LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 08:25 PM
morlexus96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank but won't start

Hello Lexus Community,
I need help on my 1996 LS400. Its about 127K miles. It has no prior issues, everything was running good until when I replaced timing belt, water pump, and pull out crank pulley. It all started when I replaced the starter and later decided to replaced other stuffs as I mention above in a hope to keep the car well maintained. After replacing the starter the car start right and seem no issues but only after replacing the timing belt, water pump. I checked all cam and crank sensors which I never took it out or replaced and looks they all are in original setting. The timing belt also look aligned with the timing but could not think of another issues. Needs help please.
Old 04-26-20, 08:49 PM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Any chance you forgot to replace this? Kind of a long shot but the car won't start without it. I left it on the workbench once a long time ago, it's the kind of mistake you only make once.

Old 04-27-20, 07:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Any chance you forgot to replace this? Kind of a long shot but the car won't start without it. I left it on the workbench once a long time ago, it's the kind of mistake you only make once.
Oh yea, only once. On my first T-belt on my 93 I was about half way together, looked down, and said "what the hell is this thing and where does it go?" Luckily I saw it when I did.
Old 04-27-20, 08:30 AM
morlexus96
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. Yes the crank plate is in place, I never had to remove it. Still couldn't figure out the issues.
Old 04-27-20, 09:23 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by morlexus96
Thanks for the information. Yes the crank plate is in place, I never had to remove it. Still couldn't figure out the issues.
Didn't remove it? That's a first, it needs to come off to get the T-belt off. 🤔😀 I would check the crank sensor (with a meter) to see if it's in spec. Does the RPM gauge move when you crank the engine?

Last edited by deanshark; 04-27-20 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (04-27-20)
Old 04-27-20, 08:22 PM
morlexus96
Driver School Candidate

I taught I replied you earlier but I do not see the post. If this is duplicate please ignore it. Yes you are right the crank plate needs to come out first. Now I remember taking it off and putting it back after installing the belt. The RPM does not move when crank. I wonder how that may went bad so quickly as it was no problem before installing the timing belt. Also Can you please help what crank pulley installer you use, I tried two different one with adapters but does not fit it right. I do not know the exact size of the crank bolt.
Old 04-28-20, 07:16 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I taught I replied you earlier but I do not see the post. If this is duplicate please ignore it. Yes you are right the crank plate needs to come out first. Now I remember taking it off and putting it back after installing the belt. The RPM does not move when crank. I wonder how that may went bad so quickly as it was no problem before installing the timing belt. Also Can you please help what crank pulley installer you use, I tried two different one with adapters but does not fit it right. I do not know the exact size of the crank bolt.
Are you talking about the crank bolt that holds it in place. You don't really use the puller to install it. Also, there is a key that only allows the crank pully to go on one way. I have seen a picture where someone tried to pound it on without lining up the keyway(wasn't pretty).
Old 04-28-20, 06:27 PM
morlexus96
Driver School Candidate

I was little bit confused how should be the crank pulley be installed. At first I did align it with key and used impact gun as I do not have high torque wrench. But after watching couple videos I thought the crank pulley should only be installed manually using an installer tools. I am not sure the installation of this pulley is different from others. To me it was easy one when using the impact wrench. After the videos I was trying to find right installer so I that can install manually. But still did not find it. Now I am more confused when you said I do not need an installer to installer the crank pulley where as youtubers says otherwise.
Old 04-29-20, 07:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

I was little bit confused how should be the crank pulley be installed. At first I did align it with key and used impact gun as I do not have high torque wrench. But after watching couple videos I thought the crank pulley should only be installed manually using an installer tools. I am not sure the installation of this pulley is different from others. To me it was easy one when using the impact wrench. After the videos I was trying to find right installer so I that can install manually. But still did not find it. Now I am more confused when you said I do not need an installer to installer the crank pulley where as youtubers says otherwise.
The install/removal tool
Amazon Amazon
is just to assist you in loosening and tightening the pulley bolt cuz it needs to be something like 280 ft lbs. All it does is stop the pulley from turning while you're turning the bolt. I usually just jam a screwdriver in the flywheel to stop everything from turning. Did you check to see if the crank sensor is in spec yet? Also check the wiring that goes to it, depending on how much, if any, oil leaked on it then it could be corroded.
Old 04-29-20, 06:25 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Battery in key? I know sounds dumb but seen it happen in Toyotas.
Old 05-01-20, 08:22 AM
morlexus96
Driver School Candidate

I have not got time to check the spec of the sensor yet. I have to do a research for it, not sure what's the proper way to do that. I will tear it a part again and check every wiring and sensor. Will give last shot or going to junkyard.