LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

??? (choking out or stalling)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 04:53 AM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

It's possible that you have a leak, especially with a raw fuel smell. Any smoke from the exhaust?
Old 03-24-20, 05:04 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteUCF
It's possible that you have a leak, especially with a raw fuel smell. Any smoke from the exhaust?
Negative, sir. No smoke.
Old 03-24-20, 07:44 AM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

I'd expect a leak then. When you get time just go over everything. Once I finish up with work I'll try to find you the fuel line diagrams.
Old 03-24-20, 07:54 AM
Yamae

Received 880 Likes on 664 Posts

I'd simply bypass the fuel pump resister and distinguish the problem. The fuel pump works fully when bypassed and the engine runs better when your car's pump is close to the end of life.
Old 03-24-20, 08:13 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Undiagnosed raw fuel odor

O.P. Why not take your Lexus to a Certified Mechanic for diagnosis....
Old 03-24-20, 09:29 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
O.P. Why not take your Lexus to a Certified Mechanic for diagnosis....
just the ant to save as much money as possible right now. With the mass hysteria going on and affecting the economy the way it is... I don't want to spend money on something I can figure out on my own with y'all's help.
I'm in the oilfield and things are looking bleak.
Old 03-24-20, 09:31 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

I'd expect a leak then. When you get time just go over everything. Once I finish up with work I'll try to find you the fuel line diagrams.
i appreciate it. It doesn't always smell like fuel though. Just immediately after startup after it happens and when it dies.
Old 03-24-20, 09:42 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz4
just the ant to save as much money as possible right now. With the mass hysteria going on and affecting the economy the way it is... I don't want to spend money on something I can figure out on my own with y'all's help.
I'm in the oilfield and things are looking bleak.
Most shops do not charge for an estimate.

Old 03-24-20, 10:27 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Just sitting here waiting on a permit, but thinking. Could the coils be going out... Causing the sometimes fuel smell and the car dying?
Old 03-24-20, 10:42 AM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

I wouldn't expect a spark issue. Try to get it to happen while it's in your driveway and then pull the plugs out once it shuts off. If they're covered in fuel, we'll have to see where to go next. I still think the fuel pump is overheating after a while and causing this issue.

How long have you owned the car and how long has this been an issue?
Old 03-24-20, 11:05 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't expect a spark issue. Try to get it to happen while it's in your driveway and then pull the plugs out once it shuts off. If they're covered in fuel, we'll have to see where to go next. I still think the fuel pump is overheating after a while and causing this issue.

How long have you owned the car and how long has this been an issue?
Its died 4 times twice two weeks ago. I changed the filter, started the car (wasn't running that day) idles about 15 minutes and it died. 1 hour later it cranked right up and idled about 2 hours with no problems. Then yesterday it died at an intersection and had to wait till this morning and it fires right up. She has had the car for about 4 or 5 yeaslrs
Old 03-24-20, 11:50 AM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

This is a tough one to figure out via the internet. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Having those numbers would help tremendously. If Texas weren't so far away, I'd gladly swing by to help figure this out.

I had a town car back in the day that would stall occasionally and not want to restart. It had a torque converter control unit that was going bad that caused it to stall but it wouldn't restart because once in park, it wouldn't register that it was in park, which was a completely different issue..
Old 03-24-20, 04:01 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

This is a tough one to figure out via the internet. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Having those numbers would help tremendously. If Texas weren't so far away, I'd gladly swing by to help figure this out.

I had a town car back in the day that would stall occasionally and not want to restart. It had a torque converter control unit that was going bad that caused it to stall but it wouldn't restart because once in park, it wouldn't register that it was in park, which was a completely different issue..
I wish Texas wasn't either. Lol. But, honestly, no I don't have the fuel pressures. Last week I rented a pressure test kit from AutoZone and it was missing the attachment I needed (my fault) I didn't check to see what I needed. So, long story short, it was running fine at the moment. Speaking of which. Just got home. Car drove fine here. And now, while idling in the driveway typing this, rpms went to 2k and just died.
Old 03-24-20, 04:48 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Does it usually rev high right before it cuts off? I know you said you weren't getting any set codes but were/are there any pending codes?
Old 03-24-20, 05:35 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Does it usually rev high right before it cuts off? I know you said you weren't getting any set codes but were/are there any pending codes?
no pending codes and no. From normal idle, it just starts starts to stall down to 200 and stays there for a minute and then dies. It gets no response from the accelerater either.

Quick Reply: ??? (choking out or stalling)