LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New kid saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 08:23 PM
zjohnsonua
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New kid saying hi

Howdy. I've poked around here for a few years when Dad's SC400 needed attention and I came to appreciate this place. Lots of good people and even better info. The SC was a FUN ride, but alas it has moved on to a new owner. My daily has been a mix of Land Cruisers and fullsize trucks for a long time, but I've always loved the LS, and I missed that UZ V8. So I got one! It's a '98 w/ 180k that lived its life at the hands of two owners, both older ladies. Records show the first owner to have been fastidious about dealer only maintenance, and the second one skipped the dealer but kept a pile of records 2" thick which mostly covered "normal" maintenance. The snag is that for the odd stuff she went a different route and taped over the MIL, VSC, and red warning indicator rather than fix it, so I got it as a Mechanic Special with brand new Michelins and timing belt job.

Thus far it's gotten a throttle body cleaning, MAF cleaning, K&N air filter delete in favor of OE, OCV cleaning (still fighting P1346 and P1351 though ), three Type IV flushes (trans started slipping in 1st under hard throttle when the engine woke up after the MAF cleaning - so far they seem to have corrected the issue), a fan clutch to tame the heat that this beast makes, and a set of injector seals to stem off the impending engine fire from the fuel seepage.

It's still needing a steering rack (been weeping since 2016), undetermined chassis parts (clunks and loose on its feet), and at least one shock. In due time...the vitals are taken care of for now.

Last edited by zjohnsonua; 01-23-20 at 06:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by zjohnsonua:
Boomin (01-23-20), JohnAndic (02-28-20), spuds (01-25-20)
Old 01-15-20, 10:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the LS!
Old 01-16-20, 07:30 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome! You've been busy. Congrats! Post pix.
Old 01-16-20, 08:30 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

welcome and if you've tinkered with SCs and old land cruisers, you'll be right at home with the LS!
seems like you know what to look for with these oldy-but-goody vehicles, which is frankly some of the rewarding bits of owning older cars.
Old 01-23-20, 06:30 AM
zjohnsonua
Driver School Candidate

Recent changes:

New CTS - the forums' experiences showed the CTS to be a heavy contributor to fuel economy and performance so I pulled it and gave it a look. Didn't look horrible, but it had the wrong connector (1 blocking blade rather than 3 - so it had the wrong PN at best and the wrong properties at worst), and had developed a scale so out it went. We get a decent discount through our TLC club, so OE went back in. Not gonna say it was a huge improvement, but it did feel a little more spirited over 3krpm.

New OCVs x2 - the cleaning didn't do anything and I can't tolerate a MIL, so new OCVs went in. I put the engine through its paces in the city, on the highway, under light and heavy loads...no issues . 5 minutes into the drive to the plant this morning and *ding*...the trifecta of lights is back . Still ringing up 1346 and 1351 both active and pending. I got the filters with the OCVs because they're inexpensive, but I didn't feel like tearing into the top end to install them as all the records showed good maintenance history. Between a locker install on an FZJ80 and this bit of engine work, I'd say Saturday just filled up.

Stay tuned, we'll see what turns up under the cam caps.

PS: Does anyone have evidence that the VSC alert is tied to the transmission shift programs? This car feels like it shifts more positively when the VSC alert is inactive. Maybe it's a placebo affect...

-Z
Old 01-25-20, 05:22 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice to have you here.
Old 01-30-20, 02:21 PM
Dezdez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS gang gang
Old 02-21-20, 05:07 PM
AceVL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zjohnsonua
Recent changes:

New CTS - the forums' experiences showed the CTS to be a heavy contributor to fuel economy and performance so I pulled it and gave it a look. Didn't look horrible, but it had the wrong connector (1 blocking blade rather than 3 - so it had the wrong PN at best and the wrong properties at worst), and had developed a scale so out it went. We get a decent discount through our TLC club, so OE went back in. Not gonna say it was a huge improvement, but it did feel a little more spirited over 3krpm.

New OCVs x2 - the cleaning didn't do anything and I can't tolerate a MIL, so new OCVs went in. I put the engine through its paces in the city, on the highway, under light and heavy loads...no issues . 5 minutes into the drive to the plant this morning and *ding*...the trifecta of lights is back . Still ringing up 1346 and 1351 both active and pending. I got the filters with the OCVs because they're inexpensive, but I didn't feel like tearing into the top end to install them as all the records showed good maintenance history. Between a locker install on an FZJ80 and this bit of engine work, I'd say Saturday just filled up.

Stay tuned, we'll see what turns up under the cam caps.

PS: Does anyone have evidence that the VSC alert is tied to the transmission shift programs? This car feels like it shifts more positively when the VSC alert is inactive. Maybe it's a placebo affect...

