LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

??? (choking out or stalling)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 12:50 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ??? (choking out or stalling)

I have a 98 LS 400. I can be driving fine, and then all of a sudden it will start choking out or stalling then die. Then after an hour or two, and sometimes the next day it will start fine and run fine for a ways. Then, it'll do it again and will not start. I've changed the fuel filter and ran Seafoam through the system. It throws no codes. I don't think it's an ECU problem. Y'all reckon it's a fuel pump? I just hate to change that and it may be something more simple and cheap.
Old 03-23-20, 01:39 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

How many miles are on the car?
Do you let the car warm up before you head down the road or is it still cold when you take off? If it's cold when you take off, does this problem typically happen when the car reaches normal temp? Any odd smells from the exhaust?

I've seen this issue with catalytic converters, fuel pumps, crank sensors, wiring problems, battery connections, etc. This might be a tough one to diagnose online.
Old 03-23-20, 01:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 420 Likes on 374 Posts

how long ago since the fuel filter change?
that job will inevitably introduce air into the fuel system causing issues you are experiencing; albeit temporarily.
priming the fuel system a few times (toggle the key between "ACC" and "ON" but do not engage the starter) may get rid of the air.

where did you use the seamfoam? through the intake? in the tank? i hope it did not ruin the fuel pump which could only be a coincidence and not the cause.
high miles can lead to fuel pump failure.
Old 03-23-20, 02:30 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhiteUCF
How many miles are on the car?
Do you let the car warm up before you head down the road or is it still cold when you take off? If it's cold when you take off, does this problem typically happen when the car reaches normal temp? Any odd smells from the exhaust?

I've seen this issue with catalytic converters, fuel pumps, crank sensors, wiring problems, battery connections, etc. This might be a tough one to diagnose online.
It has about 173k (it's actually my girlfriend's car). It's across town in a parking lot right now, so I can't check exact.
I've taught her to never start and tak off, rather wait till it idles down before taking off. So, there's that...it doesn't get too cold here in South Texas. It mostly happens when warm... But, last week (to answer the other reply) when I changed the filter, I started the car and just let it idles while I was cleaning up... Within, about 15 minutes, probably less, it died and I could smell fuel. So, I didn't think it would be the fuel pump. Normally, i've been driving and smell nothing.
Also, from time to time, I get the low catalyst bank 1 code.

Old 03-23-20, 02:33 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
how long ago since the fuel filter change?
that job will inevitably introduce air into the fuel system causing issues you are experiencing; albeit temporarily.
priming the fuel system a few times (toggle the key between "ACC" and "ON" but do not engage the starter) may get rid of the air.

where did you use the seamfoam? through the intake? in the tank? i hope it did not ruin the fuel pump which could only be a coincidence and not the cause.
high miles can lead to fuel pump failure.
I changed it last week and ran Seafoam through the tank. I'm sure there's still some in there as I have only driven it about 50 miles so far with the Seafoam.
But, the problem was pre-existing the filter change.
Old 03-23-20, 03:03 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

It's entirely plausible that the fuel pump is overheating or not working correctly. When the car shuts off, can you turn it to accessory and hear the pump whining? I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference whether you have a full tank or not?

When you get it home, can you pull a spark plug and see if it's covered in fuel? Fuel pressure regulator could be failing, injector o-rings could be gone.

Last edited by WhiteUCF; 03-23-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 03:26 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz4
I changed it last week and ran Seafoam through the tank. I'm sure there's still some in there as I have only driven it about 50 miles so far with the Seafoam.
But, the problem was pre-existing the filter change.
On 1999 LS400 had to replace original fiel pump at ~175,000 miles.

The will start, hard start, won't start scenario you describe is indicative of fuel pump failure.

Even if another contributing factor, your original fuel pump is on borrowed time.

Use OEM fuel pump, fuel regulator, o-ring, hose, hose clamps and fuel tank sock/filter.

Consider replacing both fuel dampers and related crush washers as part of fuel system tune-up.

