LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone bought or sold an LS400 recently? Price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 01:22 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgwaltney
interesting pricing approach
so for a mint 99 LS4 w 125k mi that checks all your boxes, sounds like $7500-$8,000 is in the range
For an otherwise sorted car, 125k miles is the only thing stopping it from bringing the big $15-20k we've seen on bringatrailer for collectible examples.

I think most "normal" cars that have actually been driven in the last decade cap out at 10k currently.
Old 11-05-20, 04:45 AM
Deano59
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 93 ls400 w/175k miles on it for...Let me give a little back story here. A couple weeks ago I moved this ls on my trailer for a friend of a friend. He said at the time it would just shut off for no reason and it started right up to load it so I moved it from his office to his home and then no start. So I get a call from my friend this past monday saying this guy needs this car gone but whatever place he called could not move it soon enough for him .so I went and gave him the $300 (no i didnt mis a 0) fhis place was going to pay him and i now have what looks to be a fairly well maintained ls400.did the cel codes yesterday and got 14 and 31. From what ive read here so far ome of those was ign signal so i'm thinking crank or cam position sensor. looks like I'll find plenty of info here with a little reading.
Old 11-05-20, 11:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano59
I just picked up a 93 ls400 w/175k miles on it for...Let me give a little back story here. A couple weeks ago I moved this ls on my trailer for a friend of a friend. He said at the time it would just shut off for no reason and it started right up to load it so I moved it from his office to his home and then no start. So I get a call from my friend this past monday saying this guy needs this car gone but whatever place he called could not move it soon enough for him .so I went and gave him the $300 (no i didnt mis a 0) fhis place was going to pay him and i now have what looks to be a fairly well maintained ls400.did the cel codes yesterday and got 14 and 31. From what ive read here so far ome of those was ign signal so i'm thinking crank or cam position sensor. looks like I'll find plenty of info here with a little reading.
First off, nice story, that's a good way to come into a good car. $300 is a great deal. The 2 codes don't go together. The 31 is the Air Flow Meter which would not stop the car from running. Seeing how it starts sometimes I wouldn't think it would be the cam or crank sensors. The car shutting off has been discussed many times and alot have been contributed to this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html including one of mine.

Old 11-06-20, 07:57 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
First off, nice story, that's a good way to come into a good car. $300 is a great deal. The 2 codes don't go together. The 31 is the Air Flow Meter which would not stop the car from running. Seeing how it starts sometimes I wouldn't think it would be the cam or crank sensors. The car shutting off has been discussed many times and alot have been contributed to this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html including one of mine.
Crank sensors can absolutely cause the problem he described
its common in Jeeps, Mercedes W220 and other cars
Old 11-06-20, 09:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdls
Crank sensors can absolutely cause the problem he described
its common in Jeeps, Mercedes W220 and other cars
Ok. I've never had a crank sensor work intermittently, either it worked or it didn't. GM, Ford, AMC, I never had a bad Toyota/Lexus crank sensor. I would "start" looking at the ECU first with that description. But, to stay on topic of this thread----$300 is a great price especially if it was fairly maintained.
Old 11-15-20, 10:05 PM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been searching for a clean LS for a winter car and a 1st car for my kid. Been looking for a few months now. Friday evening I found a 1995, 1-owner, with 145k miles on it and I paid $3499. The car had new cam seals done @ 133k miles and got new tires at the same time. I see lots of LS's listed for way more then what I paid with WAY more mileage, well worn interiors, rust and various mechanical issues. I'm unsure who is paying that....but I wasn't going to. I tried to shrewdly negotiate the price down further as the price is at the top of what Edmunds says these are worth......but they weren't going for it and this was the cleanest example I'd seen for a reasonable price. I think I got a good deal.
Old 11-15-20, 11:10 PM
JRFisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the proud new owner of a 1999 LS400 with 178k for $4400.

I was simply looking for a reliable $4000 car and stumbled upon the LS400 as a potential candidate.

It's been garage kept and only a small blemish on the driver side rear door. Very very clean inside and out. The tool kit was untouched including the original batteries for the flashlight.

The only non functioning thing I have found so far is the electronic lock actuator on the passenger front door doesn't function, works by hand and key.

There is an engine vibration I need to correct. Hopefully it is simply the engine and trans mounts my searches have pointed me at.