-Z
So the filtered didn’t clear out your P1346 and P1351 codes? I just threw these on my 98 Sc400, even though it runs fine. I’m trying to diagnose the route cause.
Old 02-22-20, 02:01 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by AceVL
So the filtered didn’t clear out your P1346 and P1351 codes? I just threw these on my 98 Sc400, even though it runs fine. I’m trying to diagnose the route cause.
I suggest you to read this thread and see photos.
As far as I have experienced, the simultaneous P1346 and P1351 together was mostly caused by the skipped timing belt of 1 tooth.
Old 02-24-20, 12:25 PM
AceVL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I suggest you to read this thread and see photos.
As far as I have experienced, the simultaneous P1346 and P1351 together was mostly caused by the skipped timing belt of 1 tooth.
Hi Yamae,

thanks for the the link. I checked my timing and its one tooth off. Maybe it skipped or maybe it been wrong from the get go when I changed it.

i just redid the timing belt about two weeks ago or so. But last week was the first day I drove it.
there was no code for the first 30 minutes of the drive, then it came on on my way home. Still ran fine with no issues.

what typically causes this skip, or if it was installed wrong, why does it take time to pick up on it?
Old 02-25-20, 07:47 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi Yamae,

thanks for the the link. I checked my timing and its one tooth off. Maybe it skipped or maybe it been wrong from the get go when I changed it.

i just redid the timing belt about two weeks ago or so. But last week was the first day I drove it.
there was no code for the first 30 minutes of the drive, then it came on on my way home. Still ran fine with no issues.

what typically causes this skip, or if it was installed wrong, why does it take time to pick up on it?
When you did your timing belt install, did you rotate the engine a couple 4 times to make sure the marks lined up on the cams?
Old 02-25-20, 08:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I checked my timing and its one tooth off. Maybe it skipped or maybe it been wrong from the get go when I changed it.

The ECU needs to relearn everything after the battery has been disconnected.
If the belt is one tooth off I wouldn't even start the car til it's fixed. Ya don't want to ruin your engine. (if this is for your 98 SC4)
I've done 4 T-belts on a 93 LS (non-interference engine) and never set them wrong but the T-belt on a 95-2000 (interference engine) directions are different. There's something about setting the belt 50* off while installing it. Are you sure it's one tooth off? I'd think it wouldn't run right if it was.
Old 02-26-20, 09:29 AM
zjohnsonua
Driver School Candidate

The one-tooth-off timing caused no detrimental drive-ability issues on mine. I did however get the check engine, VSC off, red LED and maybe a few oddities which I discussed in my earlier posts. I've now been nearly 1000 miles since the repair and have had no related issues.

The cause of the "skipped" tooth is simple. The belt has some amount of slack in it at assembly (inescapable and normal), and this slack needs taking up. The tensioner does this for you. @jaaa is on the ball in suggesting to roll the engine over manually a few times. Rolling the engine over lets the tensioner do its job and lets you see where the cams and crank end up relative to one another after the belt tightens. If they're misaligned, congrats, you get another practice rep with timing belt alignment. Non-OE grade belts may cause extra hassle because they tend to stretch to a point before they settle in. That stretch can cause this misalignment as well. Scratch up one more reason to use OE parts in hard to get to locations.

Did it come on after 30 mins? Or did you turn the car off and then back on? All my experience showed that the ECM looked for two sets of error-condition data after the car hit op temp before it would throw codes, and it was consistent.

The ECM does learn a bit as well. 1FZ and 2UZ powered Land Cruisers generally like having the battery pulled for an hour to reset the ECM to factory default, so I used that thinking on the LS. I let it warm up then started and turned the car off 20 times. That normalized the idle and eased starting.

Hopefully that helps.

-Z
Old 02-26-20, 10:03 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by zjohnsonua
The one-tooth-off timing caused no detrimental drive-ability issues on mine. I've now been nearly 1000 miles since the repair and have had no related issues.

The cause of the "skipped" tooth is simple. The belt has some amount of slack in it at assembly (inescapable and normal), and this slack needs taking up. The tensioner does this for you. @jaaa is on the ball in suggesting to roll the engine over manually a few times. Rolling the engine over lets the tensioner do its job and lets you see where the cams and crank end up relative to one another after the belt tightens. If they're misaligned, congrats, you get another practice rep with timing belt alignment. Non-OE grade belts may cause extra hassle because they tend to stretch to a point before they settle in. That stretch can cause this misalignment as well. Scratch up one more reason to use OE parts in hard to get to locations.
If you have gone 1000 miles with the T-belt one tooth off on an interference motor, you are one lucky person that you haven't screwed that engine up. On any vehicle which is one tooth off there will be drive-ability issues. Thing would definitely misfire.
Tensioner takes up the slack? YES. Turning engine over 4 times (actually 2) makes the tensioner take up the slack? NO. When you pull the pin from the tensioner it takes up the slack by doing it's job. Turning the engine over is to just check if the marks still line up before you start the engine. The belt should have absolutely no slack once the pin is pulled. If it does then you have the wrong belt. 209 teeth v. 211 teeth.
Old 02-26-20, 03:17 PM
zjohnsonua
Driver School Candidate

...so you're that guy. Not my first rodeo, man.

"Interference" means that the pistons and valves can meet. It does not mean that if the engine isn't set to exactly one spot then everything explodes. Toyota spent lots of time and money to vet diagnostics to detect non-nominal conditions and wrote manuals to help repair it.

Quick Reply: New kid saying hi