LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400 Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 03:05 PM
Arianaaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS400 Electrical Problems

Hello everyone,
My 1993 Lexus LS 400 over the time span of a month began to slightly hesitate while on the gas, and for months my RPM's and other dash hands would not function properly until the car was driven for a short amount of time. However, recently i started my car up and realized my seats, radio, entire dash board, sunroof, gas and trunk locks, turn signals, door switches were not functioning although the car sounded great. Then i realized i was not able to switch gears and was forced to manually do so. This got me from point a to point b and back home however my battery began to drain and it quickly became consistent. A jump would start it but it would not stay started. I have two good batteries and installed a new alternator. I checked my harnesses (the trunk one at least) and i also checked all fuses. Do anyone have any clue what may be causing this? I also made sure my battery terminals were cleaned as one of them had fully corroded which i initially thought was the issue but obviously is not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-20, 03:48 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Even though you have a replaced alternator and battery, it would be helpful to have a constant quantitative measurement of system voltage.

You can buy one of these on eBay for about $2
Digital LED Auto Car Cigarette Lighter Volt Voltage Gauge

I'd start with that. If your system does not maintain ~14V, that will need to be fixed.
There will be a slight constant offset in voltage measured by that gauge vs. at the battery terminals, which you can verify using a multimeter.
Old 03-15-20, 03:53 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Arianaaa
Hello everyone,
My 1993 Lexus LS 400 over the time span of a month began to slightly hesitate while on the gas, and for months my RPM's and other dash hands would not function properly until the car was driven for a short amount of time. However, recently i started my car up and realized my seats, radio, entire dash board, sunroof, gas and trunk locks, turn signals, door switches were not functioning although the car sounded great. Then i realized i was not able to switch gears and was forced to manually do so. This got me from point a to point b and back home however my battery began to drain and it quickly became consistent. A jump would start it but it would not stay started. I have two good batteries and installed a new alternator. I checked my harnesses (the trunk one at least) and i also checked all fuses. Do anyone have any clue what may be causing this? I also made sure my battery terminals were cleaned as one of them had fully corroded which i initially thought was the issue but obviously is not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Does your antennae raise and lower? (One I worked on did not and you could hear the motor running and running)

Is your trunk mounted CD player turning off?

Is your drivers door switch shorted?

Check condition of negative battery cable grounds at chassis and AC compressor...

Probably time to replace...

Start by replacing all bladed fuses-underhood and interior at kickplate.

​Recently replaced all fuses on a 1993 LS400....fusebox contacts were oxidized and fuse blades badly tarnished.

Things perked up a little bit..less resistance and voltage drop.

Use CRC electrical cleaner (compatible with plastics) and Q-Tip on fuse box contacts.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-15-20 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
BNastee (03-17-20), WhiteUCF (03-15-20)