LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best tech upgrade for Gen 1 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20 | 06:03 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Default Best tech upgrade for Gen 1 LS?

Since I first test drove a Gen 1 (an 89 or 90) was hooked on the LS as not mktg hype but truly one of the best cars in the world, bar none, at any price. How they broke down the S and 7 and bolt by bolt built the LS to be equal if not better overall and certainly more reliable, then brought to market at 40k initially is still one of the greatest automotive accomplishments in the history of auto design, engineering and manufacturing.

i finally got mine (a ‘99) in late 2004, one-owner w only 37k mi, have loved almost everything since (except for the poor design of the starter location -lol- as makes it unnecessarily labor intensive and $$$ to replace- ditto for the Tb/wp- but small overall price to pay for what really was the relentless pursuit of perfection- at that time, anyway) In fact every time I try to imagine another vehicle I’d like more (after the 3-6 mon new wears off) I can’t come up w anything (unless you’re someone who is ok w $1k+/mon lease to avoid Maint and after warranty repair shock; not me as I know vehicles are terrible depreciating “assets” and I’ve always kept my veh.s to and otter well past 100k mi - which narrows the field dramatically in the luxury or hi-end of any type

im not one who has to have all the tech bells and whistles and see most as just more complexity that creates more problems and more potentials negatives than positives

and I’m one who thinks the Nakamichi from that 98-00 era was better than most upgraded OEM systems, even to this day...

all that said, wondering what those of you who have added “technology” to your Gen 1 LS’s feel is the best addition and bang for the buck youve done

Not int in pimped-out rims and tires, or body kits, etc - am a stock guy - and prob would never go beyond moving Fr 16” to maybe 17”s

will admit I wish had better Bluetooth as I’m just using a pretty decent FM transmitter- and I’d def like CarPlay and perhaps rear view camera but I guess not enough to replace that great Nak head unit

So what tech add have you installed (or had installed) that’s your fav feature and really added to your enjoyment of this amazing vehicle?
Old 10-30-20 | 06:13 PM
400fanboy
Racer

I tried 18'' wheels, and they looked quite amazing, but the ride quality degradation was so massive that I've since sold them at quite a loss. Combination of less sidewall and a heavier overall wheel just made it horrible in comparison. Wasted money. But now I know better.

I really appreciate audio, and the speakers in my car were dying. I have the standard audio system and the drivers door was dead, rear speakers were on their way out. I'm not a wrench or electrical engineer, so I paid a shop $2k overall to install a full system in the car. Subwoofer, replace all speakers, tweeters, bluetooth head unit. Would have been closer to $1400-1500 if I didn't have a NAV equipped car, that computer required a lot of custom work to get it to work because I don't think there is an off-the-shelf harness for it. The end result is a level of audio quality that is roughly comparable to a premium audio system in a BMW 5 series or C\E class Mercedes. Not a Range Rover or Lincoln 100 speaker ultra-high-end, but right to the limit of what I consider diminishing returns. I think it was roughly a 50\50 split between hardware and labor to install it.

Otherwise I haven't bothered with anything else. Of the tech I would actually want, nothing else is able to be put into the car.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 10-30-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-30-20 | 06:33 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Vortech V2 blower
The following users liked this post:
timmy0tool (11-02-20)
Old 10-30-20 | 06:35 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I tried 18'' wheels, and they looked quite amazing, but the ride quality degradation was so massive that I've since sold them at quite a loss. Combination of less sidewall and a heavier overall wheel just made it horrible in comparison. Wasted money. But now I know better.

I really appreciate audio, and the speakers in my car were dying. I have the standard audio system and the drivers door was dead, rear speakers were on their way out. I'm not a wrench or electrical engineer, so I paid a shop $2k overall to install a full system in the car. Subwoofer, replace all speakers, tweeters, bluetooth head unit. Would have been closer to $1400-1500 if I didn't have a NAV equipped car, that computer required a lot of custom work to get it to work because I don't think there is an off-the-shelf harness for it. The end result is a level of audio quality that is roughly comparable to a premium audio system in a BMW 5 series or C\E class Mercedes. Not a Range Rover or Lincoln 100 speaker ultra-high-end, but right to the limit of what I consider diminishing returns. I think it was roughly a 50\50 split between hardware and labor to install it.

Otherwise I haven't bothered with anything else. Of the tech I would actually want, nothing else is able to be put into the car.
thx 400fanboy - appreciate you validating tire/wheel size trade off - did you go back to 16”s?
and def audio would be the natural upgrade if the head unit failed and needed replacing, then prob get pioneer Sony alpine head unit still using Nak amp w CarPlay B/T (maybe screen w rear view?)
Old 10-30-20 | 06:39 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Audio upgrade is way less compelling if you have a fully functioning Nak system. I was starting from a much worse point, so the cost\benefit is a lot different for me.

I was running 245\45\18 which is the same size as the stock, just more rim and less sidewall. Yes I went back to stock wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by 400fanboy:
Amskeptic (11-02-20), jeffgwaltney (10-30-20)
Old 11-02-20 | 01:43 PM
timmy0tool

really what makes these cars (really any car) feel old is the audio system. features like bluetooth handsfree talking, and streaming music would update it, but you already said you are happy with your use of an FM transmitter over the Nak so you're good!

i think a quality tint goes a long way to the inside comfort of any car; keeps the interior cool, less glare for your eyes, privacy, and doesn't overwork the AC. i'm not one to go with limo tint so a nice medium or light tint is most appealing to me. and yes tint is a tech upgrade as films have come a long way since the 90s such as nano-ceramic!

lighting has come a long way too, so better visibility is important. if you have halogen, upgrade to HID or LED.

a good quality set of tires adds to the ride quality and drivability of the car. there are countless threads on how sensitive the LS400 is to suspension upgrades and alignment; what more tires!

also a 99 is actually considered a 2nd gen LS .
jeffgwaltney (11-02-20)
Old 11-02-20 | 02:01 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yes, the nak stereo is amazing. if its in good working order it will **** all over the ML system. no surround sound or BT audio, but you just cant beat the nak stereo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stereorob:
Amskeptic (11-02-20), jeffgwaltney (11-02-20)
Old 11-04-20 | 08:31 AM
FloridaCam
Driver

I upgarded Kenwood system with hand free telephone, BT, SD & DVD player, NAV, Android & Apple Car Play, HD radio with rearview camera. Love it.
Old 11-04-20 | 08:03 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FloridaCam
I upgarded Kenwood system with hand free telephone, BT, SD & DVD player, NAV, Android & Apple Car Play, HD radio with rearview camera. Love it.
pics? Assume double din and faceplate made seamless fit? Which model Kenwood? Did you keep amp and speakers and run Kenwood head unit thru them or change out amp and speakers?
thx
Old 11-05-20 | 04:21 PM
FloridaCam
Driver

Originally Posted by jeffgwaltney
pics? Assume double din and faceplate made seamless fit? Which model Kenwood? Did you keep amp and speakers and run Kenwood head unit thru them or change out amp and speakers?
thx
I installed Kenwood Excelon DNX994S. SInce it is powerful enough, I bypassed the amp, keep the speakers (except the sub). I was thinking about adding the sub but the system was loud enough. I use about 20-30% of the volume.
jeffgwaltney (11-05-20)
Old 11-13-20 | 07:05 AM
fedaykien
Rookie

I installed ATOTO double-din headunit with Metra bracket specific for LS400. Replaced the tweeters with Focals. Added 1 Zapco DSP and 1 monoblock to power the original woofer. Any journeys now is much more enjoyable.
Old 11-13-20 | 10:09 AM
FloridaCam
Driver