LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Siphon transmission fluid via dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20 | 12:09 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Default Siphon transmission fluid via dipstick

Has anyone changed out their transmission fluid (partial change) by siphoning out through the dip stick?
How many quarts of transmission fluid should I expect to remove using this method?
Thanks
Old 06-10-20 | 12:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I Haven't tried this method. The tube in the LS is a fairly small diameter so check that the siphon hose will fit. If it does you'll easily be able to measure what comes out is replaced. Would be nice to not have to get on the floor by doing this.
Old 06-10-20 | 01:25 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mzeitlin
Has anyone changed out their transmission fluid (partial change) by siphoning out through the dip stick?
How many quarts of transmission fluid should I expect to remove using this method?
Thanks
This works well and is easier than crawling under car, opening drain plug, draining,, replacing crush washer and torquing drain bolt.

I use the West Marine Oil Extractor.

Has necessary tubes and very durable

Plan on 3 to 5 quarts.

The extractor container measures quantity so you know how much to replenish

I also use for oil changes

Old 06-10-20 | 01:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Works well but is slower obviously, I prefer dropping the pan to inspect and replace the filter and clean off all residue. If you are not interested in replacing the filter then it's a great way to do it difficulty wise and the tool is very useful for fluid service

Last edited by Striker223; 06-10-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-10-20 | 02:20 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

No you should only do it from the bottom pan......

Oh unless you have a tool for it I mean I guess that is better if Yoda says it is. I thought you were planning on using a turkey baster and tubing or summit.....
Old 06-10-20 | 03:24 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Op inquired about siphoning oil via dipstick

The A341D, A340E , A650-E did not use filters in the tradition sense, but do use fine screens.

First, I have used transmission drain, oil extractor (works well) and removed transmission pan to refresh FIPG...and check screen (zero sediments in screen)

Toyota did not use transmission pan gaskets, but high quality FIPG (form in place gasket)

Removing the transmission pan requires removing transmission pan bolts, slicing through FIPG between the pan and transmission housing.

If you have the correct special service tool, it is easy, otherwise tight quarters to work another tool.

Mating surfaces must be free of all FIPG and oils, otherwise the new FIPG does not adhere well...and transmission oil continues to drip from housing onto FIPG mating surface.

If no leaking or unusual shifting, then it appears you posted for advice on using an oil extractor for drain and fill of transmission because you are attempting to avoid the following:

crawling under the car, removing the drain bolt, using a drain pan, removing the transmission pan, scraping off FIPG, purchasing and applying FIPG.

Correct ?

Old 06-10-20 | 04:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

That West Marine 6.9QT pump is $69 here:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...uart--11047123

The 2.9 QT pump $54:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...14?recordNum=3

Thanks Yoda! I want to change the lawnmower oil easier than tipping the thing on its side.
Old 06-10-20 | 05:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The A341D, A340E , A650-E did not use filters in the tradition sense, but do use fine screens.

First, I have used transmission drain, oil extractor (works well) and removed transmission pan to refresh FIPG...and check screen (zero sediments in screen)

Toyota did not use transmission pan gaskets, but high quality FIPG (form in place gasket)

Removing the transmission pan requires removing transmission pan bolts, slicing through FIPG between the pan and transmission housing.

If you have the correct special service tool, it is easy, otherwise tight quarters to work another tool.

Mating surfaces must be free of all FIPG and oils, otherwise the new FIPG does not adhere well...and transmission oil continues to drip from housing onto FIPG mating surface.

If no leaking or unusual shifting, then it appears you posted for advice on using an oil extractor for drain and fill of transmission because you are attempting to avoid the following:

crawling under the car, removing the drain bolt, using a drain pan, removing the transmission pan, scraping off FIPG, purchasing and applying FIPG.

Correct ?
Interesting, the four A650s I've serviced all had a residue on the valve body and the screens had it as well and two had actual media filters.

For FIPG prep the 3M Rolox bristle disks work excellent and are purpose designed for extremely rapid yet completely safe cleaning of aluminum surfaces. Makes it crazy easy but if you don't have those tools then it would be much worse.....I don't know how it is to do on the ground since I've always done it in the air.

Last edited by Striker223; 06-10-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-11-20 | 07:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

While a great idea I think it's easier just to buy a set of ramps and drain it from the bolt. A lot more effort goes into pumping the fluid out then just turning the bolt and letting it drain. All the work that you do on your car Yoda and your saying replacing the crush washer is too much extra work.
Old 06-11-20 | 09:07 AM
bradland

I have a fluid extractor/dispenser as well and absolutely love it. It's one of those tools you don't appreciate the full value of until you own one!

To the OP's question- yes you can remove fluid via the dipstick but the trans cooler lines are more efficient. Removing through the dipstick you are limited to the amount of fluid in the pan.
Many forum members have great results diverting the flow of fluid out of the trans cooler into an empty container. Mark the container in Qt increments. Start the car and let the fluid flow up to the 1 Qt mark then shut the engine off and add 1 Qt of new T-IV through the dipstick tube. You can do this in 1 Qt increments, totaling 3 or 4 Qts replaced, then repeat in a month or so if necessary. Some people just keep going all the way until the fluid dumping into the container is bright red. Your choice but obviously have the required amount of fluid on hand.

Old 06-11-20 | 09:26 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bradland
I have a fluid extractor/dispenser as well and absolutely love it. It's one of those tools you don't appreciate the full value of until you own one!

To the OP's question- yes you can remove fluid via the dipstick but the trans cooler lines are more efficient. Removing through the dipstick you are limited to the amount of fluid in the pan.
Many forum members have great results diverting the flow of fluid out of the trans cooler into an empty container. Mark the container in Qt increments. Start the car and let the fluid flow up to the 1 Qt mark then shut the engine off and add 1 Qt of new T-IV through the dipstick tube. You can do this in 1 Qt increments, totaling 3 or 4 Qts replaced, then repeat in a month or so if necessary. Some people just keep going all the way until the fluid dumping into the container is bright red. Your choice but obviously have the required amount of fluid on hand.
Which is return line?
Old 06-11-20 | 09:29 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Which is return line?
I knew someone would ask that question.
It's been several years since I've used this method I don't remember. Maybe someone will chime in...

Edit- I think it's the pass side line.

Last edited by bradland; 06-11-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-11-20 | 10:28 AM
timmy0tool

i second bradland's method but be aware to replace the same amount of fluid that comes out!
using that method, you will drain more than what's in the trans pan which typically is only 2 quarts (1.9 liters).
there is over 8.7 quarts (8.3 liters) in the entire system (torque converter, valve body, etc).

and remember to only use toyota type-IV ATF!

and it's the driver's side according to this link:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html
Old 06-11-20 | 10:29 AM
timmy0tool

btw, i love my west marine oil extractor! been using it for years but even with it i still drain and fill using conventional methods, depending on the job.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (06-11-20)