LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

VSC problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 02:34 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VSC problems

So I just recently installed an aftermarket wheel and hub and ran into a problem with the VSC on my '99 LS400. Whenever I turn left or right, the traction control light flashes with a rapid beeping noise, followed by what feels like my brakes locking up on all four corners. It's very jerky, but they don't seize completely, just feels like someone is pumping my brakes rapidly. This goes away if I turn the VSC off, no problems turning at all. The pads and rotors are fairly new, and I didn't have any dash lights on prior to installing the wheel, so I think it somehow has to do with me taking out my SRS reel. I've searched and haven't found anybody with this same problem, and was wondering if the lexus gurus on here might have any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Old 07-19-20, 06:14 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by datstockls
So I just recently installed an aftermarket wheel and hub and ran into a problem with the VSC on my '99 LS400. Whenever I turn left or right, the traction control light flashes with a rapid beeping noise, followed by what feels like my brakes locking up on all four corners. It's very jerky, but they don't seize completely, just feels like someone is pumping my brakes rapidly. This goes away if I turn the VSC off, no problems turning at all. The pads and rotors are fairly new, and I didn't have any dash lights on prior to installing the wheel, so I think it somehow has to do with me taking out my SRS reel. I've searched and haven't found anybody with this same problem, and was wondering if the lexus gurus on here might have any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Took a while for me to figure out you're talking about the steering wheel and hub.

The SRS reel is the same thing as the Spiral Cable, yes?

I'm no expert, but this is what I think is happening. The spiral cable is supposed to send steering wheel angle info to the VSC. Lack of this signal, coupled with the yaw sensor sensing body lean is causing the VSC to activate the ABS system. IOW, the VSC thinks the car is out of control.
Old 07-19-20, 06:27 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Took a while for me to figure out you're talking about the steering wheel and hub.

The SRS reel is the same thing as the Spiral Cable, yes?

I'm no expert, but this is what I think is happening. The spiral cable is supposed to send steering wheel angle info to the VSC. Lack of this signal, coupled with the yaw sensor sensing body lean is causing the VSC to activate the ABS system. IOW, the VSC thinks the car is out of control.
Haha sorry, should've made that a bit more clear. I think you are correct, it sounds reasonable that there would be a steering angle sensor in the SRS reel. The car shifting directions without any input from the sensor would probably trick abs into thinking the car is sliding... I really had hoped this wasn't the case, because my last few cars with ABS have had no problem when I pulled the reel. Oh well, doesn't bother me too much that I won't have VSC, at least until I get a decent hub that incorporates the reel. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-17-22, 12:28 PM
OGlsjuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed a new hub adapter and quick release set up on my 1999 ls400 as well. Didn’t test drive right after. As it turns out I’m having the exact same issues as OP.

My question to OP is did you just turn VSC button off every time you fire the car or go back to stock setup?
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (04-19-22)
Old 04-18-22, 02:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

OP's Last Activity: 06-06-21 10:08 PM

i would put the reel back or find a hub that works with that reel in place. iirc, the reel also does the turn signal cancel after making a turn.