LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new to me lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 03:16 PM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me lexus.

I just picked up a 97 LS400, my girlfriend pointed out to me that "OMG! It's a Coach edition!!!" paid 1100 for it, has 185k on it. it "has issues" is what I was told when I got it, it had a sticky courtesy light sensor and several fuses blown (including the 120a alternator fuse). replaced a bunch of crap, unstickied some other crap, put in a new battery and it runs like a top.
Old 09-08-20, 04:39 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

These cars sometimes are used as 2nd cars for a lot of people so the batteries go dead a lot of the time, then the jumper cables get dragged out, then all it takes is to be just a bit careless with these jumper cables and pop fuses. It happens more times than people are willing to admit probably. Awesome score, congrats!
Old 09-08-20, 08:00 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the club! You're going to love it. Do you plan on modding it?
Old 09-08-20, 10:18 PM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Yup. Nothing insane, just some basic performance stuff, and a bit of suspension. Oh yeah, and I'll probably do a full stereo system too.
Old 09-08-20, 10:21 PM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLLEXUSS
These cars sometimes are used as 2nd cars for a lot of people so the batteries go dead a lot of the time, then the jumper cables get dragged out, then all it takes is to be just a bit careless with these jumper cables and pop fuses. It happens more times than people are willing to admit probably. Awesome score, congrats!
This was laziness and stupidity mixed. Too stupid to check that everything was hooked up right, and too lazy to do it right the first time. That's ok. everything is fixed now, all the door sensors are working, remote key fob works again, radio works, etc.. AC blows good again. now I need to check tire pressure, then look into detailing the interior.

Thanks! and Thanks for the welcome!
Old 09-08-20, 10:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. I hope you enjoy the ownership experience.
Old 09-09-20, 12:00 AM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by grmpybstrd
Yup. Nothing insane, just some basic performance stuff, and a bit of suspension. Oh yeah, and I'll probably do a full stereo system too.
That should be cool. Hopefully you're in a state that will let you have some fun with engine mods!
Old 09-09-20, 01:29 AM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

This was laziness and stupidity mixed. Too stupid to check that everything was hooked up right, and too lazy to do it right the first time. That's ok. everything is fixed now, all the door sensors are working, remote key fob works again, radio works, etc.. AC blows good again. now I need to check tire pressure, then look into detailing the interior.

Thanks! and Thanks for the welcome!
I looked into the service history of mine and found the gal that was the original owner about 15 years ago did just that with mine, let the Lexus sit as she had two other cars and let the battery go dead then she hooked up the cables wrong and blew out many fuses, I believe the dealership flashed the ecm as well iirc ( not sure if needed flashing but I think the dealer did it just in case it needed it // reprogramming & testing the ecm ) reading the history a while back. She towed it to the dealership and explained her story to the service manager and asked for a complimentary free service fix. She worked out a good deal with them and they replaced everything that needed replacement and 15 years later it's perfectly fine just like it never happened, runs perfect. Stuff happens.
Old 09-09-20, 01:58 AM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
Congratulations on the purchase. I hope you enjoy the ownership experience.
Thanks! hoping so.
Old 09-09-20, 01:59 AM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GenkiLexus
That should be cool. Hopefully you're in a state that will let you have some fun with engine mods!
Nope. california.
Old 09-09-20, 02:00 AM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLLEXUSS
I looked into the service history of mine and found the gal that was the original owner about 15 years ago did just that with mine, let the Lexus sit as she had two other cars and let the battery go dead then she hooked up the cables wrong and blew out many fuses, I believe the dealership flashed the ecm as well iirc ( not sure if needed flashing but I think the dealer did it just in case it needed it // reprogramming & testing the ecm ) reading the history a while back. She towed it to the dealership and explained her story to the service manager and asked for a complimentary free service fix. She worked out a good deal with them and they replaced everything that needed replacement and 15 years later it's perfectly fine just like it never happened, runs perfect. Stuff happens.
original owner gave it to Kid. Kid did nothing to/with it. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. I'll do a service lookup on it tomorrow, but I know the original owner, should be in pretty good condition.
Old 09-09-20, 12:56 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Nope. california.
​​​​​​ Bummer, same here. I'm only doing cosmetic and suspension mods.
Old 09-09-20, 05:29 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by GenkiLexus
​​​​​​ Bummer, same here. I'm only doing cosmetic and suspension mods.
my vortech supercharger passed cal smog no problem
The following users liked this post:
GenkiLexus (09-09-20)
Old 09-10-20, 03:03 PM
grmpybstrd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
my vortech supercharger passed cal smog no problem
how long ago? ca has gotten neurotic about cars. they even require "certified" air intake systems on cars.