LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

NEED HELP - '93 LS400 surging badly and huge power loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 04:50 AM
IAmWeasel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenericUse
Alright folks, I'm back again. My ailing 1993 LS400 keeps getting worse. I thought it had exhaust leaks, but it was just oil smoking on the exhaust manifolds after the car sat for too long. The EGR valve leaked badly, so I blocked it off with a piece of exhaust gasket - it is no longer possible to buy new EGR valves for the first-gen Cali models, along with most of the other Cali-specific parts. This, unfortunately, solved nothing. I sent my ECU in to be fixed - almost no change in how the car ran. I replaced the injectors with new ones - nothing.

I'm getting really tired of driving the tortured thing every day.

Occasionally, it'll have plenty of power - not nearly as much as it did when I purchased it, but enough to be passable. Then, it'll lose enough after a stoplight (or just randomly) that it takes me 20 seconds or more to get up to 40mph - I can't press the pedal down much more than half, because if I do, the engine will surge and then immediately try to stall in rapid succession, over and over again, until I let off the gas. After it stops doing this, it manages to lose even more power. Then, randomly during the drive, it'll go back to having a passable amount of power. Sometimes it'll surge lightly while cruising. The engine will also make a groaning noise while it's low on power. It's not the ignition coils, the spark plugs, or the wires - wires and plugs are new, and I tested both of the coils by temporarily replacing them with a new coil. This also changed nothing. The fuel pump is new as well, and the filter only has about 2k miles on it. Fuel pressure is within spec (44psi IIRC). Air filter is new. Battery is new. Alternator is fine, the P/S system leaks but not near the alternator, and I've tested it as well. I've ordered an OBD1-OBD2 adapter so I can take it for a drive and see if anything looks wrong, but last time I did this (only idling because the only OBD1 reader I had access to had a failed battery) nothing looked out of the ordinary. I am, as always, completely out of ideas.
Did you try to clean or replace your MAF sensor
Old 02-23-20, 09:33 PM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmWeasel
Did you try to clean or replace your MAF sensor
Not yet, haven't had the time to clean it and I really don't have the money for a new one right now.
Old 02-23-20, 11:19 PM
IAmWeasel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet, haven't had the time to clean it and I really don't have the money for a new one right now.
U can use electro clean, unplug the MAF and spray the unit clean, I had the same problem with my vehicle.
Old 02-24-20, 09:23 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmWeasel
U can use electro clean, unplug the MAF and spray the unit clean, I had the same problem with my vehicle.
Cleaning the AFM with any kind of cleaner will almost always kill it if it's not bad already. The correct way is to just use compressed air. It's not made like the MAF sensors. If you search for "cleaning AFM" there should be lots of info on why not to clean it.
Old 02-24-20, 09:48 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't remember all the details without looking up the years, but you should be careful about exactly what year the people giving you advice are talking about.

My '91, and at least from 90-94, I know they were not MAF (with a hot wire or film), they were a Karman Vortex sensor, referred to as an AFM (air flow meter, without the word "mass" in there). The MAF (mass air flow) sensor is based on a sensing method that measures mass flow directly, without need for thermal density compensation that the MAF needs. So that's why "mass" is in the name for MAF, but not AFM.

At some point after that, might have been 95, might have been later, they switched to the more common hot wire/film ones.

Those two sensing methods are completely different, and require/tolerate different types of cleaning, if any.

So be careful if you get advice from someone that may be correct for their AFM, but not for your MAF. And in general, for any car, these sensors are relatively delicate and easy to screw up when cleaning. So don't fire up the pressure washer just yet.

Here's a post I wrote a while ago about the two basic types.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10206613
Old 02-24-20, 01:42 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I don't remember all the details without looking up the years, but you should be careful about exactly what year the people giving you advice are talking about.

My '91, and at least from 90-94, I know they were not MAF (with a hot wire or film), they were a Karman Vortex sensor, referred to as an AFM (air flow meter, without the word "mass" in there).

At some point after that, might have been 95, might have been later, they switched to the more common hot wire/film ones.

So be careful if you get advice from someone that may be correct for their AFM, but not for your MAF. And in general, for any car, these sensors are relatively delicate and easy to screw up when cleaning. So don't fire up the pressure washer just yet.

Here's a post I wrote a while ago about the two basic types.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10206613
Thanks oldskewel for the explanation. For the life of me I couldn't remember "Karman Vortex". (Must be gettin old ) I didn't have time earlier to look it up but I wanted to tell the OP not to clean it. I think it was 95 they switched to MAF, but like ya said, it could have been later. The OP has a 93 so his is an AFM. That is a nice descriptive post ya have in the other thread. I knew it was there somewhere and would be found with a search.
Old 02-29-20, 07:37 PM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by deanshark
Thanks oldskewel for the explanation. For the life of me I couldn't remember "Karman Vortex". (Must be gettin old ) I didn't have time earlier to look it up but I wanted to tell the OP not to clean it. I think it was 95 they switched to MAF, but like ya said, it could have been later. The OP has a 93 so his is an AFM. That is a nice descriptive post ya have in the other thread. I knew it was there somewhere and would be found with a search.
Good news!

