LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98-00 Radiator,alternator,tensioner,power steering pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 06:32 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

It's not a good idea to cover the alternator w/ insulator tape like that as thermal dissipation may become an issue. If you really want to isolate the alternator from the ps steering pump then instead of making a cover out of the plastic bleach bottle, you should fabricate one out of thin aluminum sheet but do need to leave some air gap for it to disparate heat. It gets really hot in there.
Old 09-23-20, 06:36 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah,Ive been thinking of that too.There is an airgap but not on the back.I also saw a guy do it with what looked like aluminum tape on an earlier model.That bottle was a pain to cut to fit,made a pattern,yada yada yada.The tape is the self sticky kind that sticks to itself.

I'll get under there with the camera tomorrow and see if some kind of shield completely off and above the alternator can protect it.I dont want any loose metal around that power bolt.Ive seen an alternator fire (Thanks Carquest and your china crap) Dont want that again.

Last edited by spuds; 09-23-20 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 06:43 PM
spuds
Racer

If anybody has done this successfully I would love to see the pics.Or web pics if you know of any,I only found a couple.

Im thinking maybe a coffee can tent with mounts to the mounting bolts to raise it well off? Something along coffee can,I like it is a nice curve and maybe close to alt size?

Last edited by spuds; 09-23-20 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 07:57 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
If anybody has done this successfully I would love to see the pics.Or web pics if you know of any,I only found a couple.

Im thinking maybe a coffee can tent with mounts to the mounting bolts to raise it well off? Something along coffee can,I like it was a nice curve and maybe close to alt size?
Spuds I can appreciate the persistence with the Alt cover but IIRC the PS pump is a brand new OE Lexus part. You shouldn't have to worry about leaks for a VERY LONG TIME.
Once the job is complete double check the ACV and the hose between the pump and reservoir periodically. You should be good to go

Here's a link just in case- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ut-bottle.html
The following users liked this post:
spuds (09-23-20)
Old 09-23-20, 08:05 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Basically, you just need to make a half-moon or 3/4 moon shield out of thin sheet metal to prevent the ps fluid from leaking into the alternator so it's simple & it doesn't have to be perfect. If you're handy, you can cut the sheet to have ears then drill holes into it to take advantage of the alternator's mounting points or some mountings nearby. HD & Lowes have the thin metal sheet. When you fabricate it, pay attention & stay clear of the alternator's 12V bolt & hot wires so just in case it moves due to vibration, it won't touch & cut into the power bolt & hot wires, respectively.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (09-23-20)
Old 09-23-20, 08:09 PM
spuds
Racer

Thanks for the link.Being a 430 alt added another ear to deal with,that didnt help,LOL.

Can anything else leak oil onto it,IE,valve cover or such?Yes PS is OE.Im thinking long term,like I dont want to be gone and wife at 80 years old,alone,facing that repair.
Old 09-23-20, 08:12 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Basically, you just need to make a half-moon or 3/4 moon shield out of thin sheet metal to prevent the ps fluid from leaking into the alternator so it's simple & it doesn't have to be perfect. If you're handy, you can cut the sheet to have ears then drill holes into it to take advantage of the alternator's mounting points or some mountings nearby. HD & Lowes have the thin metal sheet. When you fabricate it, pay attention & stay clear of the alternator's 12V bolt & hot wires so just in case it moves due to vibration, it won't touch & cut into the power bolt & hot wires, respectively.
Yeah,I can cut a shield ,make tabs and holes to mount with.I wont be drilling into it and tapping holes,thats not my speed anymore.
Old 09-23-20, 08:15 PM
spuds
Racer

I sure appreciate your replies folks.2 heads are better than one,3 heads that much better.Really helps to have someone to brainstorm ideas with.
Thank You.

You know bradland,maybe I should just do the ACV delete.Does it really make much difference,also is it affected by freezing weather,anybody want to chime in on that and the drivability aspect? Certainly would eliminate a failure point.

Last edited by spuds; 09-23-20 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 08:20 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

There's a sizable gap between the ps pump & the alternator so fab the shield so that it'll sit in the middle of the two. Do not wrap/enclose the alternator w/ the shield as it needs air flow for thermal dissipation.
Old 09-23-20, 08:23 PM
spuds
Racer

Thumbs up

There's a sizable gap between the ps pump & the alternator so fab the shield so that it'll sit in the middle of the two. Do not wrap/enclose the alternator w/ the shield as it needs air flow for thermal dissipation.
Exactly,tent it as far as possible off the alt would be the right move. Any other place it can be leaked into,ie,valve covers or ??
Old 09-23-20, 08:27 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Originally Posted by spuds
Yeah,I can cut a shield ,make tabs and holes to mount with.I wont be drilling into it and tapping holes,thats not my speed anymore.
If possible, take advantage of the alternator's mounting points or mountings nearby. Do not drill & tap any holes in the alternator or the car's chassis to mount the shield.
Old 09-23-20, 08:29 PM
spuds
Racer

If possible, take advantage of the alternator's mounting points or mountings nearby. Do not drill & tap any holes in the alternator or the car's chassis to mount the shield.
Agree 100%
Old 09-23-20, 08:34 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

If you're not sure how to go about fabricating the shield, I strongly recommend you to leave it alone. Just keep an eye on the ps reservoir/pump on a regular basis & that'll be sufficient.
Old 09-23-20, 08:43 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

PS fluid is non-conductive so a drop or two of fluid into the alternator every now & then is fine as it won't cause it to short out & kill it. On the other hand, a sizable leak of fluid along w/ the crud & grime into the alternator will eventually cause the bearings to seize up & stop working.
Old 09-23-20, 08:43 PM
spuds
Racer

If you're not sure how to go about fabricating the shield, I strongly recommend you to leave it alone. Just keep an eye on the ps reservoir/pump on a regular basis & that'll be sufficient.
Im not afraid of fabricating a shield.Its a very poor design and I'd like to beef it up.Especially as the area is wide open right now I have plenty of room to play in.Though if I dont come up with something secure and Im happy with,then yeah,will leave it as stock.

Funny this topic came up,I had to make a top shield and a gas control cover for my hot water heater that sits in an open back porch area.A square Planters peanut jar fits like a glove over the control valve. Its doable.Just need a design that works.I have no doubt I can do it And if I cant only out a couple days time,time I have plenty of.

I'll run this past you all as I come up with ideas and see what you think.I think this can be done right.

Last edited by spuds; 09-23-20 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 98-00 Radiator,alternator,tensioner,power steering pump replacement