LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picked up a 1995 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 09:34 PM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Picked up a 1995 LS 400

This is my 3rd Lexus, but it's been awhile. 1st was a 1996 ES 300 and 2nd was a 2004 ES 330. WONDERFUL cars. Like the title says, picked up a 1995 LS 400 with 145k miles, 1 owner, clean carfax, for $3500, and it's in great shape for a 25 year old car. My daughter turns 16 next month and it's actually her 1st car. I bought a BMW 335i Convertible a few months ago and intend to drive the LS this winter until she gets her license. The car is absolutely rust free, garaged it's entire life so the clear coat is mint. Small tear in the bottom cushion of the drivers seat and another in the rear seat bottom.....both about 1.5 - 2 inches. The leather is clean otherwise. Screen on the stereo is out, 1 rear door speaker is blown and all of the windows work, just not from the drivers seat switch. They all work as long as it's via the switch for that actual door. Cam seals were changed @ 133k miles. Newer tires with about 80% tread but needs front brake pads as the front passenger pad is just hitting the squeal bar. No check engine lights, oil leaks or mechanical issues of any kind except the pending brake pad change. I'm taking into my local Toyota dealer for an inspection and a transmission fluid flush and filter change in a couple of weeks. The car has 2 or 3 small dings and a few scratches were filled with the wrong color touch up paint but this thing is NICE!!

I'm open to any and all advice on preventative maintenance. My 2 previous ES's were trouble free. I'm assuming the timing belt was changed with the cam seals....but that's unknown to me right now.

The following 3 users liked this post by fgpalmer71:
BNastee (11-18-20), JohnAndic (11-20-20), spuds (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 06:11 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice car. You'll have the starter give out somewhere above 200k miles. When it does, replace the EGR pipe at the same time, because they go out around the same time. It's an extensive removal process to get to the starter(nestled beneath the intakes) and is easy to replace the egr pipe at that time. I'd be almost sure the timing belt was replaced when the cam seals were done, can't image someone not doing it then.
Old 11-17-20, 12:47 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

nice ride but i always hated those ecu's
Old 11-18-20, 05:40 AM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lextout
nice ride but i always hated those ecu's
please......tell me more!

while I was researching this platform I did run across a few things with regard to ECU issues. But it didn't seem to be an epidemic.
I do dislike the fact that it's not OBD2.....totally.

Last edited by fgpalmer71; 11-18-20 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 05:52 AM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaaa
Nice car. You'll have the starter give out somewhere above 200k miles. When it does, replace the EGR pipe at the same time, because they go out around the same time. It's an extensive removal process to get to the starter(nestled beneath the intakes) and is easy to replace the egr pipe at that time. I'd be almost sure the timing belt was replaced when the cam seals were done, can't image someone not doing it then.
Thank you. That's the kind of stuff I'm after!

I spoke with the shop that's worked on the car periodically over the years. I saw them on the carfax. They clued me in on somethings. 1st.....it was NOT the cam seals which were replaced, even though that's what's stated on the carfax. The shop tells me that they were chasing an oil leak replaced various seals and finally ended up replacing the valve cover gasket. They said the car came back 2 weeks later and they ended up replacing a cam plug they say is located towards the back of the head? They claim that fixed the oil leak and that was @ 140k.....5k miles ago. They're telling me that they've never replaced the timing belt in this car. They also know the original owner and gave me some back story on the car. Apparently it was purchased new for his wife in 1995. She drove it to the grocery store and to church until the early 2000's. Sadly she passed away and the husband only drove it to church on Sundays for years. On the carfax it showed the car being driven like 3k miles a year for the 1st 10 yrs or so.....so that matches up. Then the guy let his daughter drive it for a few years until this oil leak started sometime last year. She put about 16k a year on it for 3 years. Also matches what the carfax showed.

All that to say that I'm going to be changing the timing belt ASAP as it doesn't appear that's it's been changed. I'm having Carver Toyota inspect it for me on the 24th. Can the timing belt be easily inspected? Asking that before I search myslef as it's just popped into my mind.

Old 11-18-20, 02:45 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by fgpalmer71
please......tell me more!

while I was researching this platform I did run across a few things with regard to ECU issues. But it didn't seem to be an epidemic.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Nice find. I've been looking myself but I think I'll have to travel farther then I was hoping.
The best thing about this car is you know who the mechanic is that worked on it, someone you can use in the future if needed. The timing belt wouldn't be too hard to check by removing one of the upper timing covers but if it's still original then it should be changed.
You can go to https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers open an account, (free) go to service history and enter VIN and you can see what has been done to the car if done by dealer or an authorized service department.
Old 11-18-20, 04:45 PM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Nice find. I've been looking myself but I think I'll have to travel farther then I was hoping.
The best thing about this car is you know who the mechanic is that worked on it, someone you can use in the future if needed. The timing belt wouldn't be too hard to check by removing one of the upper timing covers but if it's still original then it should be changed.
You can go to https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers open an account, (free) go to service history and enter VIN and you can see what has been done to the car if done by dealer or an authorized service department.

Thank you! Much appreciated.