LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 10:03 AM
mikeHud1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroock639
no problem

my car in my sig pic has the H&Rs installed to give you an idea of how lowered it'd be
That's a nice ride height.
After 3 years of riding those, what made you go back to stock?
Old 06-28-20, 06:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeHud1
That's a nice ride height.
After 3 years of riding those, what made you go back to stock?
lowering it on bigger rims takes away a noticeable amount of the 'lexusness' that makes the LS like the nicest ever thing to use in the first place... as far as i was concerned the experiment had ran its course and i was ready to get the full floaty extremely practical experience back

the car was still very smooth for the most part, but over bad roads or when pulling in and out of certain parking lots you had to be extra careful to not bottom out, and having people in the car just exacerbated that... i also couldn't go to my particular oil change spot since they have a drive on lift and the car would no longer fit onto it

i personally wouldn't do anything to the suspension besides just replacing worn bushings but i guess i'd be a hypocrite to say that lol
Old 06-29-20, 03:36 AM
mikeHud1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lowering it on bigger rims takes away a noticeable amount of the 'lexusness' that makes the LS like the nicest ever thing to use in the first place... as far as i was concerned the experiment had ran its course and i was ready to get the full floaty extremely practical experience back

the car was still very smooth for the most part, but over bad roads or when pulling in and out of certain parking lots you had to be extra careful to not bottom out, and having people in the car just exacerbated that... i also couldn't go to my particular oil change spot since they have a drive on lift and the car would no longer fit onto it

i personally wouldn't do anything to the suspension besides just replacing worn bushings but i guess i'd be a hypocrite to say that lol
Thank you for the reply.

Makes perfect sense, and I do understand. I've had 3 other vehicles over the years that were lowered by various applications. I am running stock 16" wheels and 225/60 tires so that may help.
You're right though, the Lexus is a different beast and over the past couple of days I've been wondering if I should just stick with a more stock configuration. Currently, it seems the only option is with the Strutmaster kit and you will see a number of complaints about them. Could be from people that complain about most things, I don't know.
I hope to have a decision made this week.
Old 07-02-20, 03:03 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeHud1
Thank you for the reply.

Makes perfect sense, and I do understand. I've had 3 other vehicles over the years that were lowered by various applications. I am running stock 16" wheels and 225/60 tires so that may help.
You're right though, the Lexus is a different beast and over the past couple of days I've been wondering if I should just stick with a more stock configuration. Currently, it seems the only option is with the Strutmaster kit and you will see a number of complaints about them. Could be from people that complain about most things, I don't know.
I hope to have a decision made this week.
i actually found a 94 LS at the salvage yard yesterday that had the strutmasters kit on it front and rear if that would be something if interest to you in getting. The car originally had air suspension so this was likely the reason for replacement.

Front kit

Rear kit

Old 07-02-20, 12:40 PM
mikeHud1
Driver School Candidate

@Losiracer2,
Thank you for taking the time to send this. What are the chances, and in Arizona at that!
I appreciate it, but I have my shop already ordering them for installment.

I'm hoping this turns out to be a good solution... The H&R springs just couldn't be found.