LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Celsior's radiator upper tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 10:37 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts
Default 98 Celsior's radiator upper tank

I own a 98 Celsior. 2 years ago when I checked the radiator upper tank, I found 2 minor problems and I took photos below. There was a white line which looks like a crack and there were strange dots at side of the upper tank. I imagine those dots look thinner than other part. I have been watching these time to time for fear of the leak. I also was looking for a good new radiator.

2 years have passed but the white line and dots are unchanged and I am not ordering a new radiator yet. So far everything is OK.

Do you guys have any similar problems?

White line indicated by an red arrow.

Strange dots

Old 03-03-20, 08:01 AM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

Plastic is likely to have inconsistencies from the manufacturing process. Especially after 10,000+ heat cycles. Dyes often permeate into areas where fluid simply can't. You can also see it happening to the fibers at the end of the rad hose. If the coolant had no dye in it you probably wouldn't see the dots at all. Keep an eye on it you should be fine
The following users liked this post:
WhiteUCF (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 09:00 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I own a 98 Celsior. 2 years ago when I checked the radiator upper tank, I found 2 minor problems and I took photos below. There was a white line which looks like a crack and there were strange dots at side of the upper tank. I imagine those dots look thinner than other part. I have been watching these time to time for fear of the leak. I also was looking for a good new radiator.

2 years have passed but the white line and dots are unchanged and I am not ordering a new radiator yet. So far everything is OK.

Do you guys have any similar problems?

White line indicated by an red arrow.

Strange dots
Toyota (red) coolant will permeate porous areas and evaporate leaving a whitish-red crust.

Red dye is carried by fluid.

After 20+ years your radiator is probably past its prime...the plastic is brittle.

The tension clamps on radiator hoses should be replaced
Old 03-03-20, 07:44 PM
basilpluss
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

probably the radiator is becoming weak if it's an old radiator it's expected. Luckily these radiators aren't too expensive and are relatively easy to change. just curious if you are you going to change the radiator?
Old 03-03-20, 09:55 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Thanks for your comment and advice. I think I must confess what I have been thinking of for the past 2 years.

2 years ago when a local dealership manager saw the radiator, he simply said, "It's time for you to buy a new car. Why on a heck do you keep such an very old car which requires you to pay big extra tax? We can offer you a nice car with the special price down since you help us a lot. You can't go to heaven carrying your big wallet".

No one drives 20 years old cars around here except me. At our community, there live rather rich people and they drive good newer Lexus cars. Among them, I have been assigned as a community leader and people are finding me a strange old man driving an old car.

With those situations above, I have been thinking of buying another car before my Celsior's radiator fails. But it is keeping the same condition and there is no leak at all as well as the car run just fine.

Recently, I was invited to be a moderator. As a moderator, I need a reference car to post something like this and that. So I am wondering what I should do now. To buy a radiator or to buy a new car, that is a question.
Old 03-04-20, 11:53 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thanks for your comment and advice. I think I must confess what I have been thinking of for the past 2 years.

2 years ago when a local dealership manager saw the radiator, he simply said, "It's time for you to buy a new car. Why on a heck do you keep such an very old car which requires you to pay big extra tax? We can offer you a nice car with the special price down since you help us a lot. You can't go to heaven carrying your big wallet".

No one drives 20 years old cars around here except me. At our community, there live rather rich people and they drive good newer Lexus cars. Among them, I have been assigned as a community leader and people are finding me a strange old man driving an old car.

With those situations above, I have been thinking of buying another car before my Celsior's radiator fails. But it is keeping the same condition and there is no leak at all as well as the car run just fine.

Recently, I was invited to be a moderator. As a moderator, I need a reference car to post something like this and that. So I am wondering what I should do now. To buy a radiator or to buy a new car, that is a question.

Purchase a later model used Toyota/Lexus with a new radiator....