LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Toyota Celsior Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 05:18 PM
GrapeDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Talking New Toyota Celsior Owner

I recently picked up a 1994 Toyota Celsior. This is my first Toyota product, after a lifetime of owning Honda products and some Miatas and STi. It's completely different than anything I've ever owned, but I'm loving it so far!

It has 72,000 miles and came with a glovebox packed with owner's manuals, Japanese registration, inspections, and other goodies. My main reason for purchase was for a fun RHD car that I can also commute in. I have a 55 mile drive each day.

Sorry for the large images! I cannot figure out how to reduce the size on the forums.

The day we picked it up!
New Toyota Celsior Owner-qfvavlm.jpg

Back at home. Installed my Japanese Jiko Shiki license plate. Discovered that the vehicle had yellow LED foglight bulbs.
New Toyota Celsior Owner-yuhspu5.jpg

New Toyota Celsior Owner-aakeekf.jpg

New Toyota Celsior Owner-x2fntpo.jpg

After a few days, the display for the Japanese GPS system decided to start working
New Toyota Celsior Owner-j34wzo6.jpg

New Toyota Celsior Owner-uamorym.jpg

New Toyota Celsior Owner-7isjyja.jpg

Goodies from the glovebox.
New Toyota Celsior Owner-wje2emt.jpg

Business card from what I assume is the selling dealer.
New Toyota Celsior Owner-jo2skir.jpg

Tax card showing the license plate number for the car while in Japan.
New Toyota Celsior Owner-znltmsg.jpg
The following 5 users liked this post by GrapeDaddy:
CELSI0R (06-25-20), JB92LS400 (06-25-20), JohnAndic (06-25-20), mikeHud1 (06-25-20), RA40 (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 05:35 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Dang that's a special car, sits nice, looks nice. Congrats!
Old 06-24-20, 05:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

wicked cool! that's a 1995-97 model year in the US, just in case you want to get parts for it in the future.

no sunroof is very different from what we get stateside. also i don't see an aerial antenna for the radio, which likely won't have the right frequency range here anyway. GPS is also different.
the main thing likely it will need is a timing belt change at 90k miles. the front marker lights are aftermarket since they should be amber, not clear. pretty cool to see yellow fogs, maybe factory?!

i too come from hondas and you will find toyota/lexus is a much different world, plus you jumped pretty far into the flagship model. i'm sure you already find that the ride and build quality is very different (comparing similar cars made in the same era).
Old 06-24-20, 06:14 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

awesome purchase, i love seeing this car with toyota badges... also is that a 1994 or 1995 because that's a 2nd generation
Old 06-24-20, 06:38 PM
GrapeDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wicked cool! that's a 1995-97 model year in the US, just in case you want to get parts for it in the future.

no sunroof is very different from what we get stateside. also i don't see an aerial antenna for the radio, which likely won't have the right frequency range here anyway. GPS is also different.
the main thing likely it will need is a timing belt change at 90k miles. the front marker lights are aftermarket since they should be amber, not clear. pretty cool to see yellow fogs, maybe factory?!

i too come from hondas and you will find toyota/lexus is a much different world, plus you jumped pretty far into the flagship model. i'm sure you already find that the ride and build quality is very different (comparing similar cars made in the same era).
A good heads up! I’m actually looking for a Japanese ECU. Mine is not doing so hot. If the US ECUs would work without issue, I’d swap one in. But it seems likely they are not compatible.

There is no aerial antenna. It’s built into the rear glass on this model. I only pick up one FM station. The TV tuner picks up audio from somewhere, but no video feed. The CD changer thankfully works (I added a Lexus CD tray). I play to install a modern headunit eventually. GPS does not work, as I do not have the discs.

Timing belt service was completed at 100,000km. I have 117,000km currently, so good to go. There is a deep at the transmission pan and somewhere above the steering rack. Otherwise, the vehicle is in absolutely superb condition.

The front lights have Stanley stamped into them, so I assume they are factory or an accessory. They have cornering lights built into them. So when you put your turn signal on, they illuminate the side of the car.

Foglights are definitely an aftermarket kit, but installed correctly.

