LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 03:43 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fuel pump

Hi again everybody

My 1993 LS400 is not starting due to an ECU problem. My question is: is it ok to run 12v directly to the fuel pump from an outside source in order to start the car? What problems can I run in to if I do that? This will not be a permanent thing and only until I get the ECU fixed.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-20, 04:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Fuse it and be damn sure no vapor is going to escape.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 04:35 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hahaha yea escaping gasoline vapor wouldn't be the best thing would it? Thanks for your answer and the fuse is a really good idea - I didn't think of it.

Thx again
Anthony

Old 05-05-20, 04:49 PM
Yamae

Received 892 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by avhart
Hi again everybody

My 1993 LS400 is not starting due to an ECU problem. My question is: is it ok to run 12v directly to the fuel pump from an outside source in order to start the car? What problems can I run in to if I do that? This will not be a permanent thing and only until I get the ECU fixed.

Thanks in advance
You can try it to try to start the engine but there are 2 issues you need to know.

Once the engine is started, you need to insert the fuel pump resistor 0.7 ohm to reduce the current to the fuel pump motor's current line. The resistor dissipate at least 36W of heat and you should be careful for that. ie: Voltage drop 5V --> P=E X E / R = 5 X 5 / 0.7 = 35.714

Another item to need to know is that there is no protection function done by the circuit opening relay. As long as the engine itself has no problem, you don't need to worry about this.
avhart (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 05:03 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Once again, Yamae, you have come to my aid. That is just absolutely vital information that I was totally unaware of. I did some internet research before getting on the forum and although I found that the direct 12 volt supply would indeed work but there was no mention of the pump requiring a voltage drop resistor once the car has started.

This kind of information can only be found on a forum such as this one and only from someone like you with in depth and expert knowledge of the subject. Once I get it going I would post an update because I have some more information about that USA spec ECU I was supposed to try. Remember?

But for now a hundred thanks
Anthony
Old 05-07-20, 04:51 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey guys, I have another question. When I took the original pump out the bracket was pretty rusty. Well I cleaned it up by wire brushing and I would like to know if I should coat it with anything before I put it back in with the new pump.

Thanks
Anthony
Old 05-08-20, 10:04 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

For all who may be interested. I bought a new fuel pump and strainer from eBay and installed it and that solved my starting problem. I didn't need to disconnect it from the circuit and run it on an external 12v source after all. The ECU I am using is not working well and causing the engine to surge up and down but at least it can start the car and pump up the suspension.

I am sending the other ECU up to Automotive Scientific in the US for repairs starting Monday 11th. I will let you guys know how that works out when I get it back. Thanks Yamae for all your help.

Anthony
The following 2 users liked this post by avhart:
Sin1UZFE (05-08-20), Yamae (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 03:38 PM
Yamae

Received 892 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by avhart
For all who may be interested. I bought a new fuel pump and strainer from eBay and installed it and that solved my starting problem. I didn't need to disconnect it from the circuit and run it on an external 12v source after all. The ECU I am using is not working well and causing the engine to surge up and down but at least it can start the car and pump up the suspension.

I am sending the other ECU up to Automotive Scientific in the US for repairs starting Monday 11th. I will let you guys know how that works out when I get it back. Thanks Yamae for all your help.

Anthony
Thanks for the update, avhart. So it was the fuel pump that was causing the non starting problem.
Anyway I hope your ECU will be fixed and you'll enjoy the car ride again.
avhart (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 03:47 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thank you Yamae. I never knew you couldn't send a short message with like two words (the first two). This one should pass the test lol.

Anthony