LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Lexus owner. 96 LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 12:56 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus owner. 96 LS

Hey everyone, new to the forum, always wanted a lexus. Picked up this 96 LS 400 for dirt cheap. Took a gamble on it as I didn't really check the car out. Has 140xxx miles and body is in great shape. So I drive it home a few miles blowing smoke out of the tailpipes, lot of smoke. Didn't overheat and ran sluggish rough but would clear up if I hit the gas hard. So first thing I'm thinking is dam, head gasket? Oil getting into the cylinders? Coolant leak. Got it home, check coolant and it was good. Oil was good. So I plug in my scan tool and got 13 codes. Got codes for misfires on all cyl..P0300 through P0308. Also P0171 says its lean bank 1. P0172 which says its rich.. P0420 and P0430 for both catalysts.... So this has me thinking it's fuel related. Also popped open my ecu and sure enough there was 1 or 2 leaking capacitors., the car has low miles and in very good shape so I'm hoping I can fix it. If not i'ts going straight to the jy. I'm very mechanically inclined. Mostly work on chevys but love the lexus. Anybody offer a ecu capacitor replacement service for cheap?

Last edited by Bonester; 04-18-20 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 02:31 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonester
Hey everyone, new to the forum, always wanted a lexus. Picked up this 96 LS 400 for dirt cheap. Took a gamble on it as I didn't really check the car out. Has 140xxx miles and body is in great shape. So I drive it home a few miles blowing smoke out of the tailpipes, lot of smoke. Didn't overheat and ran sluggish rough but would clear up if I hit the gas hard. So first thing I'm thinking is dam, head gasket? Oil getting into the cylinders? Coolant leak. Got it home, check coolant and it was good. Oil was good. So I plug in my scan tool and got 13 codes. Got codes for misfires on all cyl..P0300 through P0308. Also P0171 says its lean bank 1. P0172 which says its rich.. P0420 and P0430 for both catalysts.... So this has me thinking it's fuel related. Also popped open my ecu and sure enough there was 1 or 2 leaking capacitors., the car has low miles and in very good shape so I'm hoping I can fix it. If not i'ts going straight to the jy. I'm very mechanically inclined. Mostly work on chevys but love the lexus. Anybody offer a ecu capacitor replacement service for cheap?
I've got a 1996 and I pulled a spare ECU out of a junk yard and replaced caps on it and put it in my Lexus. I then replaced the caps on my old ecu, which has been sitting around as a spare for the last 5 years. I'd be willing to sell my original to you. As to the 420 and 430, most likely air leaks on both flanges just past the cats. Notorious for leaking there. Just get it up on jack stands and listen for leaks. For smoke out the tailpipes, check the idle up sensor on your power steering. THey are known to leak and throw power steering fluid back into your intakes(causing the smoke.)
Old 04-21-20, 07:56 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaaa
I've got a 1996 and I pulled a spare ECU out of a junk yard and replaced caps on it and put it in my Lexus. I then replaced the caps on my old ecu, which has been sitting around as a spare for the last 5 years. I'd be willing to sell my original to you. As to the 420 and 430, most likely air leaks on both flanges just past the cats. Notorious for leaking there. Just get it up on jack stands and listen for leaks. For smoke out the tailpipes, check the idle up sensor on your power steering. THey are known to leak and throw power steering fluid back into your intakes(causing the smoke.)
How much would you let it go for? Does it work? Funny thing is that it was running fine the day before not smoking at all. And now suddenly starts smoking again reeks of gas and throwing misfire codes for 2, 4, and number 6 cyl. I plugged the intake ports for the ps and still having issues. Need to rule out the ecu before I junk it?
Old 04-22-20, 09:12 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

How much would you let it go for? Does it work? Funny thing is that it was running fine the day before not smoking at all. And now suddenly starts smoking again reeks of gas and throwing misfire codes for 2, 4, and number 6 cyl. I plugged the intake ports for the ps and still having issues. Need to rule out the ecu before I junk it?
I'd be willing to let it go for $75. It worked fine before I did the cap job on it, just did it as a preventative maintenance issue. Caps only cost $10, and I had lots of time. PM me if you are interested in it.
Old 04-22-20, 11:56 AM
Bonester
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaaa
I'd be willing to let it go for $75. It worked fine before I did the cap job on it, just did it as a preventative maintenance issue. Caps only cost $10, and I had lots of time. PM me if you are interested in it.
Hopefully replacement ecm fixes issues. PM sent.
Old 04-27-20, 05:00 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Default Caps.