I didn't expect to have to run premium fuel

Old 11-19-20, 04:58 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

This mint 1st Gen went for way less then some we have seen on BAT.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35W...0-lexus-ls-400
Old 11-19-20, 08:01 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
This mint 1st Gen went for way less then some we have seen on BAT.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35W...0-lexus-ls-400
To me that would even be way over priced for a 90 but so many people would disagree with me. I usually don't like white but with all the chrome it actually looks good to me. I love the back seat cushion in it, looks like it would just hug your *** cheeks so comfortably. Did all the 89-92 have that rear seat or was that special order? If it was a private sale it would go for alot less I think cuz people like us, who know the LS400, could pick out the stuff that's wrong with it. Like.....why is it only idling at 200 RPM and the P R and N lights lit at the same time when running? It has the 2 most expensive options but also most expensive if they have problems. Air suspension and Nakamichi sound system. Thanks JohnAndic for posting that link....I like seeing near mint LS400s.
Old 11-19-20, 08:37 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Car pricing starts getting weird when you're talking collector miles, which seem to be anything below 50k miles.

For that, originality, rarity of options, it's story and many other factors can really influence the price besides just cosmetic\mechanical condition.
Old 11-20-20, 11:16 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

The air suspension would be a deal killer for me.If it runs GREAT with less than 40K miles,9.800 is a screaming steal of a deal.Good to go for 200K miles EASY for 9,800? What a retirees dream car!! Beat that for a bargain.

Last edited by spuds; 11-20-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 11:14 PM
400fanboy
Racer

If I were a betting man, I would say that whoever bought it is not planning on daily driving it all the way to 200k.

That's very close to a collector premium and possibly could be going into a collection or some garage queen, maybe some weird oddball 5th car for the person that is driven rather rarely.

If you want to actually drive the car regularly, I wouldn't buy a air suspension car that's been sitting for almost all of it's life.

The seller has owned this car since January 2017 and has only put approximately 400 miles on it.
Rubbers and seals don't like that very much. This is a museum piece now imo. And if it went for only 10k... the market is quite soft. I would have expected more.
Old 11-20-20, 11:48 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
If I were a betting man, I would say that whoever bought it is not planning on daily driving it all the way to 200k.

That's very close to a collector premium and possibly could be going into a collection or some garage queen, maybe some weird oddball 5th car for the person that is driven rather rarely.

If you want to actually drive the car regularly, I wouldn't buy a air suspension car that's been sitting for almost all of it's life.

Rubbers and seals don't like that very much. This is a museum piece now imo. And if it went for only 10k... the market is quite soft. I would have expected more.
I expected it to be more around $20,000. If you check out the previous sales on Carsandbids there are a couple of LS on there. Could be the pandemic is making people rethink buying 20-30 year old cars. Maybe the 98-00 are starting to be the more desired ones because less were produced??

Old 11-21-20, 06:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spuds
The air suspension would be a deal killer for me.If it runs GREAT with less than 40K miles,9.800 is a screaming steal of a deal. Good to go for 200K miles EASY for 9,800? What a retirees dream car!! Beat that for a bargain.
I loved the air suspension in my 93......til it broke at 20 years and 150K.
I'm looking now for that "retiree" car but don't think I want a 30 yr old car, no matter what the mileage is. Even if it last til I die it'd be a 60yr old car. But....I would like to be driving a 60 yr old Corvette right now.
Old 11-21-20, 11:59 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nephew is a funny guy....
N-So,you fill up twice a year now?
Me-A little more often than that.
N-But you do use fuel stabilizer with each fill up,right?

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if this 1998 with 250K or so outlasts me,Im 64.My only question mark is electronics holding up for the most part.If its replaced Mr America here will get another toyoter.Cant afford to drive anything else.

My Jeepster is 53 years old,It could go cross country tomorrow though freeways....not so much,just cant keep up without really revving the heck out of it.100K miles on it.

The VW is 61 years old and could also do so,but Im doing some rewiring now so its down,just havent been enthused to finish it,only take a day.Go anywhere forever at 55-60 mph and has a remarkably comfortable freeway ride.All stock but engine a 1500 from a 1300cc.

Had a 67 and 68 mustang,both would easily handle todays world,both stolen,gave up on that unfortunately.

Last edited by spuds; 11-21-20 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought or sold an LS400 recently? Price?