The AFM, as I now know it's called, is fine. I discovered this by buying another unit and testing it. The car has the same issues. Still refuses to throw a code. Gets up to about 3000rpm under heavy load, and then immediately tries to force a stall. Stopped the car almost entirely from about 25mph. When it goes into limp mode, it runs fine. I have an OBD2 adapter for the under-dash plug now, so I can hook a scan tool to it, I just haven't had the time. Not sure how much it'll help as I know the ECU doesn't report a whole lot of things to the scan tool.
Old 03-01-20, 09:43 PM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

I advanced the TPS before driving to work this morning, (yes I know that's supposed to be done with feeler gauges) and the car responded very well to that, for some reason. Still has the same problems but they aren't as severe.
Old 03-12-20, 12:46 AM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Alright, so I can no longer take the car on the freeway as it can't really hold 60-70mph. I replaced the coolant temp sensor (yes, the one with two wires), and that helped for a little bit - but then it started running leaner and leaner again. I have no idea why, but it seems like the ECU is doing this on purpose. I'm going to head down to pick n' pull on my next day off to grab a second ECU off a '93 and see if it changes anything - @Yamae , are the ECUs the same between 1993 california and regular models?
Old 03-12-20, 03:11 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

@Yamae , are the ECUs the same between 1993 california and regular models?
No, the California and the federal ECU are not the same. See the lower part of this post. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post7496164
Old 03-12-20, 08:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

are the ECUs the same between 1993 california and regular models?
I'm not an ECU guru like Yamae but he's correct, not the same, but......
This is from my experience when I was looking for an ECU for my 94:
You can use a Ca spec ECU in a Fed spec car but not the other way around. From what I researched was the only difference is the Ca spec car has an extra air pump on the engine. (I never found out what it does exactly) Something to do with emissions. I've read on here someone used a Ca spec for a Fed spec car and it worked fine. It might just throw a code for the air pump cuz it's not even on the car.
I got mine from a junkyard car which originally was a Ca. car but moved to Kentucky and eventually ended up here in Ct. When I pulled the ECU it was a Fed spec. It was a running car when I pulled it.
Old 03-12-20, 10:01 AM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
No, the California and the federal ECU are not the same. See the lower part of this post. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post7496164
Unfortunate. But there's only one 1993 in a junkyard within 100 miles of me, and no 1994s, so hopefully it's a cali model and if it isn't I still have to try.
Old 03-12-20, 01:25 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Unfortunate. But there's only one 1993 in a junkyard within 100 miles of me, and no 1994s, so hopefully it's a cali model and if it isn't I still have to try.
The way to work this is to contact yards who have already extracted the ECU (and have not opened it). Inquire of the VIN # of the donor vehicle and image of the ECU P.N. (cross check that ECU is correct P.N. from that donor vehicle..)

Then run donor vehicle VIN through Lexus database to insure the yard is not providing you with a random VIN for ECU.

Have vendor agree in writing that your technician be allowed to open the ECU to inspect the Circuit board for damage from leaking electrolyte from capacitors..which, if original, is possibile.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-20, 12:50 AM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The way to work this is to contact yards who have already extracted the ECU (and have not opened it). Inquire of the VIN # of the donor vehicle and image of the ECU P.N. (cross check that ECU is correct P.N. from that donor vehicle..)

Then run donor vehicle VIN through Lexus database to insure the yard is not providing you with a random VIN for ECU.

Have vendor agree in writing that your technician be allowed to open the ECU to inspect the Circuit board for damage from leaking electrolyte from capacitors..which, if original, is possibile.

Good luck.
To be absolutely transparent about what I'm doing here, I'm not looking for a fixed ECU or even the correct one for the car - I just want one with the same connector that'll run the engine and not damage anything. I'm just looking to see if the problems change, because if they do then I know the ECU is shot and I can focus on getting the correct one - hence why I'm getting a junkyard ECU for $24 and plopping it in probably without even opening it. I've replaced and/or tested every other part of the car that would be doing this, and if a different ECU doesn't fix it then I'm completely out of ideas and may have to sell the car. I really don't want to, as it's my first car and I like it a lot, but it is now completely undrivable as it won't go above 2000 rpm before it starts hiccuping and surging.
Old 03-15-20, 01:48 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

2000 rpm MAX?
Sounds like it's a limp home mode. The confirmation can be done checking the fire timing. It is fixed and there is no advancement.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP - '93 LS400 surging badly and huge power loss