LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 06:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Thank you Yamae.

I just went to drive the car a bit to get a feel for what is going on again. I also took a quick video... notice the speed sensor is greatly affecting the speedometer and reading like I am driving much faster.

Also, I noticed a slight grab when I move from neutral or park, into reverse... like it attempts to move back ever so slightly, almost unnoticeable but then behaves like neutral... this would also seem to line up with the Reverse Control Valve being bad... I think.

Let me know your thoughts.
(This is a private link that can only be viewed by guys reading this thread)
https://youtu.be/jYDl3G0TjJ0
There are two rubber bushings, one on each end of the shifter - transmission linkage.

If the bushings are worn, then perhaps reverse detent position on transmission indicator plate is not positioning the transmission reverse hydraulic circuit....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bushings.html

Old 07-20-20, 11:43 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey guys thanks again for the help. I got a chance to go out and jack it up a few hours ago. With the back wheels off the ground and the car in reverse, the wheels will actually start spinning in reverse on their own but very weak. You can stop them spinning with your hand. Also, when in reverse, revving the engine does not make them spin any faster.
Old 07-20-20, 12:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Hey guys thanks again for the help. I got a chance to go out and jack it up a few hours ago. With the back wheels off the ground and the car in reverse, the wheels will actually start spinning in reverse on their own but very weak. You can stop them spinning with your hand. Also, when in reverse, revving the engine does not make them spin any faster.
Were you able to address the trouble code(s)?
Old 07-20-20, 06:32 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Were you able to address the trouble code(s)?
I was not. I haven’t actually messed with the transmission at all. Yamae suggested you may know the answer to a question I have: will an 02 sc430 transmission work on a 99 Ls400? Both are a650e.

Reason I as is I have a friend willing to give me one very cheap. Im thinking it may make more sense to just swap the trans if it’s possible, than throw money at different solenoids in the transmission. Thoughts?

Old 07-20-20, 07:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I was not. I haven’t actually messed with the transmission at all. Yamae suggested you may know the answer to a question I have: will an 02 sc430 transmission work on a 99 Ls400? Both are a650e.

Reason I as is I have a friend willing to give me one very cheap. Im thinking it may make more sense to just swap the trans if it’s possible, than throw money at different solenoids in the transmission. Thoughts?

Yes... Take your LS to an experienced mechanic.....
Old 07-20-20, 08:02 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Yes... Take your LS to an experienced mechanic.....
Thank you.

The car also had a high idle. I only got codes for speed sensor and transmission solenoid... would either of these cause the high idle in your estimation? Or rephrased, what could cause high idle without a CEL? I’d assume a vacuum line issue would throw a code.
Old 07-20-20, 09:29 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Thank you.

The car also had a high idle. I only got codes for speed sensor and transmission solenoid... would either of these cause the high idle in your estimation? Or rephrased, what could cause high idle without a CEL? I’d assume a vacuum line issue would throw a code.
I didn't get any code when I had a cracked ventilation hose connected to a PCV as you can see the detail here.

Judging from the spinning in reverse when you jack up rear tires, it seems that the reverse clutch is not fully engaged or slipping very badly. But there is not any specific reverse only clutch for a A650E. See the table below. The clutch C2 engages when "R", "4th" and "5th".
Don't you have any problem running very fast using 4th or 5th gear?

Mode, Clutch, Brake
Old 07-21-20, 05:53 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Yamae
I didn't get any code when I had a cracked ventilation hose connected to a PCV as you can see the detail here.

Judging from the spinning in reverse when you jack up rear tires, it seems that the reverse clutch is not fully engaged or slipping very badly. But there is not any specific reverse only clutch for a A650E. See the table below. The clutch C2 engages when "R", "4th" and "5th".
Don't you have any problem running very fast using 4th or 5th gear?

Mode, Clutch, Brake
Thanks Yamae,

Ill take a look at the pcv.

I drive the car about 40 miles home on the highway when I bought it. The speedo was reading 80 but my wife was following me in my dd and said we were only going about 65... from what I remember, at this speed the car was turning a bit over 2k rpms.

I don’t know if we ever fully made it into 5th gear, I only have the speed and rpms to go off of at the moment.
Old 07-21-20, 07:20 AM
Yamae

Thanks Yamae,

Ill take a look at the pcv.

