LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help - 1995 LS400 (Toyota Celsior) Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 01:58 AM
Rokat93
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help - 1995 LS400 (Toyota Celsior) Head Unit

So, first off, I live in Okinawa Japan, and recently bought a 1995 Toyota Celsior (JDM Lexus LS400) and the owner was very open about the problems it had.

One of them is the Radio/Nav/Climate system, which is called "Toyota Multi-Display" has a cracked screen and all the little LCD screens are messed up (As Pictured)

So what i'm trying to do is replace it with this Radio/Climate control, which came with the car when he sold it to me (He had never tried to install it) Now, i have no idea of what YEAR of Celsior this is from, or even if it will work at all

So, I took off the trim pieces, unplugged all wires (After battery disconnected of course) and went to install the new one. Well, every plug has a place in the new one except one, and even then, there's 3 of the old plugs that have no location in the new unit.
after plugging what I could in, and starting the car, nothing but the clock on top worked.

So, my question I guess is: Is it even possible to install this new unit? Is there something I'm missing? Is there an adaptor i need to find?

I saw this here: http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2087multiles_aircon.htm

And it says, if Google translate is working correctly, that I can not use the radio, just the A/C unit. If so, is there a replacement for the radio that WILL work?

Last edited by Rokat93; 09-19-20 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Title Edit
Old 09-22-20, 07:46 PM
novakedy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please let me know if you find anything. I am looking to either replace the LCD with an oem one (but can't seem to find one that's reasonably priced) since my screen has some damage, or replace the entire unit as an upgrade. Can't seem to find any solid info online. Thanks
Old 09-23-20, 04:20 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokat93
So, first off, I live in Okinawa Japan, and recently bought a 1995 Toyota Celsior (JDM Lexus LS400) and the owner was very open about the problems it had.

One of them is the Radio/Nav/Climate system, which is called "Toyota Multi-Display" has a cracked screen and all the little LCD screens are messed up (As Pictured)

So what i'm trying to do is replace it with this Radio/Climate control, which came with the car when he sold it to me (He had never tried to install it) Now, i have no idea of what YEAR of Celsior this is from, or even if it will work at all

So, I took off the trim pieces, unplugged all wires (After battery disconnected of course) and went to install the new one. Well, every plug has a place in the new one except one, and even then, there's 3 of the old plugs that have no location in the new unit.
after plugging what I could in, and starting the car, nothing but the clock on top worked.

So, my question I guess is: Is it even possible to install this new unit? Is there something I'm missing? Is there an adaptor i need to find?

And it says, if Google translate is working correctly, that I can not use the radio, just the A/C unit. If so, is there a replacement for the radio that WILL work?
Your issue has discussed here and there. Unfortunately there is no simple way to install the unit in your photo except the climate control unit. In case of a non-navi model, there is a simple way to use a set of harness to change the radio unit. But there is no harness available to convert a navi unit to an afternarket radio as the Celsiorup com says.
Old 09-23-20, 10:45 AM
Rokat93
Driver School Candidate

Welp, sounds to me like I need to find a car audio place here in Okinawa, because this is all far beyond my basic ability for wiring
Old 09-23-20, 02:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

as stated in the audio mother thread, if you want to go aftermarket there is a plug and play from beatsonic for the factory equipped navigation models however looking at their website today they don't carry that kit any longer

this is the only kit they offer for the LS400:
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-22ad.html

this is the kit i have for sale but it won't work for you since it's only for non-nav!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-97-ls400.html
Old 09-24-20, 12:50 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp, sounds to me like I need to find a car audio place here in Okinawa, because this is all far beyond my basic ability for wiring
Mensoree and ようこそ to the group. I can't add anything, sorry. Just wanted to say howdy as a former long-term resident of Japan. I hope you're enjoying Okinawa thus far and that you get to try habushu and beniimo ice cream! And that you get this sorted out w/ your vehicle, it's nice looking and I'm sure is low mileage and hopefully very inexpensive as used cars in Japan tend to be compared to the U.S.

oishii!

Old 10-01-20, 06:28 PM
novakedy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
as stated in the audio mother thread, if you want to go aftermarket there is a plug and play from beatsonic for the factory equipped navigation models however looking at their website today they don't carry that kit any longer

this is the only kit they offer for the LS400:
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-22ad.html

this is the kit i have for sale but it won't work for you since it's only for non-nav!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-97-ls400.html
Are you sure this is the right part as it's listed for 98-00 models and not the 95? I'm curious to know what the difference between the 21A and the 22AD is physically and if there is an easy way to convert a 21A for use with the nav models. Seems like 22AD is significantly more expensive and harder to find..
Old 10-02-20, 06:16 AM
Rokat93
Driver School Candidate

To update this post, I found a BeatSonic AOK-3 [Link] for sale (Thank god for Japanese Yahoo Auctions!), bought and installed it. Was pretty easy, plug and play with the Kenwood aftermarket unit i have. Here's some pictures, I don't have it fully installed yet, it's really just resting on the top of the head unit, as some brackets it came with are gonna need cut and some plastic is gonna have to be shaved down as well, but I think it looks pretty good for a few hours of work.
Old 05-30-21, 07:31 AM
emaster
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota Celsior ucf21 stock headunit multivision upgrade

I do repair same stock headunit after WHITESCREEN popular trouble
and then I do upgrade it
add functions:
- rearview camera
- play video files from usb 2.0
- play audio files from usb 2.0
- aux
- Bluetooth

video how it works after repair and upgrade you can see here

Last edited by emaster; 05-30-21 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-21, 11:02 AM
emaster
Driver School Candidate

send me it.
i will do repair it and then upgrade with functions added:
- rearview camera
- play video files from usb 2.0
- play audio files from usb 2.0
- aux
- Bluetooth

video how it works after repair and upgrade you can see here

Old 06-02-21, 11:39 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

First, beautiful car.

The separate radio and climate control may require a different wiring harness versus LCD display module...

You may be able to replace the cracked LCD touch screen module...

If you can obtain a part number and brand (Panasonic or Toshiba?) from the raw LCD, am willing to do some research.

Last edited by YODAONE; 06-02-21 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-11-21, 08:38 PM
emaster
Driver School Candidate

Default save your own interior apperiance

i think the best way for you it is do repair your own headunit multivision
it means:
- no need order and buy other headunit
- no need cut and change cars own electric wires
- save your own stock interiour appearance