LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Driveshaft removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 03:42 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Driveshaft removal tool

Lexus' Shop Manual outlines driveshaft removal when servicing transmission, center bearing or rubber guibos.

Large 1-13/16" nut, and hex-shaped area on driveshaft to facilitate loosening on concentric area where splines enter the second half of driveshaft.

Once loosening is accomplished, the driveshaft retracted into each other in order to shorten it sufficiently to allow clearance of centering pins protruding from center of differential and transmission yolks.

It is an oddball size and adjustable wrenches or pipe wrenches that will accommodate this diameter nut are too wide to fit in the confines between the driveshaft sections and permit turning of center nut.

Rather than beat my head against the wall, instead determined to fabricate two wrenches. One to hold driveshaft and the second to loosen the clamping nut.

Not going to risk using anything that clamps onto the driveshaft to hold it in place.

A few images from shop manual depicting driveshaft and fabricated tool.

1-13/16" across the flats. 1/4" thick hardened steel...may cut "V" at bottom of opening for Hex fit.

Shop Manual image depicting the driveshaft center bearing (far right) and driveshaft nut(middle) which must be loosened to shorten shaft length at splined area for removal. The flats area of driveshaft (middle left) is to permit holding driveshaft in place

Lexus depicts SST's resembling narrow pipe wrenches.. No success locating these.

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-07-20 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-09-20)
Old 02-24-20, 06:21 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Several images of the tools in use.
Anyone requiring a set may contact H.R. Slater Co. in Chicago.

1st wrench applied to the driveshaft nut.

Second tool.on driveshaft
The following users liked this post:
paulo57509 (02-24-20)
Old 02-24-20, 10:05 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

1-13/16" is almost exactly 46 mm (46.038). A dollar bill is 100 microns thick, in case you need to gauge how much the 38 micron difference there is.

Also, typically the thing being driven (e.g., the opposing surfaces on the hex nut, hex bolt, etc.) are usually at the specified number. So a 46mm nut will typically be 46.0 mm across each pair of hex surfaces, within some tolerance. Then the driving thing (e.g., the socket, the wrench, etc.) will be sufficiently larger, depending on if it is a 12 pt socket, 6 pt socket, open end wrench, etc. So in this case, maybe a multi-purpose off the shelf open ended wrench would have an opening of 46.3 mm, to ensure it can fit over the nut even in the face of corrosion, burrs on the edges, etc.

I expect an off-the-shelf 46mm wrench would have a good chance to work here and would probably be cheaper than any custom job. Here are some examples from a quick google, e.g. $22 from autozone:

https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pl...nch/338956_0_0

Amazon Amazon

And BTW, that general knowledge about tolerances, fit, and mm vs. inch can be helpful in general. In one application on my BMW, I need to drive a 32mm nut, but it needs to be an especially tight fit. Turns out that 1-1/4" is 31.75mm, and my 1-1/4" wrench fits with a very tight clearance and works better than the 32mm would in that application. I.e., the 32mm nut really is 32mm big, but the 1-1/4" = 31.75mm wrench is actually 32.05mm across, making it fit very well in this application.

Last edited by oldskewel; 02-24-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 10:33 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldskewel
1-13/16" is almost exactly 46 mm (46.038). A dollar bill is 100 microns thick, in case you need to gauge how much the 38 micron difference there is.

Also, typically the thing being driven (e.g., the opposing surfaces on the hex nut, hex bolt, etc.) are usually at the specified number. So a 46mm nut will typically be 46.0 mm across each pair of hex surfaces, within some tolerance. Then the driving thing (e.g., the socket, the wrench, etc.) will be sufficiently larger, depending on if it is a 12 pt socket, 6 pt socket, open end wrench, etc. So in this case, maybe a multi-purpose off the shelf open ended wrench would have an opening of 46.3 mm, to ensure it can fit over the nut even in the face of corrosion, burrs on the edges, etc.

I expect an off-the-shelf 46mm wrench would have a good chance to work here and would probably be cheaper than any custom job. Here are some examples from a quick google, e.g. $22 from autozone:

https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pl...nch/338956_0_0

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-46-Com.../dp/B06XTWGSWB

And BTW, that general knowledge about tolerances, fit, and mm vs. inch can be helpful in general. In one application on my BMW, I need to drive a 32mm nut, but it needs to be an especially tight fit. Turns out that 1-1/4" is 31.75mm, and my 1-1/4" wrench fits with a very tight clearance and works better than the 32mm would in that application. I.e., the 32mm nut really is 32mm big, but the 1-1/4" = 31.75mm wrench is actually 32.05mm across, making it fit very well in this application.
First, went down that road.

Second, the application requires two wrenches.

Have attempted adjustable wrenches that accommodate 1-13/16" and they are too wide to permit loosening or tightening with wrenches on both in the space between flats on driveshaft and spline collet nut. Ditto for a fixed open end wrench....and then they want $$$ for each than what it cost to fabricate thin tools depicted.

Dealing with online and brick and mortar who cannot provide a straight answer on delivery proves to much.

Feel free to pursue your method and report findings.
Old 02-24-20, 10:52 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
...Second, the application requires two wrenches...
You're right. This is the show stopper, no need to think any further. Maybe one day, someone might figure out how to crack this one. Maybe use a water jet machining station to cut the wrench in half making two narrow ones? Definitely would require a custom job.

Hopefully the general info is helpful to open minded people out there.
Old 02-24-20, 11:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice job! That head angle looks good for that application. I found this at MSC, do you think this would also work? It is a bit thinker at 9/32" over the 1/4" with a 30 degree head angle.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/83217802
Old 02-24-20, 11:25 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Nice job! That head angle looks good for that application. I found this at MSC, do you think this would also work? It is a bit thinker at 9/32" over the 1/4" with a 30 degree head angle.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/83217802
This appears to be the correct store bought tool.

The dealer was unable to provide guidance on the SST specified in the shop manual or advise what tools they would use so started looking.

To avoid further aggravation, it was easier....and much faster to have a tool made.

Also, the measurement across the flats changes somewhat from top to bottom of the collet nut.
Old 02-24-20, 05:24 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

the manual doesn't state to perhaps remove the center support bearing off the car to aid in using a standard box wrench? might be smaller than I think.
i would imagine this would of course make things more difficult to hold fast and loosen. good work on the custom tools!