LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rough idle, unbalanced fuel trims

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 02:13 PM
relentLS
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rough idle, unbalanced fuel trims

I have a ‘98 LS with 127,000 mi. It runs on 7 cylinders at idle but feels smooth under load.

Bank 1 fuel trims are negative at -21% at idle but they normalize under a little throttle to within -10%-0%. Bank 2 fuel trims look good.

I had it at a shop but as usual they couldn’t find anything wrong other than possibly a bad oxygen sensor.

I replaced the bank 1 pre-catalyst sensor and it didn’t fix it. Also tried a fuel induction service which helped but didn’t fix it either.

I’m thinking it’s the bank 1 VVTI solenoid, an electrical issue like the ECU (but why would that only affect one bank...), a faulty fuel injector or a cylinder head valve problem.

If anyone has had a similar experience with one side of the engine not running right I would appreciate hearing your experience and how you solved it.

Seems like competent shops that are willing and able to diagnose these issues are rare these days. I’d like to be able to balance a coin on the engine while it’s idling.

Last edited by relentLS; 09-01-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 05:27 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

So it's just one cylinder not working right on bank 1 on idle? Did you manually take off one spark plug wire / disconnect the connections one at a time to figure out which one it is while it's idling?

When you find the right cylinder that is not working right it will run the same at idle when you disconnect it.

If you disconnect one of the connections and it is running the differently at idle, that is not the one that's the problem.

Shouldn't be a cylinder head / valve problem with the miles on the car as it is. I wouldn't dive into it too deep with more complex issues until you isolate which cylinder it is then trouble shoot it after that with the more common simpler fixes.
The following users liked this post:
relentLS (09-03-20)
Old 09-01-20, 05:52 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by relentLS
I have a ‘98 LS with 127,000 mi. It runs on 7 cylinders at idle but feels smooth under load.

Bank 1 fuel trims are negative at -21% at idle but they normalize under a little throttle to within -10%-0%. Bank 2 fuel trims look good.

I had it at a shop but as usual they couldn’t find anything wrong other than possibly a bad oxygen sensor.

I replaced the bank 1 pre-catalyst sensor and it didn’t fix it. Also tried a fuel induction service which helped but didn’t fix it either.

I’m thinking it’s the bank 1 VVTI solenoid, an electrical issue like the ECU (but why would that only affect one bank...), a faulty fuel injector or a cylinder head valve problem.

If anyone has had a similar experience with one side of the engine not running right I would appreciate hearing your experience and how you solved it.

Seems like competent shops that are willing and able to diagnose these issues are rare these days. I’d like to be able to balance a coin on the engine while it’s idling.
There are no trouble codes?

Check:

Spark plug tubes for oil.
Coil on plug ignitors and connections.
Fuel injector connectors.
Oil Contol Valves (remove and if either OCV rattles when you shake them, then defective)
PCV valve and hoses
Vacuum hoses.
relentLS (09-03-20)
Old 09-03-20, 11:15 AM
relentLS
Rookie

Got a chance to look at it today. I forgot to mention, there are no trouble codes. Valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals are new. The ignition coil and fuel injector connections look good. PCV valve and hose are new and there are no vacuum leaks. Didn't get a chance to try the cylinder balance test yet as it is a somewhat intermittent misfire.

However, I removed the bank 1 OCV and there is indeed a slight rattle when shaken. Think I might try replacing both of them, hopefully that is the issue.
Old 09-03-20, 02:01 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Got a chance to look at it today. I forgot to mention, there are no trouble codes. Valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals are new. The ignition coil and fuel injector connections look good. PCV valve and hose are new and there are no vacuum leaks. Didn't get a chance to try the cylinder balance test yet as it is a somewhat intermittent misfire.

However, I removed the bank 1 OCV and there is indeed a slight rattle when shaken. Think I might try replacing both of them, hopefully that is the issue.
Should be zero rattle..

Sounds like you found the problem.

Now, when you go to the dealer (Don't use aftermarket), they have a made in Mexico and made in Japan P.N.

Guess which OCV is more durable?
Old 09-03-20, 02:11 PM
relentLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Should be zero rattle..

Sounds like you found the problem.

Now, when you go to the dealer (Don't use aftermarket), they have a made in Mexico and made in Japan P.N.

