LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 03:05 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Temps

How high above the 2nd to the last line on temp gauge is normal? It's 106 here and I drove about 120 miles today and when in town in drive through it went a few ticks above. Basically to middle of gauge. Hasn't gone that high til temps hit these highs

Cleaned out the front of ac and radiator fins months ago

Edit: topped out at 109. According to car.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-05-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 11:05 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

If it's anything other than this, it's hotter than normal.

Name:  K742jv6.png
Views: 5
Size:  45.1 KB

I believe this gauge has some "play" built in, where it will read the same level +\- 10 degrees or whatever it is. If you're a tick above it, the coolant is quite a bit warmer than the thermostat wants it to be.
Old 06-04-20, 11:06 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
If it's anything other than this, it's hotter than normal.

Yea got a bit more than that. Usually stays at that line
Old 06-04-20, 11:10 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Could be thermostat, could be temp sensor, could be fan clutch.

Some testing ideas to diagnose here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...an-clutch.html
Old 06-04-20, 11:11 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Could be thermostat, could be temp sensor, could be fan clutch.

Some testing ideas to diagnose here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...an-clutch.html
Fan clutch bracket mount and fan were replaced last year. Replaced thermostat with when timing belt was done. Temp sensor wasn't done by me tho
Old 06-04-20, 11:19 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Fan clutch bracket mount and fan were replaced last year. Replaced thermostat with when timing belt was done. Temp sensor wasn't done by me tho
The bracket mount was replaced? Or the actual fan clutch was replaced? One is a mounting plate, one is a thermal coil that measures the heat of the radiator and adjusts the fan speed.
Old 06-04-20, 11:20 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

The bracket mount was replaced? Or the actual fan clutch was replaced? One is a mounting plate, one is a thermal coil that measures the heat of the radiator and adjusts the fan speed.
Everything, fan blade, clutch and bracket

As for sensors I found two

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...422-30030.html

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...()&Location=pd

Both?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-04-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 11:27 PM
400fanboy
Racer

I'm actually not sure which one may be causing the issue. Do the normal testing methods to make sure your fan clutch is working as it should, then move on to the temp sensors.

Here is some more info on them:

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
there are two coolant temp sensors, one for the gauge and one for the ECU. make sure you replace the right one, if replacing!
the one for the ECU is the one that affects your MPGs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ange-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...read-this.html

and the temp gauge should not be right in the middle. my car's needle always rested below middle at operating temp (just like the picture above).
Old 06-04-20, 11:28 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

I'm actually not sure which one may be causing the issue. Do the normal testing methods to make sure your fan clutch is working as it should, then move on to the temp sensors.

Here is some more info on them:
I'll replace both.

​​​​​Thanks!
Old 06-04-20, 11:36 PM
400fanboy
Racer

$110 and $60, not cheap parts.

There may be ways to determine which may be causing your issues, but we're at the end of my knowledge here on the subject. Hopefully someone else weighs in who knows more to help point you in the right direction of which may be best to start with.

Do double check your fan clutch though - you are indeed overheating on very hot days. Failing temp sensors give weird results even on cool days based on my ramblings through those threads. The car should be able to handle 106 degrees. I had to replace my fan clutch twice - The original failed, the replacement was FUBAR and had to be warrantied. Just FYI.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 06-04-20 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 12:18 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

$110 and $60, not cheap parts.

There may be ways to determine which may be causing your issues, but we're at the end of my knowledge here on the subject. Hopefully someone else weighs in who knows more to help point you in the right direction of which may be best to start with.

Do double check your fan clutch though - you are indeed overheating on very hot days. Failing temp sensors give weird results even on cool days based on my ramblings through those threads. The car should be able to handle 106 degrees. I had to replace my fan clutch twice - The original failed, the replacement was FUBAR and had to be warrantied. Just FYI.
I see it this way, troubleshooting takes time. Time is money, for the same price of buying correct part after troubleshooting and labor..or less just get parts. This isn't a $400 power steering pump etc lol

Tho my situation may not be like everyone elses and shouldnt be referenced. Troubleshooting is key but in my case its quicker and cheaper given everything else has been changed out

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-05-20 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 08:23 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

It's 106 here and I drove about 120 miles today and when in town in drive through it went a few ticks above. Basically to middle of gauge.
My 93 and 94 both the temp gauges were exactly in the middle when warm and running. Don't know if your 99 is supposed to run a bit cooler but you're not overheating, the temp just went up a bit. Normal in the heat.

I see it this way, troubleshooting takes time. Time is money,
Tho my situation may not be like everyone elses and shouldnt be referenced. Troubleshooting is key but in my case its quicker and cheaper given everything else has been changed out
Cheaper is always better, if it works. But I agree with you about diagnosing or just changing a cheap part that could be the problem.
Just my opinion and experience; the temp sensor for the ECU I bought one for my 93 from Autozone in 2011 for $20, took it from the 93 when I junked the car and put in my 94 in 2016 and it's still working fine. I feel aftermarket is fine for that sensor, some will disagree.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (06-10-20)
Old 06-11-20, 02:17 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

My 99' LS for the very first time, also went exactly to the middle of the gauge where it normally would otherwise be just above the 2nd mark. I use to live in MI but moved back to AZ 2 weeks ago. But i was climbing a 6000 ft hill and it was 105+ outside with about 3 panes of glass from an entertainment center in the back trunk and some other misc stuff in my trunk. Slow going up the hill since I was following my friend driving the Penske truck and trailer, so I was going about 45 mph. I had the AC off thinking it would be less taxing on the engine and the temp got elevated to the middle, but once I turned the AC on, it immediately dropped even though we were still climbing. So i guess the AC electric fan helped bring the temps down.
The following users liked this post:
Sin1UZFE (06-11-20)
Old 06-12-20, 09:45 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
My 99' LS for the very first time, also went exactly to the middle of the gauge where it normally would otherwise be just above the 2nd mark. I use to live in MI but moved back to AZ 2 weeks ago. But i was climbing a 6000 ft hill and it was 105+ outside with about 3 panes of glass from an entertainment center in the back trunk and some other misc stuff in my trunk. Slow going up the hill since I was following my friend driving the Penske truck and trailer, so I was going about 45 mph. I had the AC off thinking it would be less taxing on the engine and the temp got elevated to the middle, but once I turned the AC on, it immediately dropped even though we were still climbing. So i guess the AC electric fan helped bring the temps down.
Gonna run my free fixd on it to get live data during this time next time it gets that hot. What temp should I be looking for?
Old 06-12-20, 10:12 AM
bradland

Received 690 Likes on 565 Posts

Gonna run my free fixd on it to get live data during this time next time it gets that hot. What temp should I be looking for?
Assuming you have a 180 degree (OE spec) thermostat-
The thermostat starts opening at 180 and "SHOULD BE" fully open at 200 or 205. This doesn't necessarily mean your coolant temp will stay at 205ish, it can and will go up from there.
220 is still considered normal but anything higher than than may be cause for concern. Other factors obviously come into play here, highway driving vs stop and go etc...
The coolant cools everything it comes in contact with but if there's not enough air moving through the radiator the function of the fluid is limited.

Quick Reply: Temps