LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mounts, misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 06:06 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Mounts, misfire?

Took a 4 day trip, came back and started her up for the first time, to my suprise the whole car was shaking, as If there was no motor mounts at all... ended up just putting it into different gears and it eventually went away, it’s been a few weeks and now I’m starting to feel it coming back, pulled a few plugs and they looked OK, i wouldn’t call it a full on shake yet.... more of a hard hesitation you can feel in the floor at idle. Suggestions? Trying not to do motor mounts if possible

Old 05-06-20, 10:54 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Its one of those things probably best just to bring it to a shop and lift it up in the air and inspect everything on the underside of the car. Obviously it could be more than one thing but that's probably the best place to start a physical inspection of the components on a lift get under there and look at everything.
Old 05-07-20, 02:54 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

all you do is ask questions why dont you learn how to search for your answers?
Old 05-08-20, 07:38 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
all you do is ask questions why dont you learn how to search for your answers?
😡 Wow it bugs me sometimes when people just say search.

I'm sure he looked at some old threads but what's he supposed to search for? Something like "car shakes".????? Mentioning that to someone new is ok but he's been here a while and done some work on his car so he does know how to search. Hell, I still ask questions also. I'm sure it's hard to search for his symptoms, so he asked.
I don't know his full capabilities but damn, even I ask just to be pointed in some direction. These youngsters don't have all our knowledge from years and years of turning wrenches.
Imagine if you're in school, (if you can remember that far back) ya raise your hand and ask a question and the teacher says "why don't you go search". You'll never see that kid again.

Sorry, just had to vent.
Old 05-08-20, 10:24 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deanshark
😡 Wow it bugs me sometimes when people just say search.

I'm sure he looked at some old threads but what's he supposed to search for? Something like "car shakes".????? Mentioning that to someone new is ok but he's been here a while and done some work on his car so he does know how to search. Hell, I still ask questions also. I'm sure it's hard to search for his symptoms, so he asked.
I don't know his full capabilities but damn, even I ask just to be pointed in some direction. These youngsters don't have all our knowledge from years and years of turning wrenches.
Imagine if you're in school, (if you can remember that far back) ya raise your hand and ask a question and the teacher says "why don't you go search". You'll never see that kid again.

Sorry, just had to vent.
nice going, I had it coming, had a bad day and vented on him, sorry, OP.
Old 05-08-20, 12:16 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
nice going, I had it coming, had a bad day and vented on him, sorry, OP.
So did I. I guess we're all having bad days now. We're all here for the knowledge, and sometimes some laughs.
Sorry Bill, still buds man.
kambam, Hope ya figure out what it is. Also, hope ya had a good 4 day trip, good to get away with everything going on during this crazy time.
Old 05-08-20, 03:00 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Honestly, this isn't the first time Billy has @ me before. I did a search and couldn't find something similar to a random whole car shaking then it suddenly disappearing which is why I asked, and yes I am going to school so my knowledge is lacking.
Old 05-08-20, 03:41 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kambam3627
Honestly, this isn't the first time Billy has @ me before. I did a search and couldn't find something similar to a random whole car shaking then it suddenly disappearing which is why I asked, and yes I am going to school so my knowledge is lacking.
WELL I am, 86 and senile; Senile: 1. Pertaining to old age. 2. Pertaining to the physical decline associated with old age. 3. Pertaining to the mental decline once associated with old age but now known to be due to dementia, I just need to read and not think about what to say... I'll try
Old 05-09-20, 02:59 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I have this issue with my car. After letting it sitting for long periods of time (which is normal for me), it'll shake like a misfire but under my butt. My trans mount only has 15k miles on it but you can see it moving at idle while the car is in the air. The previous owner replaced all mounts but they must've been cheap ones. Easy to rule out the carrier bearing since the drive shaft isn't moving. After getting to about 15mph it'll smooth out and won't happen again until I start it up a few months later.
Old 05-12-20, 09:30 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by kambam3627
Took a 4 day trip, came back and started her up for the first time, to my suprise the whole car was shaking, as If there was no motor mounts at all... ended up just putting it into different gears and it eventually went away, it’s been a few weeks and now I’m starting to feel it coming back, pulled a few plugs and they looked OK, i wouldn’t call it a full on shake yet.... more of a hard hesitation you can feel in the floor at idle. Suggestions? Trying not to do motor mounts if possible

what year is your car? might be a simple MAF clean...
be aware what type of MAF you have; Karman Vortex type on earlier LS400's is NOT safe to clean with MAF cleaner.

also there are talks of stale fuel, or a sign of a failing fuel pump but do the simpler stuff first like ignition which you are doing already.