LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 10:56 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

A while back I bought a case of oem transmission fluid at a lexus dealer parts counter he gave me a good deal since I bought a whole case, parts guy told me be very careful with most all after market parts for my lexus; sensors, brakes, timing belts, electrical, mechanical, all of it, he was pretty amendment about it and said be very careful.

At the time back then I thought he was just wanting me to source from him at the dealer as opposed to getting a better deal elsewhere, I realize now he was not saying that just so I would shop there.

I would concur with statement that support in the aftermarket realm is a major disappointment, careful out there what we put on our cars, may well be best served to pay up to get it right with oem
Old 07-06-20, 10:56 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to worry. No need to count , I have DIY done a 1995 and a 1998 . it is as the guys state 209 teeth on yours. 211 on the 1998 onwards
I used the AISIN kit on my 1995 . That was five years ago. No issues. I plan on letting 10 years pass (ca 40.000 miles for me) before I do it again.
The ballbeairings in the poly-V belt idler and tensioner really needed changeing.
Sounded very dry and overdue for a change due to very old grease. DIY you can change those bearings for 20$ total or buy new stuff for a bit more if you want well known maker of bearings. Spinn the other stuff too ( alternator, Ac pump idler etc) and listen for rough sound or feel. My other parts sounded fine.
Old 07-07-20, 10:13 AM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by CLLEXUSS
A while back I bought a case of oem transmission fluid at a lexus dealer parts counter he gave me a good deal since I bought a whole case, parts guy told me be very careful with most all after market parts for my lexus; sensors, brakes, timing belts, electrical, mechanical, all of it, he was pretty amendment about it and said be very careful.

At the time back then I thought he was just wanting me to source from him at the dealer as opposed to getting a better deal elsewhere, I realize now he was not saying that just so I would shop there.

I would concur with statement that support in the aftermarket realm is a major disappointment, careful out there what we put on our cars, may well be best served to pay up to get it right with oem
Completely agree, Genuine OE parts are always the wise choice. The higher price is easily justified through the increased longevity of the higher quality part. You can buy 3 aftermarket tie rods or 1 OE tie rod to achieve a comparable lifespan.

Belts, however, are a bit more transparent. There are only a small handful of major belt manufacturers on the planet. Bando, Opti, Gates, Dayco, and MBL are the major players. MBL aka Mitsuboshi, not to be confused with Mutsubishi, makes timing belts for Toyota. Basically every timing belt in the world, regardless of branding or supply chain, was likely made by one of the aforementioned manufacturers.

Depending on the year of your LS the serpentine (not timing) belt is made by 2 different companies.
9091602586 is an MBL belt
9091602585 is a Bando belt
(*The Bando labeled serp. belt is approx $15 online)
Old 07-13-20, 02:19 AM
garagestma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the information.
As to after market, I have over the last 5 years replaced a seized serpentine idle pulley, after market alternator, after market coils, distributor caps and rotors.
Fitted NGK spark plug wire set. (Not needed, was the leaking cap ecu problem, which I did and never had an issue since).
After market rear discs and pads and front discs and pads.
Cracked EGR pipe that I cut off, made a plate for the manifold and fitted a small K&N style filter to the exposed pipe to inlet.
The exhaust 'Y' rotted through, so I built a complete new system using Magnaflow race cats, x box middle, original resonators and magnaflow 1 in 2 out rear silencers, all in 2.5" stainless. After market Lambda sensors x 4. Still quiet inside, but pleasant V8 outside.
Every year passes it's yearly test and emissions.
I have never had a problem with any of these parts. Admittedly I never do much more than 5000 kms per year.
The timing belt on at present is unknown, but has been replaced as there is a mileage sticker under the bonnet. This shows I have only done about 20,000 kms in just over 4 years, but for peace of mind I am doing a major service.
I have for years used gates belts and never had a problem. Possibly more a case of care when fitting rather than inferior product and also maybe there is a minimum spec for Europe, I don't know. But this is what swung it for me to go with the gates belt.
At the end of the day, if I have chosen wrong, well my problem, but it's a freewheeling engine and I have home recovery for Europe, so a bit inconvenient if there is a problem, but not the end of the world.
I also believe (I may be wrong) that gates is original fitment on quite a few European cars.