LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Don't want to condemn Ecu

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 10:26 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by 89newpoker
Good news, she lives once more. There were several issues that worked in unison to put her down for a while. The 1st mistake I made was ordering an aftermarket fuel pump which initially I thought was the trouble. I was partly right, but i still like a dummy for not checkimg before I installed it. Turns out some bonehead prewired the plug for the fuel pump backwards, placing the colored wire on the ground side of the circuit. Of course I didn't check to verify polarity before installation, I was troubled as to why I wasn't receiving fuel at the rail. 2, she had a failing CPS which would sometimes cause her to not hot start intermittently, 3 per Yamae replacement of capacitors within the ECU solved the no connection problem, odd shifting, lack of cruise, intermittent other nuances. She shifts like a dream with good solid firm shifts, starts right up, and seems to have a little more power now. She's still a baby with only 100k on her and I'm looking forward to many more road trips with this car.
Thanks for the update, 89newpoker. Congratulations on your success to fix.

Although you didn't want to condemn ECU, you were not able to escape from it. As I posted before, those QAS capacitors are kinds of time bomb in most of cases. It is smarter to replace them before traces and parts around are not damaged yet. Those who replaced capacitors as a preventive measure commonly say that the car runs better like new. It's no use crying over spilt milk, you know.
The following users liked this post:
i928 (07-07-20)
Old 07-06-20, 07:35 PM
89newpoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thanks for the update, 89newpoker. Congratulations on your success to fix.

Although you didn't want to condemn ECU, you were not able to escape from it. As I posted before, those QAS capacitors are kinds of time bomb in most of cases. It is smarter to replace them before traces and parts around are not damaged yet. Those who replaced capacitors as a preventive measure commonly say that the car runs better like new. It's no use crying over spilt milk, you know.
Well said, Even though I work on vehicles all the time, Every once in a while; one will pop up and throw me for a loop. I prefer to look at the whole event as a learning tool, and since she is my personal car, I figured she was worth the extra effort.
Old 07-06-20, 08:26 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 89newpoker
Good news, she lives once more. There were several issues that worked in unison to put her down for a while. The 1st mistake I made was ordering an aftermarket fuel pump which initially I thought was the trouble. I was partly right, but i still like a dummy for not checkimg before I installed it. Turns out some bonehead prewired the plug for the fuel pump backwards, placing the colored wire on the ground side of the circuit. Of course I didn't check to verify polarity before installation, I was troubled as to why I wasn't receiving fuel at the rail. 2, she had a failing CPS which would sometimes cause her to not hot start intermittently, 3 per Yamae replacement of capacitors within the ECU solved the no connection problem, odd shifting, lack of cruise, intermittent other nuances. She shifts like a dream with good solid firm shifts, starts right up, and seems to have a little more power now. She's still a baby with only 100k on her and I'm looking forward to many more road trips with this car.
Yay..........
Old 07-06-20, 08:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad that worked out and was a relatively simple fix.
Old 08-03-20, 01:12 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

who fixed your capacitor?I need info