Close ups of damage on my ecu. Pretty sure it's toast.

Old 04-28-20, 07:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Close ups of damage on my ecu. Pretty sure it's toast.
Not "pretty sure" but definitely sure it's toast.
Just changing the caps wouldn't work on that one, that board is gone. I'm not an ECU expert but yea, toast.
Hope the new ECU clears up all the codes. I'm sure it will run better either way.
Old 04-28-20, 12:09 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Not "pretty sure" but definitely sure it's toast.
Just changing the caps wouldn't work on that one, that board is gone. I'm not an ECU expert but yea, toast.
Hope the new ECU clears up all the codes. I'm sure it will run better either way.
Popped in replacement ecu and still smokes heavily . Runs good and no smoke for the first two minutes then I can hear the engine tone change and smokes heavy at idle and worse when revving, Smoke looks white for the most part. I plugged the lines going to the intake from the ps pump but no go. My coolant looks good and level hasn't dropped. Oil is good as well and has not dropped either. Although a bit overfilled. Any ideas.? Going to be conducting a compression check soon.
Old 04-28-20, 03:15 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Default Replacement ecu.

So this replacement ecu is still giving me the same results as my old ecu. Popped open the ecu cover to inspect the replaced caps. Looks good but not sure if these are the correct caps. I ordered caps from the sticky and they say rubycon on them. These replacements don't. Also there is some sticky stuff all over the board and looks like glue. If it is not the ecu then I am surely burning oil or coolant so HG? Will a compression test determine that?

Old 04-28-20, 04:32 PM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts

A ECU does not control the oil burning, you need to know. What about those 13 different codes now?
Both KZE and KZM series of the Nippon Chemicon are listed and those ESR are low enough. Sounds like you didn't read the capacitors thread's post #1.
Old 04-28-20, 06:54 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
A ECU does not control the oil burning, you need to know. What about those 13 different codes now?
Both KZE and KZM series of the Nippon Chemicon are listed and those ESR are low enough. Sounds like you didn't read the capacitors thread's post #1.

Can it be just a lot of condensation? Spits out water when I rev it. If it was oil I don't think it would come out as water? Maybe I have to drive it off. Read a few posts mention the exhaust system on these cars takes a while to burn off the condensation.
Old 04-28-20, 06:57 PM
Bonester
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae

Can it be just a lot of condensation? Spits out water when I rev it. If it was oil I don't think it would come out as water? Maybe I have to drive it off. Read a few posts mention the exhaust system on these cars takes a while to burn off the condensation.

Old 04-29-20, 12:16 AM
Bonester
Rookie

Default Update

So I took it out for a long drive to see how long it would smoke for. Didn't smoke too bad and filled it up with fresh gas. I revved it many times just at idle and water would spit out the back until no more water and no more smoke came out. No overheating, no codes, drove flawlessly on the freeway doing over 100 mph. Drives fantastic. Going to continue to drive and see how it behaves. Any suggestions? I'll see how it behaves on the next test drive,
Old 04-29-20, 06:14 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

So I took it out for a long drive to see how long it would smoke for. Didn't smoke too bad and filled it up with fresh gas. I revved it many times just at idle and water would spit out the back until no more water and no more smoke came out. No overheating, no codes, drove flawlessly on the freeway doing over 100 mph. Drives fantastic. Going to continue to drive and see how it behaves. Any suggestions? I'll see how it behaves on the next test drive,
The car could have been sitting for along time/ not taken care of before you got it so yea it could be condensation. Sounds like it since the car is doing better now. Putting in the new ECU probably helped the car clear out whatever junk was in their causing it to smoke more at first. I hope it keeps going trouble free.
Old 04-29-20, 06:44 AM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts

So those 13 different error codes are gone. Those KZE and KZM series of capacitors are doing a good job as expected. The ECU had been working poorly by those old QAS capacitors and the combustion must not be done well. All you need to do now is to run some more to clear up unburnt remainings. Due to the poorly running engine, the carbon and the oil must be remaining in cylinders and catalytic converters, I think.

Quick Reply: New Lexus owner. 96 LS