensive, as a rule of thumb, I try to avoid Chinese made products from Ebay. I believe that Pep Boys warranties their stuff for life, so they put some research time into the quality of the components. While you've got the cooling system apart, I'd replace the thermostat, inspect/replace radiator cap, inspect/replace hoses including the transmission cooler hoses. If the hose clamps are corroded, replace those. Don't forget to remove everything from the old radiator including rubber bushings, etc. Make sure the fans are working before removing them. Some cars are difficult to refill/burp after a full coolant drain. Do a youtube search as a guide.
The following users liked this post:
96DWPLS400 (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 07:06 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
Glad you found the leak before any damage!! I'd look into Toyota radiator, you've got the part number already number. If Toyota is crazy expensive, as a rule of thumb, I try to avoid Chinese made products from Ebay. I believe that Pep Boys warranties their stuff for life, so they put some research time into the quality of the components. While you've got the cooling system apart, I'd replace the thermostat, inspect/replace radiator cap, inspect/replace hoses including the transmission cooler hoses. If the hose clamps are corroded, replace those. Don't forget to remove everything from the old radiator including rubber bushings, etc. Make sure the fans are working before removing them. Some cars are difficult to refill/burp after a full coolant drain. Do a youtube search as a guide.
Thanks for the recommendations. Found a Denso on rockauto for $75. Think I might go that route once I confirm that it is in fact the radiator that has sprung a leak versus just a hose somewhere.
Old 01-13-20, 07:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

That radiator if it is the original and it looks it, that is range of when they typically begin their vacation journey. The shop put in an aftermarket 2058 DE in ours at $150. The Toyota Denso was ~$360 I want to say. I don't expect this radiator to last 20 years like the original did.
Old 01-13-20, 10:21 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

"I knew I wouldn't be so lucky."

My friend if it's just you radiator or a line I'd consider myself lucky.

Cheers !
Old 01-13-20, 10:33 PM
ja1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to rockauto.com and look for a Denso radiator.
Old 01-14-20, 04:01 AM
96DWPLS400
Driver

Found Denso 221-4101 as a replacement. As confident as I am that the rad needs to be replaced I'm going to wait till I find the leak to order it.
Old 01-14-20, 07:45 PM
96DWPLS400
Driver

I tried to edit the title of the thread to make it more accurate (since I now know it's not a/c condensation) but I only ended up adding a title to my first post.

Is it possible to edit the title of the thread?
Old 01-14-20, 10:03 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 96DWPLS400
I tried to edit the title of the thread to make it more accurate (since I now know it's not a/c condensation) but I only ended up adding a title to my first post.

Is it possible to edit the title of the thread?
Ive never been able but admins/mods can

Quick Reply: A/C Condensation - Nope. It's coolant.