I drive the car about 40 miles home on the highway when I bought it. The speedo was reading 80 but my wife was following me in my dd and said we were only going about 65... from what I remember, at this speed the car was turning a bit over 2k rpms.

I don’t know if we ever fully made it into 5th gear, I only have the speed and rpms to go off of at the moment.
Your 5th gear seems to be working OK since 65 miles - 2K rpm+ is quite reasonable. The problem is that your speedometer is not accurate nor the AT does not work when "R" is selected.

Regarding the speedometer it works getting the pulse signals from the ABS/TRC/VSC computer as I have informed you yesterday. I wonder why your speedometer shows 15 miles more than the actual speed. There may be another problem or a related problem with your AT. The AT has a speed sensor but it is only used to compare with actual speed (ABS) sensor signals for the ABS/TRC/VSC control and not used for the speed indication. This may be a key to troubleshoot the problem.

I worry that there may be some mechanical or hydraulic problem in your AT unit. The ECU controls the AT using only 7 different solenoids below. Sorry that this drawing is for a Celsior and it includes Japanese words but English symbols are also there and I am sure you understand what those solenoids are.

I am not good at mechanical issues and I always try to analyze problems electronically and I have been sending you what I can provide but everything was only electronic. I think there needs to analyze the problem mechanically or hydraulically too but those are beyond me. Is there anyone who is good at those?

Old 07-21-20, 07:00 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Neutral.safety switch?

A Rotary (neutral) selector safety switch incorporates a series of segmented contacts that contact with wiper arm contacts in relation to the detent position of the shifter.

The question I have is whether the neutral safety switch addresses the transmission reverse solenoid.

If this is the case, and there is an issue with the switch, then perhaps this would explain why no reverse, but fourth and 5th gear operate off (same solenoid?) when in "Drive".

Transmission safety switch

This image portrays contact pattern (but not wiping mechanism) of neutral safety switch while chart depicts contact output in relation to connector pins. This may not be an exact depiction of your neutral safety switch.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-21-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 07:35 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

A Rotary (neutral) selector safety switch incorporates a series of segmented contacts that contact with wiper arm contacts in relation to the detent position of the shifter.

The question I have is whether the neutral safety switch addresses the transmission reverse solenoid.

If this is the case, and there is an issue with the switch, then perhaps this would explain why no reverse, but fourth and 5th gear operate off (same solenoid?) when in "Drive".

This image portrays contact pattern (but not wiping mechanism) of neutral safety switch while chart depicts contact output in relation to connector pins. This may not be an exact depiction of your neutral safety switch.
Seems possible, though I don’t know if you saw my post about reverse sort of working when the car is on jack stands... the tires will spin weakly in reverse. Not sure if this information changes anything about your hypothesis.
Old 07-22-20, 08:44 AM
Yamae

Talking

I have to fine you because you used my photos without getting my permissions.
Old 07-22-20, 09:10 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Seems possible, though I don’t know if you saw my post about reverse sort of working when the car is on jack stands... the tires will spin weakly in reverse. Not sure if this information changes anything about your hypothesis.
Take your vehicle to someone qualified for diagnosis.
Old 07-22-20, 10:31 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Take your vehicle to someone qualified for diagnosis.
On a $700 car it’s just not worth it. That’s why I’m asking on these forums.

Part of why I asked you previously if an 02 a650e would fit... there’s not much point in spending money diagnosing this car. Seems that money would be better spent just tossing in a used a650e and moving on if we weren’t able to come to a conclusion on what’s wrong with the current transmission.
Old 07-22-20, 08:28 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

On a $700 car it’s just not worth it. That’s why I’m asking on these forums.

Part of why I asked you previously if an 02 a650e would fit... there’s not much point in spending money diagnosing this car. Seems that money would be better spent just tossing in a used a650e and moving on if we weren’t able to come to a conclusion on what’s wrong with the current transmission.

The glory of Lexus ownership is whether new or 20 years old, still expensive to maintain.

Everyone has been generous of their time.

Meanwhile, answers can be obtained through Lexus

Spend a little money there.

Quick Reply: No reverse.