LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Would you install these strut rods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 09:21 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you install these strut rods?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, but I am a long term Lexus fan and car guy. There's been an LS400 of some kind in my family since 1991, and I currently have a 1999 as my daily driver.

This car has been in my family since new, has just under 140k miles, and I've been bringing it up to date in terms of maintenance and servicing over the past few months. I have every record since new, and am having the strut rods replaced for the first time. I know these are crucial to the feel of the car (along with the engine mounts, which I also have a new set of).

I recently ordered a set of genuine Toyota strut rods from a reputable dealership in the US. Unfortunately, when they showed up, the difference in their condition immediately caught my eye. In addition to the condition of the rubber bushing itself, the metal of the arm appears scratched, and I just have a feeling that it may have been installed before—but can't be sure. Maybe the one has been sitting on the shelf a few years longer than the other?

So, would you install these strut rods? The unit in question is circled in red on the right side. Thank you for your input!

Last edited by tock172; 03-24-20 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-24-20, 09:32 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea looks used to me.
Old 03-24-20, 09:33 PM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Who's the dealer? Not so reputable after all...?
Used rods with new bushings pressed in is one thing but if they are trying to pass these off as new I'd send them back and sever ties asap.
These don't even appear to be new bushings.
Old 03-24-20, 09:36 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
Who's the dealer? Not so reputable after all...?
Used rods with new bushings pressed in is one thing but if they are trying to pass these off as new I'd send them back and sever ties asap.
These don't even appear to be new bushings.
Discount Parts Monster (Toyota of Hollywood, Florida).

They're supposed to be new, along with all of the other genuine Toyota/Lexus parts I purchased from them. I requested an exchange last week, and sent photos last Wednesday, but have yet to hear back.

Do you think these rods are used with fresh bushings having been pressed in?

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-24-20, 10:42 PM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by tock172

Do you think these rods are used with fresh bushings having been pressed in?

Thank you for your input.
The condition of the rods is really of no consequence as long as they aren't bent and the threads are still clean. The bushings are the important part here. Nothing in the photos looks like a new part.

Old 03-24-20, 10:53 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
The condition of the rods is really of no consequence as long as they aren't bent and the threads are still clean. The bushings are the important part here. Nothing in the photos looks like a new part.
Wow. I've ordered tens of thousands of dollars worth of genuine BMW parts over the years and have never encountered this before. I've been sold NOS that's clearly been sitting around for years, and I've been sold parts that have been returned or passed around between dealers (like a few bits in this order, actually), but I have never been sold new, genuine parts from a dealer that are believed to be used.
Old 03-25-20, 04:20 AM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like a returned item. I would ask for a refund and buy new bushings and have them pressed in.
Old 03-25-20, 09:15 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

As the others have said, "those aren't new", at least the right one isn't. The right could be New Old Stock (NOS) but, for how many years, 20? That rubber is pretty cracked from dry rot. Looks like they just painted the whole thing and it got scraped from being on the shelf or a return from another customer that didn't trust them. Send 'em back and order from another dealer.
Old 03-25-20, 09:33 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Clearly used. I have no issue with used rods with new OEM bushings ...but if they are saying this is new then nah....I wouldn't pay new prices
Old 03-25-20, 12:02 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Okay guys, that seems like pretty good consensus. Thank you all for your opinions.

I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding my exchange request from last week. If I don't hear back today, I am going to file a claim with PayPal. I think this is totally unacceptable and I have already begun pricing the parts I need from another dealer.

By the way, one of my engine mounts looks like it's been in a vice before. Anyone want to see photos?
Old 03-25-20, 01:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by tock172
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, but I am a long term Lexus fan and car guy. There's been an LS400 of some kind in my family since 1991, and I currently have a 1999 as my daily driver.

This car has been in my family since new, has just under 140k miles, and I've been bringing it up to date in terms of maintenance and servicing over the past few months. I have every record since new, and am having the strut rods replaced for the first time. I know these are crucial to the feel of the car (along with the engine mounts, which I also have a new set of).

I recently ordered a set of genuine Toyota strut rods from a reputable dealership in the US. Unfortunately, when they showed up, the difference in their condition immediately caught my eye. In addition to the condition of the rubber bushing itself, the metal of the arm appears scratched, and I just have a feeling that it may have been installed before—but can't be sure. Maybe the one has been sitting on the shelf a few years longer than the other?

So, would you install these strut rods? The unit in question is circled in red on the right side. Thank you for your input!

These are for 1999 LS400..

Did they come in factory packaging?

If so, there are date codes contained in the Toyota P.N. label.

You could have 20.year old parts.... in which case the rubber is past its sell by date.

The vendor should agree to let you keep the parts, as they are not salable and in lieu of filing a complaint you will purchase bushings on your own and have them pressed in.

These bushings are indexed in relation to the stut rod, so obtain the relevant shop manual page before proceeding.

Old 03-25-20, 02:56 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
These are for 1999 LS400..

Did they come in factory packaging?

If so, there are date codes contained in the Toyota P.N. label.

You could have 20.year old parts.... in which case the rubber is past its sell by date.

The vendor should agree to let you keep the parts, as they are not salable and in lieu of filing a complaint you will purchase bushings on your own and have them pressed in.

These bushings are indexed in relation to the stut rod, so obtain the relevant shop manual page before proceeding.
Thanks. My Lexus is a 1999 LS400. The strut rods arrived without packaging, but they do have a a few labels on them that show my order date on them, and there are also genuine Toyota/Lexus labels affixed.

Last edited by tock172; 03-25-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 03:35 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Got some additional photos for the community. What's the opinion on the condition of the engine mounts? Are they genuine? They appear to have the same purple mark as other genuine Lexus mounts I've seen. Rubber looks a bit old, but not as bad as the strut rod in question.

Old 03-25-20, 03:39 PM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm most certain that motor mount has been in a box underneath some other parts for a long, long time. lol

Did you get the mount from the same place as the strut rod??
Old 03-25-20, 03:41 PM
tock172
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nvturbo
I'm most certain that motor mount has been in a box underneath some other parts for a long, long time. lol

Did you get the mount from the same place as the strut rod??
Yes, same place. DiscountPartsMonster, Toyota of Hollywood, FL.

I think you're right. Both motor mounts bear old part numbers that have been superseded in the system. I ordered two of 12361-50101, and they shipped me two of 12361-50021, the old part number. Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Would you install these strut rods?