LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 VVT-i engine rebuild parts sourcing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20 | 12:27 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Default 98 LS400 VVT-i engine rebuild parts sourcing.

Hey guys I just picked up a cherry 98 LS400 VVTi with 268k for a steal of $800! I thought it was all good to go but I beat on it a little too hard before changing the oil and now it's developing a rod knock. It's not bad at all yet and honestly I could probably drive the thing another 20k if I babied it. Once the oil is fully warmed up it sounds like marbles slapping around on engine deceleration if it's in park and I rev it. Also if I hit the accelerator too abruptly it'll knock, especially if I take off from light. All signs of a loose rod bearing. But this car deserves a nice new engine so I'm wanting to rebuild it, and I want to save the crankshaft before I ruin it. I've done quite a few engine rebuilds but never tackled a 1uz. I've been shopping for parts and want to go OEM Lexus as much as I can. The one thing I'm having a tough time with is the rings. I've found OEM rings and a set of those is $450+ which I can't justify. I may have to though because I can't seem to find any for a 98 in the aftermarket. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I use rings for an older model (which are readily available for under $100)? I gotta pull the engine out here soon and figure out what the dimensions are of the rings. Here's a link to the oem rings: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/..._piston,,13011

Also I found a full OEM engine gasket kit for under $400. Here's the link to it: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-gasket-kit-engine-overhaul~04111-50111.html?vin=JT8BH28F5W0120941&make=Lexus&model=LS400&year=1998&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(%24_0)&location=engine_fuel_tool/engine_overhaul_gasket_kit,,04111.

One thing that confuses me about it is that is says passenger side yet it's the only option for an engine overhaul kit and the picture shows all of the gaskets top to bottom. This should cover everything... Right? On rockauto I could get a mahle full kit for $255 but might as well go OEM for an extra $120. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with some fel-pro head bolts unless that would be a bad idea (never had issues with my domestic engines I've rebuilt) but not sure if they're up to spec on a fine Japanese motor like the UZ. They're $35 for both heads vs $120 for OE Lexus.

One last thing, I would be stupid to not go OEM on the rod and main bearings-right?

Thanks for the help. I think I might do a little write up on tearing the engine down and going through everything if I'm gonna do a real thorough job on it.

Or I may replace the bad bearing and send it back in! haha probably not though.
Old 08-09-20 | 01:39 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cp2295
Hey guys I just picked up a cherry 98 LS400 VVTi with 268k for a steal of $800! I thought it was all good to go but I beat on it a little too hard before changing the oil and now it's developing a rod knock. It's not bad at all yet and honestly I could probably drive the thing another 20k if I babied it. Once the oil is fully warmed up it sounds like marbles slapping around on engine deceleration if it's in park and I rev it. Also if I hit the accelerator too abruptly it'll knock, especially if I take off from light. All signs of a loose rod bearing. But this car deserves a nice new engine so I'm wanting to rebuild it, and I want to save the crankshaft before I ruin it. I've done quite a few engine rebuilds but never tackled a 1uz. I've been shopping for parts and want to go OEM Lexus as much as I can. The one thing I'm having a tough time with is the rings. I've found OEM rings and a set of those is $450+ which I can't justify. I may have to though because I can't seem to find any for a 98 in the aftermarket. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I use rings for an older model (which are readily available for under $100)? I gotta pull the engine out here soon and figure out what the dimensions are of the rings. Here's a link to the oem rings: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/..._piston,,13011

Also I found a full OEM engine gasket kit for under $400. Here's the link to it: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-gasket-kit-engine-overhaul~04111-50111.html?vin=JT8BH28F5W0120941&make=Lexus&model=LS400&year=1998&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(%24_0)&location=engine_fuel_tool/engine_overhaul_gasket_kit,,04111.

One thing that confuses me about it is that is says passenger side yet it's the only option for an engine overhaul kit and the picture shows all of the gaskets top to bottom. This should cover everything... Right? On rockauto I could get a mahle full kit for $255 but might as well go OEM for an extra $120. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with some fel-pro head bolts unless that would be a bad idea (never had issues with my domestic engines I've rebuilt) but not sure if they're up to spec on a fine Japanese motor like the UZ. They're $35 for both heads vs $120 for OE Lexus.

One last thing, I would be stupid to not go OEM on the rod and main bearings-right?

Thanks for the help. I think I might do a little write up on tearing the engine down and going through everything if I'm gonna do a real thorough job on it.

Or I may replace the bad bearing and send it back in! haha probably not though.

I replaced my VVTi 1999 LS400 (1UZFE) engine with an LS430 (3UZ-FE )

I still have the 1999 short block. Did not burn any oil. Clean. Well maintained.

Replaced the engine because I like to post projects on this forum, AND, moreover, because Toyota could not provide factory correct valve springs

Last edited by YODAONE; 08-09-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-09-20 | 05:56 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Originally Posted by YODAONE
I replaced my VVTi 1999 LS400 (1UZFE) engine with an LS430 (3UZ-FE )

I still have the 1999 short block. Did not burn any oil. Clean. Well maintained.

Replaced the engine because I like to post projects on this forum, AND, moreover, because Toyota could not provide factory correct valve springs
How did that go? I assume it bolted in, what about the wiring and engine management?

Are you looking to part ways with the short block? How many miles are on it?
Old 08-09-20 | 07:03 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cp2295
How did that go? I assume it bolted in, what about the wiring and engine management?

Are you looking to part ways with the short block? How many miles are on it?
Here is forum post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nto-ls400.html

The engine management system is handling the
extra .3 litre...

No trouble codes.

The engines are almost identical externally.

Plug and play using LS400 engine wiring harness, ignition coils, coolant cross overs, throttle body, exhaust manifolds, upper and lower oil pans, engine mounting brackets, oil pick-up tube, bolts, air intake resonator,

The LS400 short block has 177,000 miles and is available.

P.M. should you wish to discuss further.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (08-11-20)