LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cluster gear light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 04:47 PM
khebre
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cluster gear light issue

Hi,

1990 LS400 with many miles. Interesting problem with the dash "R" light.

The "R" light or reverse indicator in the dash only turns on if you jiggle the gear shifter in reverse a bit. All other bulbs work ok.

Have replaced the bulb, currently cleaning under the gear shifter.

Anyone has a suggestion for me to try?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-20, 05:28 PM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

I suggest you to clean the contact #8 of the neutral safety switch attached to the side of the AT unit. It's a bit hard to remove the switch from the AT unit though. You can find the contact #8 in the link. The link is about the contact #4 and #9 but I am sure you can find #8 easily. Sometimes you need to use a new switch because of too much wear.

The contact #8 tends to wear faster than other contacts due to the reason that it works as a switch to the back up lights which consume 42W (21W X 2) too other than the shift indicator as well as to inform the gear position to the ECU. The peak current exceeds 5A and this eats the copper a bit every time you shift the lever to R.
Old 08-04-20, 08:45 PM
khebre
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Yamae, Is that switch same as "neutral start switch"?
Attached is from Lexus manual and is referring to continuity check between 9 and 4 terminal.

Old 08-04-20, 09:05 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I suggest you to clean the contact #8 of the neutral safety switch attached to the side of the AT unit. It's a bit hard to remove the switch from the AT unit though. You can find the contact #8 in the link. The link is about the contact #4 and #9 but I am sure you can find #8 easily. Sometimes you need to use a new switch because of too much wear.

The contact #8 tends to wear faster than other contacts due to the reason that it works as a switch to the back up lights which consume 42W (21W X 2) too other than the shift indicator as well as to inform the gear position to the ECU. The peak current exceeds 5A and this eats the copper a bit every time you shift the lever to R.
Hello Yamae;

Two questions:

Is this reverse light configuration (no relay) typical of all (1990-2000) LS400 reverse lighting?

Is there a plug--and-play LED solution to.replace the OEM reverse incandescent bulbs offering equal or greater light output (and "whiter" color rendering), but 5W -10W combined (X2) power consumption. (Quality LED's offer same light output with approximately 10% power consumption of incandescent)
Old 08-04-20, 09:07 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by khebre
Thanks Yamae, Is that switch same as "neutral start switch"?
Attached is from Lexus manual and is referring to continuity check between 9 and 4 terminal.
Yes, it is.
Old 08-04-20, 10:05 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Hello Yamae;

Two questions:

Is this reverse light configuration (no relay) typical of all (1990-2000) LS400 reverse lighting?

Is there a plug--and-play LED solution to.replace the OEM reverse incandescent bulbs offering equal or greater light output (and "whiter" color rendering), but 5W -10W combined (X2) power consumption. (Quality LED's offer same light output with approximately 10% power consumption of incandescent)
See attached below. Sorry that everything is in Japanese except the NSS and lights.

Toyota designs the back up/reverse lights circuit very simple. They didn't use any relay up to sometime when reliable semiconductor switches were widely available in this century. As fa as I knew, every car made in the last century by Toyota did not use any relay for the back up/reverse light(s).

There is a plug-and-play LED solution to replace the reverse incandescent bulbs. The tail lights failure sensor does not check the current of those bulbs and all you need is just install the LED bulb replacing the old bulb. LED bulbs these days are quite improved and it is a good idea to use them. But be careful for the low quality ones. Some LED bulbs are not well made and fail quickly blinking or just shutting off. Some even open fuses.
Old 08-05-20, 09:04 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

See attached below. Sorry that everything is in Japanese except the NSS and lights.

Toyota designs the back up/reverse lights circuit very simple. They didn't use any relay up to sometime when reliable semiconductor switches were widely available in this century. As fa as I knew, every car made in the last century by Toyota did not use any relay for the back up/reverse light(s).

There is a plug-and-play LED solution to replace the reverse incandescent bulbs. The tail lights failure sensor does not check the current of those bulbs and all you need is just install the LED bulb replacing the old bulb. LED bulbs these days are quite improved and it is a good idea to use them. But be careful for the low quality ones. Some LED bulbs are not well made and fail quickly blinking or just shutting off. Some even open fuses.
Thank you:

It is good to learn a second language, so will endeavor to read your diagram.

Does anyone have experience with a quality replacement LED bulb for our reverse lights?

inquired on this some time ago.
Old 08-05-20, 09:07 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Thank you:

It is good to learn a second language, so will endeavor to read your diagram.

Does anyone have experience with a quality replacement LED bulb for our reverse lights?

inquired about LED reverse lamps some time ago.
Old 08-05-20, 12:23 PM
khebre
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is.
Yamae, adding to my post, when I giggle the gear shifter in the "R" position the "R" light bulb in the dash flashes on and off but when I sit the gear shifter in the most rear position of "R" position the "R" light in the dash stays on until I release the gear shifter.

I was reading in the manual that is how you would adjust the switch by sitting it in the most rear position.
Is it possible the neutral safety switch just needs an adjustment?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-20, 04:06 PM
Yamae

Yamae, adding to my post, when I giggle the gear shifter in the "R" position the "R" light bulb in the dash flashes on and off but when I sit the gear shifter in the most rear position of "R" position the "R" light in the dash stays on until I release the gear shifter.

I was reading in the manual that is how you would adjust the switch by sitting it in the most rear position.
Is it possible the neutral safety switch just needs an adjustment?

Thanks.
Before I answer your question, I need to ask you that do you have any other problem indicating other gears?
Does the problem only occur @ R position?
Old 08-06-20, 04:31 PM
khebre
Driver School Candidate

Before I answer your question, I need to ask you that do you have any other problem indicating other gears?
Does the problem only occur @ R position?
Recently one time only the same issue occurred with “D” position.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-20, 05:11 PM
Yamae

Recently one time only the same issue occurred with “D” position.

Thanks.
In that case, it would be effective to fix the indication problem adjusting some.
What I worry about was that other gears indication might not be fully OK when the adjustment was only done for "R". Especially the "2nd" has a small contact and even a slight miss adjustment may cause another problem.
Old 08-07-20, 10:20 PM
khebre
Driver School Candidate

In that case, it would be effective to fix the indication problem adjusting some.
What I worry about was that other gears indication might not be fully OK when the adjustment was only done for "R". Especially the "2nd" has a small contact and even a slight miss adjustment may cause another problem.
Hi Yamae, unless this gets worse, I will do the following to see which will fix the issue:
1) Clean the contacts
2) Adjust the Safety Switch
3) Clean the inside of the Switch
4) Replace the Switch

It maybe a few months before I get down there and do an oil change at the same time but I will report back.
Please add any comments.
Thanks.
Old 08-08-20, 08:57 AM
Yamae

Hi Yamae, unless this gets worse, I will do the following to see which will fix the issue:
1) Clean the contacts
2) Adjust the Safety Switch
3) Clean the inside of the Switch
4) Replace the Switch

It maybe a few months before I get down there and do an oil change at the same time but I will report back.
Please add any comments.
Thanks.
It would be the best to replace the switch but it's rather expensive. Since there goes a big current to the contact for "R", the surface of it must be oxidized as well as worn some. The worn part must not be all the surface and there may be some possibility to fix the problem just cleaning and adjusting a bit aiming to change the contacting position some.