LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Which part to do first on front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 12:14 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sailor95
Which brand and where are yall sourcing you outers? Juat local auto parts store and what they can get? Or does someone have a good amazon/ebay seller link?
Moog would be the only aftermarket option I'd go with. Rock Auto carries them for less than anyone else.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (05-10-20)
Old 05-10-20, 05:51 PM
sailor95
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much success has everyone had with rockauto, ive never used them before, i found the right and left moog outters on amazon for 50 for the 2 of them
Old 05-10-20, 07:11 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

How much success has everyone had with rockauto, ive never used them before, i found the right and left moog outters on amazon for 50 for the 2 of them
Unless I need OEM rock is my go to
Old 05-10-20, 09:44 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

This is a car where I try and stay OEM as much as possible. lexuspartsnow.com has been good to me for sourcing parts, even oddball ones. I use a combination of them and online dealership parts desks.

If sourcing is impossible, I would be willing to use Moog or Beck/Arnley.
Old 05-11-20, 05:39 AM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been using rock auto for just about everything for my truck. Local part stores have been slacking and have to order everything so I may as well do it myself and save a few bucks.
Sin1UZFE (05-11-20)
Old 05-11-20, 06:33 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by WhiteUCF
I've been using rock auto for just about everything for my truck. Local part stores have been slacking and have to order everything so I may as well do it myself and save a few bucks.
Quite a bit less on rock. I needed a strut that day so I paid 115 for one at O'Reilly....I got the other one off rock for almost half price
Old 05-11-20, 06:39 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Quite a bit less on rock. I needed a strut that day so I paid 115 for one at O'Reilly....I got the other one off rock for almost half price
Can't you just order the part off Rockauto and purchase the one in store and then return the Rockauto part to the store when it arrives to have the best of both worlds. Its technically still the same new part you're returning so nobody is out anything and you saved a bunch of money and had the part sooner.
Old 05-11-20, 07:05 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Can't you just order the part off Rockauto and purchase the one in store and then return the Rockauto part to the store when it arrives to have the best of both worlds. Its technically still the same new part you're returning so nobody is out anything and you saved a bunch of money and had the part sooner.
Lol never thought of that but ordered the second one from rock as I needed to do the other side. The left side was much worse and needed to be done ASAP
Old 05-11-20, 01:41 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

That's the way I used to do things, but not with Rockauto cuz it's not really worth it if ya have to pay the shipping cost.
Once I bought something (non-auto related) from Amazon in Dec. for $300, saw it on sale in store middle of Jan for 80% off. Bought and returned to Amazon same day as a Xmas gift not needed. I made $240. That was worth it.

The good thing about Rockauto is they usually have everything you're looking for, I just don't like the shipping cost.
I got my Moog outer tierods from Amazon. One was made in China, and the other was Mexico. I was shocked but that was 3 years ago with no problems yet.
Old 05-15-20, 08:28 AM
sailor95
Rookie

Awesome guys, just placed order for 2 moogs from amazon, came out to 54.xx shipped. Here are the links if anyone also needs them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180DWYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180DWYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon Amazon
WhiteUCF (05-15-20)
Old 05-17-20, 01:07 AM
Ahillsls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eye easy job on series 2 . Pipe wrench the Inners off. My sockets on the inner were metal to metal.
Old 05-18-20, 08:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Awesome guys, just placed order for 2 moogs from amazon, came out to 54.xx shipped. Here are the links if anyone also needs them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-ES80291-..._t1_B00180DWYM
Not a bad price for both but there's one thing I notice. I don't like the nut on those. When I did my Moog tie rods on the 94 they came with a castle nut with cotter pin. (and still do) Can't understand why the 99 wouldn't use a cotter pin. Bad aftermarket design???? Does OEM have cotter pin?
Old 05-18-20, 09:03 AM
sailor95
Rookie

If anything i could find a new castle nut and cotter pin to go with id imagine, the outer right was delivered today so I will check and report back
Old 05-18-20, 09:24 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Not a bad price for both but there's one thing I notice. I don't like the nut on those. When I did my Moog tie rods on the 94 they came with a castle nut with cotter pin. (and still do) Can't understand why the 99 wouldn't use a cotter pin. Bad aftermarket design???? Does OEM have cotter pin?
I just ordered Moog front lower balljoints only to realize they came with that nylon locknut instead of the castle nut and pin and cancelled the order. I reordered OEM Lexus balljoints just now because of that reason, they were about $137 more but puts me at ease.

But then again, when I did my rear upper control arms, the OEM way of securing it is using a large flanged 19mm zinc coated locknut that survived 21 years of salted roads and the elements so who knows what's the best way of doing it. I still prefer the castle nut/cotter pin combo if its available.
Old 05-18-20, 10:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

$137 more but puts me at ease.
. I still prefer the castle nut/cotter pin combo if its available.
I say "gotta have the cotter pin". "In the right place". The Dorman front Upper Control Arms I had to add an extra nut to get the castle nut to line up with the hole in the ball joint for the cotter pin. Only cuz it was cheaper then going OEM. "Some" aftermarket sucks.

Quick Reply: Which part to do first on front end?