You will need to remove lower and upper back seat cushions to access fuel pump.
Mind the rear (color coordinated) seat belt guides... They are brittle and will break if not careful. Carefully unscrew them from the seat backs. They will break should you attempt to unlatch them.

Be sure to acquire back seat lower cushion plastic "sockets". (pink and yellow) that the lower seat hooks into.

They are fragile plastic and break easily.

Careful.when extracting these from chassis, as the sheet metal chassis slots they plug into will bend if you are not careful.

If you let someone else perform replacement, be sure they understand this, and inspect their interior work before leaving shop.

P.S. Forget about teaching girlfriends anything

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-23-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:28 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
On 1999 LS400 had to replace original fiel pump at ~175,000 miles.

The will start, hard start, won't start scenario you describe is indicative of fuel pump failure.

Even if another contributing factor, your original fuel pump is on borrowed time.

Use OEM fuel pump, fuel regulator, o-ring, hose, hose clamps and fuel tank sock/filter.

Consider replacing both fuel dampers and related crush washers as part of fuel system tune-up.

You will need to remove lower and upper back seat cushions to access fuel pump.
Mind the rear (color coordinated) seat belt guides... They are brittle and will break if not careful. Carefully unscrew them from the seat backs. They will break should you attempt to unlatch them.

Be sure to acquire back seat lower cushion plastic "sockets". (pink and yellow) that the lower seat hooks into.

They are fragile plastic and break easily.

Careful.when extracting these from chassis, as the sheet metal chassis slots they plug into will bend if you are not careful.

If you let someone else perform replacement, be sure they understand this, and inspect their interior work before leaving shop.

P.S. Forget about teaching girlfriends anything
lol. You're probably right... But, this girl is actually not bad at listening. She does wait. Anyways, sounds pretty involved... But, with oil prices falling... Guess soon I'll have plenty of time to dive off into it.
The following users liked this post:
WhiteUCF (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 04:33 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

It's entirely plausible that the fuel pump is overheating or not working correctly. When the car shuts off, can you turn it to accessory and hear the pump whining? I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference whether you have a full tank or not?

When you get it home, can you pull a spark plug and see if it's covered in fuel? Fuel pressure regulator could be failing, injector o-rings could be gone.
Honestly, I didn't listen for it this time, as I did hear it do so on a sound recording my girl sent me when it happened to her (I'm a truck driver and wasn't home.) I should have listened for it. But, hindsight and all. I know better. Smh.
WhiteUCF (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 04:35 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Anyways, sounds pretty involved...
It's not a bad job at all. This is for a ucf10 but it's quite similar in procedure.
https://www.lextreme.com/lexus-ls400...ade-1990-1994/
Old 03-23-20, 04:37 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, I didn't listen for it this time, as I did hear it do so on a sound recording my girl sent me when it happened to her (I'm a truck driver and wasn't home.) I should have listened for it. But, hindsight and all. I know better. Smh.
Old 03-23-20, 04:40 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

It's not a bad job at all. This is for a ucf10 but it's quite similar in procedure.
https://www.lextreme.com/lexus-ls400...ade-1990-1994/
I appreciate this. And to everyone else... I truly appreciate all y'alls input.
WhiteUCF (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 04:57 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

I truly appreciate all y'alls input.
It's what we're here for. Someone on here (usually YODA) will know exactly what to do.
Old 03-23-20, 05:04 PM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

It's what we're here for. Someone on here (usually YODA) will know exactly what to do.
None the less, I appreciate it. Also, pretty sure it's gonna be the pump. Back at the car now, and can't hear it. Of course there's quiet a bit of traffic. I even crawled under it... Sort of. My big head and bigger belly stopped me from getting under it further.
WhiteUCF (03-23-20)
Old 03-24-20, 03:47 AM
Riz4
Driver School Candidate

Ok, went to car this morning and it started up without a hitch.. got it out of that parking lot to the truck stop parking lot, as I have to go haul something... My girl followed me and said it was throwing out a strong fuel smell. Is this indictive of anything?

Quick Reply: ??? (choking out or stalling)