LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) & Damper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 07:33 AM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) & Damper replacement

Good morning all!
I am replacing my FPR and Damper myself. Have all new OEM parts and new gaskets.
QUESTION: How do i release fuel pressure within the rail before taking off both parts...to avoid fuel spraying all over?
Thank you!
Old 09-07-20, 09:30 AM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by olsoncam
Good morning all!
I am replacing my FPR and Damper myself. Have all new OEM parts and new gaskets.
QUESTION: How do i release fuel pressure within the rail before taking off both parts...to avoid fuel spraying all over?
Thank you!
Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. You'll find it outside the fuel tank on the back side. Once disconnected turn the ignition ON as if you were starting the car. When you're positive the car will not start, as all the fuel in the lines and rails has been evacuated, you are good to go.
(Fuel pump connector is on the backside of the tank accessible through the trunk on 98-00 models. Earlier year models may vary I don't remember exactly...)
Old 09-07-20, 10:14 AM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. You'll find it outside the fuel tank on the back side. Once disconnected turn the ignition ON as if you were starting the car. When you're positive the car will not start, as all the fuel in the lines and rails has been evacuated, you are good to go.
(Fuel pump connector is on the backside of the tank accessible through the trunk on 98-00 models. Earlier year models may vary I don't remember exactly...)
@bradland
1994 LS400
two pics...fuel pump electrical connect area and fuel pump relay (California emissions car).
couple questions: 1) can I accomplish the same thing by pulling the relay? Or do I have to disconnect the electric connection at the pump? 2) after doing so, should I try to crank the motor to burn off more fuel and pressure?
thank you sooo much for the help.

pic from inside the trunk.
Old 09-07-20, 10:24 AM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

Either should work fine. I'd disconnect the electrical connector.
Edit- Yes that's the idea, cranking the engine with the pump disabled relieves the pressure in the lines.

Last edited by bradland; 09-07-20 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
olsoncam (09-07-20)