Guess which OCV is more durable?
Dang, I already ordered the part from Lexus Parts Now. They listed 2 parts: #15340-50010, and an updated part with #15340-0F010. Of course I went with the "updated" part. Let me guess, that's the one made in Mexico...
Old 09-03-20, 02:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,536 Posts

15340-0F010 supersedes 15340-50010 only way to get 15340-50010 is find new-old stock.
Old 09-11-20, 02:41 PM
relentLS
Rookie

I replaced the Bank 1 OCV and reset the ECU. No change, still have the rough idle and negative fuel trims. I also had a listen to the fuel injectors and they sounded quite good.

This is looking more like an exhaust valve problem. I think one of them isn't sealing fully but it's not bad enough to cause a complete misfire and set a rich code. I guess a compression test would be needed. I hope I'm wrong though.

I suppose it could be EGR, fuel pressure or ECU related as well.

Last edited by relentLS; 09-11-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 05:08 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Those your symptoms remind me of a blocked air mix passage of an injector or the passage to injectors. It often causes a single bank fuel trim problem only at a lower rpm situation (idle and a bit higher rpm). I'd simply try cleaning the passage first before I tackle the valve. Hope the post below might help you some.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8906844
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
BNastee (01-29-21), relentLS (09-11-20)
Old 09-11-20, 05:35 PM
relentLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
Those your symptoms remind me of a blocked air mix passage of an injector or the passage to injectors. It often causes a single bank fuel trim problem only at a lower rpm situation (idle and a bit higher rpm). I'd simply try cleaning the passage first before I tackle the valve. Hope the post below might help you some.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8906844
I actually already tried cleaning the air mix paths. I used 1 can of Seafoam per side with no improvement. Then I tried B12 Chemtool spray but it got my cats too hot so I stopped. I also took it to the dealer for a fuel induction service. However the symptoms you describe are exactly what I'm experiencing.

Maybe I need to remove the injectors and clean the passages. I can see how those tiny air passages could easily get clogged.
Old 09-11-20, 06:41 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I actually already tried cleaning the air mix paths. I used 1 can of Seafoam per side with no improvement. Then I tried B12 Chemtool spray but it got my cats too hot so I stopped. I also took it to the dealer for a fuel induction service. However the symptoms you describe are exactly what I'm experiencing.

Maybe I need to remove the injectors and clean the passages. I can see how those tiny air passages could easily get clogged.
So you already have tried to clean air mix passages.
Have you used a compressor to blow cloggings right after you sprayed the solvent?
If not yet, I recommend you to try that before you remove injectors. After I was taught so by MngreLMatt, I make it a rule to use a compressor. I find it more efficient and needs less solvent to clean passages.
BNastee (01-29-21)
Old 09-11-20, 07:34 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
So you already have tried to clean air mix passages.
Have you used a compressor to blow cloggings right after you sprayed the solvent?
If not yet, I recommend you to try that before you remove injectors. After I was taught so by MngreLMatt, I make it a rule to use a compressor. I find it more efficient and needs less solvent to clean passages.
Online information:

Toyota offers a kit for what ails you. The SST depicted is required. (~$60 extra)

It is interesting your OCV rattles (which is indicative of failure), yet replacement did not resolve the issue.

Did you inspect opposing OCV?

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-11-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 08:53 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I had a very similar problem w/ the rich fuel trim condition & it took me a long time to find out the root cause. The problem turned out to be a bad (intermittent) MAF connector so here's what you should try: Hookup the OBDII scanner then start the car & let it warms up to operating temperature then look at the fuel trims on both banks in real time. While watching the fuel trims, wiggle the wires on the connector. You can also wiggle the connector and/or put some pressure on it to simulate a good mating. It'll take 30 sec or so for the fuel trims to change/go back to normal. If the fuel trims do go back to normal then you owe me dinner. Best of luck.
BNastee (01-29-21)
Old 09-12-20, 07:17 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I had a very similar problem w/ the rich fuel trim condition & it took me a long time to find out the root cause. The problem turned out to be a bad (intermittent) MAF connector so here's what you should try: Hookup the OBDII scanner then start the car & let it warms up to operating temperature then look at the fuel trims on both banks in real time. While watching the fuel trims, wiggle the wires on the connector. You can also wiggle the connector and/or put some pressure on it to simulate a good mating. It'll take 30 sec or so for the fuel trims to change/go back to normal. If the fuel trims do go back to normal then you owe me dinner. Best of luck.
I wouldn't think a bad MAF would effect only one bank.
Old 09-12-20, 09:16 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

What is condition of your COP (rubber) boots?

Experienced my first coil failure (1999)

The boots are removable and replaceable.

Inspected the junction of COP and metallic tube that extends inside boot to spark plug....

Definitely some resistance occuring there...and increase resistance may cause the spark to find another path.

Quick Reply: Rough idle, unbalanced fuel trims