LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should i buy this

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 12:42 PM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy this

Hi guys
I have received photos of LS400 1997 model and i am really concerned about these. Should i let this car to rot or buy? The other parts are fine.

Old 04-17-20, 03:42 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

those are very minor scrapes which don't seem too bad, but the rust is a concern.
not sure how Hungary is but in CA, USA seeing rust is rare but it does exist in cars that live near the beach.

to me for a 20+ year old car, that is ok to purchase but there are other factors to consider as well which are more important such as engine maintenance and suspension bits.
Old 04-17-20, 05:22 PM
heyTony
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
those are very minor scrapes which don't seem too bad, but the rust is a concern.
not sure how Hungary is but in CA, USA seeing rust is rare but it does exist in cars that live near the beach.

to me for a 20+ year old car, that is ok to purchase but there are other factors to consider as well which are more important such as engine maintenance and suspension bits.
This OP. Just buy it. Those are minor, everyday scrapes and can be fixed rather easily if you are truly bothered by it all. I've seen worse and like Timmy said, its a 20+ year old car. You're not losing out on much so don't worry: I'm sure you're gonna worry about more major repairs for the LS400 later. Like the timing belt or cooling system like the water pump. Just buy it: that's the fun of these cars, work on them and make them yours. No car is perfect.
Old 04-17-20, 11:45 PM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

1. Here the humidity is on relatively high level.
2. Yeah i know, those facts are already considered, seems to be that those are fine.
3. Car has not working heated seats and the windows clean system is not spraying liquid.

Thanks for the answer. Hopefully there will be more posts because it means the car has been bought.
My english btw kinda fail but hopefully you can understand me.

Old 04-17-20, 11:47 PM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heyTony
This OP. Just buy it. Those are minor, everyday scrapes and can be fixed rather easily if you are truly bothered by it all. I've seen worse and like Timmy said, its a 20+ year old car. You're not losing out on much so don't worry: I'm sure you're gonna worry about more major repairs for the LS400 later. Like the timing belt or cooling system like the water pump. Just buy it: that's the fun of these cars, work on them and make them yours. No car is perfect.
True, especially i am kinda unlucky with used cars.
The car is at anyway 220000 miles.
Old 04-18-20, 01:17 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

That's the bad? Wheres the good? How much is the seller asking for?
The following users liked this post:
Peacebay (04-18-20)
Old 04-18-20, 09:07 AM
Beetr00t
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

On a 23 year old car with 220k those little scratches would be very low on my list of concerns.
Old 04-18-20, 09:14 AM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Beetr00t
On a 23 year old car with 220k those little scratches would be very low on my list of concerns.
So what is your top priority concern list.
Old 04-18-20, 09:16 AM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
That's the bad? Wheres the good? How much is the seller asking for?
3055 dollars but dont forget it is in Hungary.
Old 04-18-20, 04:14 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Seydelben
3055 dollars but dont forget it is in Hungary.

Those scrapes are just in the plastic cladding beneath the LS400. They mean nothing. If the body has no rust and the engine and transmission are good then it should be good.
Old 04-18-20, 06:19 PM
Beetr00t
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seydelben
So what is your top priority concern list.
Probably the only things that would really scare me away from buying the car are significant rust, any unusual electrical issues, and transmission problems. Or just overall neglect.

It's an old car, you're going to need to put money in for maintenance and repair no matter what though so be prepared. I bought a pretty clean 2000 LS400 w/ 105k miles last year and I already have put more into fixing it up than I paid for the car.

Old 04-18-20, 08:47 PM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Beetr00t
Probably the only things that would really scare me away from buying the car are significant rust, any unusual electrical issues, and transmission problems. Or just overall neglect.

It's an old car, you're going to need to put money in for maintenance and repair no matter what though so be prepared. I bought a pretty clean 2000 LS400 w/ 105k miles last year and I already have put more into fixing it up than I paid for the car.
Unusual like the not working windows cleaner?
How much was that car. I guess the prices are really different here and there.
Old 04-19-20, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

If you're concerned over a nonfunctional windshield washer you have no business buying and driving a 20 year old car IMHO
Old 04-19-20, 09:58 AM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you're concerned over a nonfunctional windshield washer you have no business buying and driving a 20 year old car IMHO
Thanks for your useless advice.
Old 04-19-20, 09:59 AM
Seydelben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Those scrapes are just in the plastic cladding beneath the LS400. They mean nothing. If the body has no rust and the engine and transmission are good then it should be good.
Watch the photo more carefully, there are rust at the edges. The scrapes are not concern to me.

Quick Reply: Should i buy this