LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New kid saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 11:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by zjohnsonua
...so you're that guy. Not my first rodeo, man.

"Interference" means that the pistons and valves can meet. It does not mean that if the engine isn't set to exactly one spot then everything explodes. Toyota spent lots of time and money to vet diagnostics to detect non-nominal conditions and wrote manuals to help repair it.
No, I'm not "that guy" I was just giving you, or anyone else who reads this in the future, some advice and mentioning what can happen and has happened. I've seen it happen on this board where people had to change the engine cuz someone put their T-belt on wrong and bent the valves. I'd really hate to hear that happen to your car after putting in so much time and work. And all the T-belts I've done throughout the many years, I've never had any with any slack on install.
About being your first "rodeo"; maybe it's not but who knows? I don't know you or your skill level, especially when your title says "New kid". I can just come out and say I've been working on cars longer then you've been alive. But again, who knows? So I wont. I was just giving advice, if you don't want it, don't take it. It don't hurt me, or my car, none.
Anyone else that wants to take my advice, it's there if ya want it. If not, oh well?
Old 02-27-20, 01:03 PM
zjohnsonua
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough. Yes, when a belt breaks the engine is wrecked.

If you'd read the link that Yamae attached, it goes through what I did. I didn't foul it up. I fixed the foul up.

For those that are looking at doing this job, it's not hard, but it is tedious. Do pay attention, because as @deanshark points out, there are consequences for being too far off. But, that's why the manuals are there - to show you someone how to do it. Follow the book, and if things are off for whatever reason (assembly foul up, wrong parts, bad parts, etc) then the assembly roll over shows it and you get to fix it. Don't wanna buy the manual? Use the online tools like Alldatadiy or others like it. Same info, less cost.

I'm certainly not a kid, and I'm a huge fan of people educating themselves and doing their own work. Unfortunately, what I've seen is that people inquire to a "knowledgeable source" (like here), someone tells them that a given task was difficult or oversold the consequences and they give up and pay through the nose.