The build quality is unlike anything I have ever driven. I work in a dealer group that owns multiple franchises. I have had the opportunity to drive many high end, modern vehicles. This is still a step above anything. I’ve owned my 2001 Honda Accord for 18 years. It’s still my trusty back up vehicle, but it even falls behind the Celsior.

Japanese year models are always a year ahead of the US. So while this is a second generation, they started in 1994 in Japan.
Old 06-24-20, 06:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome and super cool to see these stateside. Looks like the previous owner took care of it too. Enjoy!

Any leakage of the ECU capacitors should be easily fixed provided the leaking fluid has not damaged the traces.
Old 06-24-20, 07:06 PM
GrapeDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome and super cool to see these stateside. Looks like the previous owner took care of it too. Enjoy!

Any leakage of the ECU capacitors should be easily fixed provided the leaking fluid has not damaged the traces.
Thank you! It has been quite the joy. I had a 1994 Subuar WRX before this. The cars from Japan are quite a bit of fun.

Unfortunately, the traces have been damaged. Lscowboyls currently has my ECU. He has me on the lookout for a closeup picture of the lower PCB so he can attempt to rebuild it. Otherwise, my only other option is replacement. They seem to be quite scarce nowadays.
Old 06-24-20, 09:51 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by GrapeDaddy
The build quality is unlike anything I have ever driven. I work in a dealer group that owns multiple franchises. I have had the opportunity to drive many high end, modern vehicles. This is still a step above anything. I’ve owned my 2001 Honda Accord for 18 years. It’s still my trusty back up vehicle, but it even falls behind the Celsior.
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the car, I see a bunch of other interesting imports from that import-dealer you picked the car up.

Side note: I REALLY dig the light-up licence plate.

If you ever get the chance, get into a R32\33\34 Skyline. The best direct comparison you can have is like a E92 M3. Yes, M3. Same turn-in directness, same tightness, similar power delivery and response from the turbocharged engine, same overall ethos about it. Except it's 15 years older. The stuff coming out of Japan in the 90's was truly above and beyond what the rest of the world was making.

Hope the car treats you well. There's a ton of info on the forums here.
Old 06-24-20, 11:55 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
i also do lol
Old 06-25-20, 07:11 AM
GrapeDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the car, I see a bunch of other interesting imports from that import-dealer you picked the car up.

If you ever get the chance, get into a R32\33\34 Skyline. The best direct comparison you can have is like a E92 M3. Yes, M3. Same turn-in directness, same tightness, similar power delivery and response from the turbocharged engine, same overall ethos about it. Except it's 15 years older. The stuff coming out of Japan in the 90's was truly above and beyond what the rest of the world was making.

Hope the car treats you well. There's a ton of info on the forums here.
My 1994 WRX came from them. The experience was incredibly enjoyable both times. I highly recommend them.

The light up plate is one of my favorite things to come out of Japan. I’ve had this one for a number of years, but never had a proper vehicle to put it on.

I’ve had the unique opportunity to drive an R32 GT-R. I’ve sat in R33 and R34 GT-R. They are all quite amazing! I grew up around 70s GM vehicles and ended up with a 1993 Miata as a first vehicle (quite the change)! The Japanese vehicles are a step above everything else. Not that other cars are all bad...but these are just far superior.
Old 06-25-20, 11:16 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow thank you for sharing! Beautiful car.
That first image inside Japanese Classics is a heart breaker. I'd consider that pretty close to a dream garage.
Old 06-25-20, 12:06 PM
GrapeDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EthanS
Wow thank you for sharing! Beautiful car.
That first image inside Japanese Classics is a heart breaker. I'd consider that pretty close to a dream garage.
Japanese Classics is quite amazing!

Enjoy this album! It has pictures from both of my visits.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TEZqrLj
Old 06-25-20, 07:47 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I like it!
Old 06-25-20, 07:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

That silver Celsior in the background of your first photo was sold to this Youtuber!

The following users liked this post:
GrapeDaddy (06-25-20)
Old 09-23-22, 12:18 PM
Dbzjuarez
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome man! I love my 97 celsior just picked her up a couple weeks ago. Would anybody happen to know if an aftermarket viper car alarm system would work? My car didn’t come with the key fob.

Quick Reply: New Toyota Celsior Owner