LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is YOUR CUT THE ENGINE NOW emergency temperature in degrees?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 03:17 PM
mrmox
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is YOUR CUT THE ENGINE NOW emergency temperature in degrees?

My daughter complained about Longer than normal Cranking in her 1991 Lexus LS400 now at 106000 miles.

I researched a little on the internet then enabled the TOYOBD1 OBD1 tool and tried it myself. Seemed like it’s normal quick start to me, but then I went for a drive around the block (about a mile) and near the end I hear a beeping alarm sound I had never heard before! Slow on the uptake, I eventually realize that the TOYOBD1 is warning me about OVER TEMPERATURE of the ECT! Reporting 237 degrees! So I cut the motor at that point.

I open the hood, OH NO, why is the Expansion Tank totally empty?

A week ago I asked for a Cooling Service with the Oil Change, could there have been an incomplete fill?

Should I let her drive it?

What is your CUT THE ENGINE NOW or else temperature?

Why is the dashboard gauge not reading even the slightest bit high? Stuck at half?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-20, 04:23 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmox
My daughter complained about Longer than normal Cranking in her 1991 Lexus LS400 now at 106000 miles.

I researched a little on the internet then enabled the TOYOBD1 OBD1 tool and tried it myself. Seemed like it’s normal quick start to me, but then I went for a drive around the block (about a mile) and near the end I hear a beeping alarm sound I had never heard before! Slow on the uptake, I eventually realize that the TOYOBD1 is warning me about OVER TEMPERATURE of the ECT! Reporting 237 degrees! So I cut the motor at that point.

A week ago I asked for a Cooling Service with the Oil Change, could there have been an incomplete fill?

Why is the dashboard gauge not reading even the slightest bit high? Stuck at half?

Thanks!

Another shop strikes again. I would bet money they f'd it up, good luck man. I have no idea how to fix it though. Don't let em off the hook!
Old 06-28-20, 03:03 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks!

I was told that 230 is normal in 108 degree temps lol by two mechanics
Old 06-30-20, 04:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

what was the temp gauge reading?
i usually cut the engine if the temp gets beyond 75%, but that's just me. not sure what temp that is in degrees, but likely it's way too hot anyway.

who did the coolant work? hopefully they are lexus certified who knows how to property bleed the coolant system. first step is to add coolant to the reservoir.
Old 07-01-20, 12:40 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

In the past, with other cars, (not Lexus) I didn't worry until the needle was just about to touch the red. Then I'd pull over til it cooled off. Only had one car that "over heated" to the point where it shut down. That was my 88 Cougar which I was trying to blow up on purpose. (X-wife's car) Both my LS400s have never gone past half way on the gauge, except when it had air in the system. Once it was bled out then it was fine.
Old 07-02-20, 07:14 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

The gauge clusters on these cars are known failure points. The gauge cluster and ECU also receive coolant temp signals from 2 different sensors; one in the radiator and one on the engine. The ECU sees the signal from the sensor on the engine (front of engine, near intake manifold).
237 degrees fahrenheit is not insanely hot, my 97 regularly cruises at 206, and will reach 235 sitting in a drive thru on a hot day (Chicagoland area, max of maybe 100). My temp gauge stays perfectly middle centered until 235 degrees, at which point it will shoot to red within 15 degrees. The gauge is a mere suggestion.