LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Would you install these strut rods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 09:56 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i think we are nit picking here guys, and i'm all for getting what you paid for.
these parts have been sitting in a bin for decades so they will not bear sparkling new resemblance, especially big heavy parts like the strut rods which get knock around in the warehouse.

IMHO, the parts are just fine and are likely still in better condition that what's on your vehicle now.
the cracks on the rubber is just the paint cracking as it is not adhering well to the rubber, whereas the other one is likely manufactured at a different date, hence different aging.
seen it many times and i admit it has irritated me as well but i learned it's just the nature of owning older cars.

the better indication if the part is used are the mounting points on the other end or in the holes. does it have scratches there?
Old 03-26-20, 12:55 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with timmy0tool. probably have been rumblin around for a while i an the bin. If they were loose and not inte bag they may get some knicks.
reasonably Ok and not used in my opinion . It is common for under body parts to have paint that does stick very well.
Also the small cracks in the paint on the rubber could be normal after some time. The paint does not stick well.
I would not hesitate to use these.
Old 03-26-20, 01:12 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i think we are nit picking here guys, and i'm all for getting what you paid for.
these parts have been sitting in a bin for decades so they will not bear sparkling new resemblance, especially big heavy parts like the strut rods which get knock around in the warehouse.

IMHO, the parts are just fine and are likely still in better condition that what's on your vehicle now.
the cracks on the rubber is just the paint cracking as it is not adhering well to the rubber, whereas the other one is likely manufactured at a different date, hence different aging.
seen it many times and i admit it has irritated me as well but i learned it's just the nature of owning older cars.

the better indication if the part is used are the mounting points on the other end or in the holes. does it have scratches there?
Originally Posted by mikaelse
I agree with timmy0tool. probably have been rumblin around for a while i an the bin. If they were loose and not inte bag they may get some knicks.
reasonably Ok and not used in my opinion . It is common for under body parts to have paint that does stick very well.
Also the small cracks in the paint on the rubber could be normal after some time. The paint does not stick well.
I would not hesitate to use these.
Thank you both for chiming in. I agree regarding the paint on the one strut rod bushing; that was actually my original thought, paint that had started to flake. I figured the other scratches were from sitting around with other parts as well.

The problem is that, upon further inspection, the mounting holes in the bushings both appear to have scratches in them. Maybe it's from manufacturing? Or maybe it's from them being installed before? What really caused me to doubt myself were the threads on the mounting studs on the other end. They appear a bit dirty, but again, this could be from them sitting in a crate with other arms.

I'd be willing to give the strut rods a shot, as I don't think the rubber in the bushings is compromised given their age, and I don't believe we're looking at dry rot. The engine mounts on the other hand, I am concerned about. Their part number does not match what I ordered, and the mounts I received bear a part number that has been superseded twice, so who knows how old they are.
Old 03-29-20, 03:12 PM
heyTony
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tock172
Thank you both for chiming in. I agree regarding the paint on the one strut rod bushing; that was actually my original thought, paint that had started to flake. I figured the other scratches were from sitting around with other parts as well.

The problem is that, upon further inspection, the mounting holes in the bushings both appear to have scratches in them. Maybe it's from manufacturing? Or maybe it's from them being installed before? What really caused me to doubt myself were the threads on the mounting studs on the other end. They appear a bit dirty, but again, this could be from them sitting in a crate with other arms.

I'd be willing to give the strut rods a shot, as I don't think the rubber in the bushings is compromised given their age, and I don't believe we're looking at dry rot. The engine mounts on the other hand, I am concerned about. Their part number does not match what I ordered, and the mounts I received bear a part number that has been superseded twice, so who knows how old they are.
As long as they match up and are similar to the parts you are replacing, just use them. You are simply nitpicking at small details like part numbers and paint or manufacturing quality. Remember the main objective of the repair- to replace worn rubber parts. If these parts are similar in dimension, use them. Save yourself the headache; you have accomplished your main objective of repairing your vehicle. IE just use it man.
Old 04-04-20, 04:18 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Ended up returning the parts in question for a full refund. Placed another order for the same components from SSL Parts in Arizona. Everything arrived today and the parts, specifically the engine mounts, are in much better condition, while neither of the strut rods looks anything close to the rough one I returned. Everything will be installed next week.

I hate having to do things twice when it comes to auto maintenance and projects, and just wasn't willing to chance it with NOS parts that had been sitting around for who knows how long.
Old 04-04-20, 04:22 PM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just make sure to install the bushings the correct orientation. The square tabs downwards to "6" o'clock and the arms bending inwards (towards the engine).
Old 04-06-20, 10:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tock172
Ended up returning the parts in question for a full refund. Placed another order for the same components from SSL Parts in Arizona. Everything arrived today and the parts, specifically the engine mounts, are in much better condition, while neither of the strut rods looks anything close to the rough one I returned. Everything will be installed next week.

I hate having to do things twice when it comes to auto maintenance and projects, and just wasn't willing to chance it with NOS parts that had been sitting around for who knows how long.
Good to hear!!!!! No sense taking a chance of having to redo something in the near future cuz you used NOS parts. I, for one, applaud your decision.
Old 04-28-20, 08:24 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nvturbo
looks like a returned item. I would ask for a refund and buy new bushings and have them pressed in.
where does one typically find a reputable place that reliably (correctly) does this job?

Old 04-29-20, 09:35 AM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck58
where does one typically find a reputable place that reliably (correctly) does this job?
I replaced mine at home, using a 20-ton hydraulic press (Harbor Freight brand). If you don't have a press, you can go to a reputable repair shop and they can do it for you for about $50 or so. I've had to do this before. Went to some RV repair shop to press out some lower control arm bushings.
Old 05-06-20, 12:22 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to provide an update. Had everything installed a few weeks ago back in April. The first time I started the car when I picked it up from the shop, I immediately noticed the new engine mounts. The car felt absolutely broken with aftermarket engine mounts. The amount of vibration and harmonic resonance the transfer to the body is insane. The car feels the way I remember it now, and it's incredible. You rev the engine and see the tach needle move, but feel nothing—wow.

A similar thing happened with the strut rods. The first bump I drove over, the feeling of the front end being worn out was gone. The bushings are certainly doing their job to keep the car isolated from the road surface, and it's excellent. I'm amazed how good the car feels with nearly 140k miles and some new (albeit very important) parts.

I also had the transmission mount changed and I'm glad to did. The original unit on the car was dry rotted with a few large cracks, but I couldn't see them when I inspected the mount myself while beneath the car. Again, everything feels much better including shifting. I can hardly detect the gear changes when driving.

I look forward to driving this car for many, many more miles.