LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Noisey air intake connector pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 05:19 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Noisey air intake connector pipe

The flexible air intake connector pipe generates considerable hissing noise as a result of airflow turbulence through it's flexible corrugated section.

Because this section's function accommodates engine movement, it is impractical to replace it with solid smooth tubing, so contemplate collaring it externally with a flexible material that will serve as a sound barrier/absorber, yet not interfere with its function or durability.

Noisy corrugated flexible coupling in air intake stream..

Seeking recommendations on sound barrier/absorber vendor.

Thanks

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-13-20 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 06:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

you sure there's not just a leak somewhere? i've spent many minutes standing next to my idling engine with the hood up and i definitely don't remember a 'considerable hissing' from that piece

Old 05-13-20, 07:11 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

That is almost exactly what my 98 engine sounds like strock. Why do the 98-00 models get that ticking from the engine?
Old 05-13-20, 07:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you sure there's not just a leak somewhere? i've spent many minutes standing next to my idling engine with the hood up and i definitely don't remember a 'considerable hissing' from that piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOlE_WmYVk
Airflow through corrugated tubing generates considerable hissing noise:

For your review:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Pipes_A_Review

An excerpt:

Acoustics of Corrugated Pipes: A Review

Corrugated pipes and tubes are commonly used in many engineering and industrial applications because they offer global flexibility combined with local rigidity. Some of the engineering systems which use the corrugated pipes are Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) storage systems, risers for offshore oil and gas industries, heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC), aerospace and automobile cabin cooling systems, and certain domestic appliances such as vacuum cleaners. Air flow through a short or a long length of corrugated pipes can cause the pipes to emit loud and clear a tonala sounds or a whistlinga at some critical flow conditions. Interaction and coupling of these acoustic waves with vortex shedding-flow instability can result in severe noise and structural vibration problems. A phenomenon of sound generation in corrugated pipes is also observed in a children's toy called a Hummer,a a Voice of the Dragon,a or a Magic Whistle.a This review paper focuses on the research work carried out to date to study the sound generation mechanism and its reduction methodology in corrugated pipes with air flow. This paper reviews and summarizes the various theoretical, experimental and computational work carried out in relation to acoustics of corrugated pipes.

See attached PDF:

https://link.springer.com/article/10...348-017-2391-1

Now that experts have determined my ears are not playing tricks on me, am seeking constructive suggestions on ways to aesthetically collar the corrugated section of the air intake tube to absorb and/or block the noise.

Thank you
Old 05-13-20, 07:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
That is almost exactly what my 98 engine sounds like strock. Why do the 98-00 models get that ticking from the engine?
you have an all aluminum engine and 4 camshafts activating 32 valves, i guess that's just the noise that makes lol

The following users liked this post:
BNastee (05-19-20)
Old 05-13-20, 09:58 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Fuel injectors produce a symphony of clicking/ticking noises.

Use a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of rubber hose between your ear and a fuel injector to listen to each individually.

The 4 rear injectors came with EPDM covers from the factory, otherwise sparse damping, sound absorbers or barriers.

Plenty of room for sound reduction at injectors.

Old 05-14-20, 10:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

right, the ticking noises are normally the fuel injectors doing their thing!
it is much more prevelant in news Lexus engines as their pressure are so much higher.

as for the suction sound, perhaps consider adding a chamber or accumulator to act as a resonator in the intake tract.
i've seen this on my 97's intake, and some other makes too as the engineers try to minimize intake noise.

this even works on the exhaust side of things to limit drone, utilizing a helmholtz resonator.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../129212/page1/
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone
Old 05-14-20, 12:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
right, the ticking noises are normally the fuel injectors doing their thing!
it is much more prevelant in news Lexus engines as their pressure are so much higher.

as for the suction sound, perhaps consider adding a chamber or accumulator to act as a resonator in the intake tract.
i've seen this on my 97's intake, and some other makes too as the engineers try to minimize intake noise.

this even works on the exhaust side of things to limit drone, utilizing a helmholtz resonator.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../129212/page1/
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone
The intake tract on our LS400's employs an intake resonator...it is the large plastic box atop the right valve cover...

The intake resonator box is integrated into air intake tube...

External intake tube noise described in the original post is emanating from the corrugated section of the intake tube, thus cannot be assisted by the engine-tuned OEM Intake resonator.

At the moment only seeking information on material suggestions to collar the corrugated section so as to absorb/dampen/block the noise.

Thanks for understanding

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-14-20 at 03:44 PM.